General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2002, 06:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Doin' it the old fashioned way #13!!!

Hi and welcome everyone!
We are a great group of supportive women who are losing or maintaining weight the old fashioned way-by lowering our food intake and through good old fashioned exercise! Anyone following or wanting to start following a balanced plan can join in with us! (Weight Watchers points counters, Food Mover counters, and calorie counters are the way most of us are keeping track.)
With all of the fad diets out there-no/low carb, juice fasting, pills, teas, prescription medications...it all boils down to eating less and exercising to lose the weight and get fit.
Come join us!
Aphil
Old 09-08-2002, 12:44 AM   #2  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Hi everyone! The new thread. Well I am doing good. I have been on the side lines. But trying to keep my head above water. I am still working my two jobs, along with school, and the kids and everything that comes with that.

I just invested in an elliptical machine. Wow is that challenging. It is an awesome machine. I have commited myself to atleast 5 minutes a day. Because 5 is about all I can squeeze in my busy schedule.

My mom started a new weight challenge today and the bank is rising to 500 bucks! I don't know that I will win. I am just hoping that I will lose more. I weighed in on their scale at 204 yet on my scale I was 195! So there was a big difference. I won't let that get me down. I went ahead and jotted down my weight from my scale in order to keep track of my losses throughout the course of this challenge. the challenge will last for 8 weeks. I hope to lose 15 lbs or close to that.

Well I hope everyone is doing well. Kanola welcome back to the thread. I have never had the pleasure of meeting you but Snowey never let your name fade from the thread. She would always give a shout out to you always wishing you well. I really believe that through the support of the participants of the threads here at 3FC does help me to keep focused and commited to my goals. Take care everyone. Talk with you all later.

Kina
Old 09-08-2002, 09:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/200/125

Height: 5'4"

Good morning all

Just wanted to get on notifications for this thread

I'm doing okay. I made it through yesterday without feeling like TOO much of a pig. And, we took my daughter to the park so I got a little walk in by the lake. I must say, I can so totally feel the difference now that I'm carrying an extra 18 pounds again! It really makes me think about how much I want to lose this weight after baby! The difference in my energy level once I lost all that weight was remarkable... and I can't wait to get it back (as much energy as one can have with a newborn waking them up all the time that is LOL).

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Christine
Old 09-08-2002, 04:43 PM   #4  

Hi everyone,
Hope everyone is ahving a good weeekend!
Silence/Christine-You are right, having a few extra pounds off can play a major role in yout energy level-it is amazing how tiring it can be to carry that extra weight around on your body! I am glad you took a walk-it is really good for you and the baby.
Kina-good for you starting a small goal with your new machine doing 5 minutes a day! Most people get a new treadmill or something, and get on it for an hour every day for a few days, and get sore and burned out, and stop doing it. Starting slow, but making sure you do it is the best way to still be doing it a year from now! (They are good aerobic machines too!) When I started getting into exercise after my first pregnancy, I got a recumbant exercise bike, and only did it for 15 minutes a day-but I was using it! I did it during the first half of a soap opera I used to watch while the baby was napping. When I started doing weights and resistance exercise, I started first with a simple 10 minute abdominal tape I did every other day. That and the bike is all I did for a few months-but it got my body used to regular exercise, and helped me shed a few pounds-and I worked up to doing more from there slowly.
I had a good evening last night and a good day so far...The puffs on Jasmine's costume are done and sewn on-and the skirt pieces are sewn together-I just have to wait for her to get home this evening so I can fit it to her, so I can start the hemline and gathering the waist of the skirt. I am not going for floor length, but more ankle length, so she isn't tripping over it. Her party is Saturday-and I need to wrap it up here in a couple days!
Weekends are more of my "fun" exercise days-like walks outside, yoga, or dancing...today I did bellydancing-and while the movements are usually slower than in an aerobic class, you tone up muscles you do not use much, or at least use them in this way. I get sore about an hour afterwards-right through the diaphram, middle and lower back, and hips. I am still embarassed to do it when anyone but the kids are around...but one day I will feel confident enough to perform in front of an audience.
My mother is coming tomorrow to watch the kids while I get a haircut and run a few errands...ahh-time out of the house with no kids or husband!
Well, better go-have a good day!
Aphil
Old 09-08-2002, 07:42 PM   #5  

Hi, I'm new here and curious about this thread. Do you all just count caloires? Isn't that hard to do?
I would love to do something simple and healthy. Would you have to eat basically the same things everyday to keep the calorie counting simple?

I need a healthy plan and have tried many diet approaches.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:52 PM   #6  
a little eccentric! :)

Location: Wisconsin, but longing to go home to California soon!

Quote:
Originally posted by skipper88
Hi, I'm new here and curious about this thread. Do you all just count caloires? Isn't that hard to do?
I would love to do something simple and healthy. Would you have to eat basically the same things everyday to keep the calorie counting simple?

I need a healthy plan and have tried many diet approaches.
It's really easy to count calories if you don't mind going to restaurants which publish their nutritional content (made easier with http://www.dwlz.com/restaurants.com) and are consistent about writing everything in a log. I use www.fitday.com, which is free, to keep track of my exercise and food intake. Unfortunately, their exercise tracker is completely wrong and only has about 2 of the exercises I actually do (I like The Firm tapes, but they are more circuit training oriented, for example), so I figure out my calories on http://www.caloriesperhour.com/ and then fool around with FitDay's stuff until the calorie count corresponds.

I think that around here, the goal is less calorie-counting based and more healthy lifestyle. I've noticed that most people here cut down the amount of bad stuff that we eat, up the amount of fruits and veggies, etc., and try to get at least 20 minutes of exercise a day. At least, that's what I do! And I consider it a lifestyle change -- for keeps, not for just until I am in shape -- which makes me feel that much more accomplished!
Old 09-09-2002, 02:36 PM   #7  

Hey all,

I just thought I'd let you know that even though I ate way hugely on both Rosh Hashanah nights, I compensated for that well on Friday (so my calorie count was around 1744... oh my lord, that is a lot!), and FAILED MISERABLY on Saturday (I counted to 2122 and then just threw my hands up in defeat!), I have no guilt. And, thanks to exercise (thanks, exercise!) I managed to go down a half pound from last week.

But oy, these Jewish holidays! Good thing you must fast for the next one

I also forgot how painful being overly full is. What a lesson.

Happy Monday!
Old 09-09-2002, 04:18 PM   #8  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hello everyone!!

Welcome skipper88; lots of us here do count calories (that's how I started; I needed to start somewhere) but as alibee said, it's mainly knowing what you are eating; not eating too much; and exercising consistently. I hope you become part of the group; it has been the only way I was able to do this journey!

alibee, glad that your days of holiday temptations are over! But that is such an uncomfortable feeling, isn't it (eating too much). We have to remember that yucky feeling the next time we're tempted.

Hi Nancy! Yes, the number is at 146. Cool! As of now I'm trying to maintain, but would like to focus on exercise to make my shape leaner-looking. Also to get some muscle tone in my legs, which have always been my body part I want to hide. So I've added ankle weights to a routine that normally doesn't use ankle weights; I'll try to keep it up.

Do you still take the nice long walks with your husband? Or is time (or losing daylight - oh no!) a factor. Wishing you a great meeting on Wednesday!!!

Hi Kina! You are so artistic with your ID picture!!! You must be so computer savvy. Congratulations on keeping your head above water...with two jobs, school, kids, husband...super woman!!

Hi Christine! Nice that you had a walk with your daughter. Is she psyched for a little brother/sister, or rather indifferent at this time?

Hi aphil - wow, your daughter's party is this Saturday already...time crunch! Will that give you enough time to finish everything? She will be entranced by her gown, and slippers! Do you get up super-early in the morning for your exercise? Like before anyone else wakes up? That's when I like to do mine...but so much harder to get up on time now that it's not so light out!

Hi jacklyn, how are you doing? Hope everything's going well!

hi tryin'hard! How's our resident teacher? I didn't get to comment before, or laugh, at the woman who feels it's her duty to comment on your clothing...there's one in every workplace, isn't there. I still have one of your phrases in my mind - "I don't eat that anymore" - so empowering!!Thanks!

Hi Kanola!! Again SO glad to hear from you!! Come right here for inspiration/help/ranting - that's why we're here!

I'll personal message you about my motorcycling fun this summer, so I won't bore the others!

So glad to have Kanola back - now let's see if we can get SPRITE and MELISA back!

Have a great Monday evening!

Your friend, Holly
p.s. - (am still pestering my husband to help me post that picture - it will come!)

Last edited by VermontMom; 09-09-2002 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-09-2002, 05:19 PM   #9  
Biker Chick!

trying to post the picture...
Old 09-09-2002, 07:30 PM   #10  

Wow, VM, you look good! Are you SURE you're a mommy?

Question: does anyone know how many cals is in a slice of Chicago-style deep dish/stuffed? Not the Sbarro kind, but the kind covered in tomato?

Thanks, all.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:57 PM   #11  

Hi!
Skipper-Weight Watchers points and Richard Simmons Food Mover are easier to keep track of rather than counting calories while basically doing the same thing if you need something easier as a way to keep track.
Most of us here just count the calories-it is a bit of work at first, but soon it is second nature. First-get a book that has the calorie counts of foods-I use The Fat Book-it has counts of calories, fat grams, etc. in foods, but htey go by many names.
You can get the calories of packaged foods on the container-just make sure you are eating the serving size stated. After a while you memorize the counts of foods you eat often, so you don't have to look anything up. If you eat out some, you can go to restaurant websites, and get their nutrition info-Taco Bell, Subway, Burger King,KFC, Wendy's, Pizza Hut-they all have this on their sites. I print off the page, highlight the healthier selections, and keep it in a drawer in my kitchen. Some of the ones that don't will get it for you if you email them-Bob Evans has done this for me-not with the whole menu, but I emailed them for a few specific items.
I keep a food diary with me at all times-one of those pocket sized little notebooks, and put it in my purse when I go out. I write down what I eat and the calories, and add it up. Then when you are done, you can just rip out that page if you want at the end of the day, or you can keep them all until your next notebook.
It really does get easier with a couple weeks.
As everyone here knows, I am a strong advocate of exercising daily-I have seen many women lose 20 or 30 pounds without exercise-and they are "skinny fat". They may wear a size 5, but their inner thighs are still jiggly, and they still have flappy underarm area, they are just smaller. Nothing gets rid of cellulite or tightens a saggy tummy after a baby like exercise. (Not to mention all the calories you burn, so you lose weight even faster!)
Alibee-1744 calories is not a lot, honey! Don't be down on yourself! You can actually lose at this level, it will just be at a slower rate. 2000 calories is a good maintenance level, so over the two days, you just ate at a maintenance level, not a gaining level! Do not beat yourself up!
Vermont Mom-WooHoo!!! (Does cat whistle!)
I can see why your hubby likes that bathing suit!
On a more athletic level-I can clearly see the muscle tone in your obliques (sides of abs) and in your chest and shoulders...good job! And yes, I like to do my exercise in the morning-right after my husband leaves for work, before the kids are up...it is MY time!
Yes, I hope to get her dress done by Wednesday night, or Thursday day...it is looking really nice! When we get her party pics back everyone will have to email me and I'll send you guys a pic of it! I am not as adept as you...cannot figure out how to post pictures on the board yet!
Everyone else, have a wonderful eveining!
Aphil
Old 09-09-2002, 09:01 PM   #12  

Don't worry, I'm not beating myself up. I was just awed, because most of that was from ONE MEAL.

As for Vermont Mom: Her abs ROCK! That's why I can't believe she's a mommy.

Finally, about working out in the morn: that's the best time to do it, calorie/fat burning-wise, but I am too lazy to get up that early, so mine always happens at night. Alas
Old 09-09-2002, 09:15 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/200/125

Height: 5'4"

Hello all

VM, if you don't mind my asking, how tall are you? Cuz you look damn good at 146 I guess it has something to do with the exercise thing but I was down to 149 before getting pregnant and I so did not look nearly that good I am 5'4" btw.
My daughter is happy about the baby but quite insistant that its a girl (we don't know yet) and I fear she'll be disappointed if its not!

Just my opinion, but I think that Weight Watchers points system is no easier than counting calories. You still have to calculate and you need to know something like the fiber counts and whatnot (i'm not sure, I've only looked over the paperwork, never followed it myself). The old WW system is more like the Richard Simmon's system.. that might be considered easier (although I find calorie counting about the easiest thing ever.. and after looking foods up a couple times you remember the counts on your favorites and don't have to go through that trouble any longer!).. Just my 2 cents on that one

So, I decided I need a personal chef because I need someone to introduce me to interesting, varying healthy meals! (Could one of you send me a winning lotto ticket please? .. no lotto in NC )

LOL

Christine
Old 09-09-2002, 10:08 PM   #14  

Hi everyone....

Today was weigh in day(at home WW on wed.) and I was down 1 pound. I was hoping for more after staying the same last week but no such luck. Oh well

Holly~~~ What a great pic.. You look great!!!!! You have to be feeling awesome and floating on Bruce and I are still walking but the weather this past weekend and today has been horrible... rain , rain and more rain. I did buy that Leslie Sansone walking videos and they are good (not as good as getting out) but good when you cant!

Hi skipper~~~ I am doing WW and it is really a great plan to do. There is absolutely nothing that you cannot have on WW. Everything has a point value and you are allowed a certain number of points a day based on your weight. So if there is a day you wanted to have a candy bar of any kind you can have it as long as you count your points. The point counting is so easy, it just becomes a part of your blood. The important thing is to pick something that you know you will be able to do for life. If you have any questions , be sure to post, with all of us here I am sure one of us will have the answer for you!!! And like Aphil mentioned, a food diary is important.

Kina~~ Glad you posted and that you are doing well, you have to be a busy lady with working two jobs. Are you still doing the slimfast?

Alison~~ Your weekend meals werent all that bad. You will be fine

Hello to everyone else and come on in and say hello...we know you are out there!!!

Have a great evening!

Nancy
203.5/195/???
Old 09-09-2002, 10:27 PM   #15  
Biker Chick!

Thanks, guys! I admit I was very apprehensive about showing so much skin but yes, one likes to show off one's hard work!

Christine, I'm 5' 6" - wish I was a little taller, but that's that. I have ususally been able to "camoflage" a higher weight than folks would guess me to be. Right now most size 8's are nicely fitting, or even a little loose - but 6 is snug (like the pants that got me in trouble with the gossips! )

thanks alibee, it is nice to see results in the ab area. Yup, definitely a mom 2X's! Two boys, 12 and 19.

and thanks aphil for being able to point out where the muscles have been worked! I thank free weights for that. And YOU for getting me started with calorie counting!

hi Nancy! thank you also! Yes, I'm feeling pretty

!

Have a nice night -

Your friend, Holly
Closed Thread