Old 01-21-2009, 08:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Smile Food Awareness Idea

I was thinking lately about how I think the part of me that says that I am full or have eaten enough is broken. I could eat so much food and never feel 'full'. Or maybe I've never really eaten slow enough to feel full. I have a hard time trusting my own body signals to tell me this. Part of this is that I often eat very fast, standing up, in front of the tv, in the car, with many many distractions and everywhere except the dining table.

I am really trying lately to taste my food, feel hunger and fullness, and avoid the distractions that make a meal go by without really tasting it. It's a huge challenge for me. But, mindlessly shoving food in my mouth has happened less often when I know I have to sit at the kitchen table to eat it.

Does anyone want to join me in a trying to eat our meals slowly, without distractions (no tv, radio, music, reading material, driving, walking), putting the fork and knife down between each bite and really enjoying food. I am thinking that maybe if I can make a meal last 20 minutes - I might even feel full.

What do you think?
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I think it's a great technique that can really work - and it's REALLY hard to do when you are used to having distractions - I usually eat lunch at my desk, in front of the computer. Breakfast too sometimes. Dinner at the kitchen table, but then we've got the radio on to listen to the news. I've really got some bad habits to break - I'll join you!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

My intuitive eating button is also completely missing. I can't listen to my body, it tells me to "eat and eat and eat and then eat some more". Which is why calorie counting works so well for me. It FORCES portion control on me. IT tells me when to stop. I can not rely on my instincts.

I for one actually enjoy eating in front of the TV or on the computer. I do it all the time. It works out quite well for me. If I were focused JUST on the food, I think that would make matters even worse for me and I would want to eat MORE.

I am never stuffed after I eat. I am satisfied though. Tummy wise that is. There are times when I will think, "Is that it? There's no more food? Shucks." But that feeling passes very quickly. It's not that I'm still HUNGRY, just that the food tastes good and I want more of it.

Good luck with your experiment. I hope it works out for you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I like the idea, but honestly, I got really bored when I did nothing but eat slowly at a table. Eating by myself might have a lot to do with that. I used to eat so fast, and being really bored made me want to eat fast and be done. On the other hand, reading a book, writing, or using the computer meant I had nice long spells between each bite - it really helped me learn to slow down.

But I do like the idea. I think it would work better if I had family to eat with every night. And I think I'm going to at least try to switch to only reading/writing instead of internet while eating, because I do want a calmer mind while eating.

Good luck!

Last edited by JulieJ08; 01-21-2009 at 10:32 AM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:59 AM   #5  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I know exactly what you mean about being able to eat and eat and never feel full... I used to have that same problem.

I have really been working on listening to my body... feeling hungry and satisfied. For me it was more about not constantly eating junk all day. I would eat so often I never even gave my body the chance to feel hungry. Now I eat slowly and stop when satisfied... not full or overly full... but satisfied.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/145

Height: 5'9

I have always been a fast eater. I think it's because I have four brothers, and my mom would always feed us family-style when we were younger. Often if I didn't eat the food quick enough, it would be gone because the boys ate it all! Then, when I got to Jr. High and High School we were given a half hour to leave class, get your lunch, eat your lunch, get your books, and get to your next class. So, I learned to eat quickly then too. It's no wonder I shove food in as quick as I can!

Like everyone else, I think my "full" signal is seriously broken. But, what's helped me slow down is to eat my meals with a huge bottle of water (I'm talking big!). I take a sip between bites. I concentrate on chewing slowly, putting my food down, taking a sip of water, then repeat. It's really helped me (a) get my water in and (b) eat more slowly.

I'd like to try the idea of only eating at the kitchen table though. I usually eat all my meals in front of the TV and this really only leads to procrastination. I sit there, eat, and think, "Well, I'll just finish watching this show, then get up and do my work". Haha, yeah, not so much. Maybe if I eat all my meals at the table, that'll help with that.
foxxy511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm another one that never feels full on good food. I do remember feeling overstuffed when we were eating junk. I got to the point where I hated feeling like I was going to bust after eating in and out burgers and fries or other fast food like that. Now I try to remind myself of that feeling when I've eaten a healthy dinner but I'm still wanting more. I'm trying to learn to be content with just being comfortable and not actually feeling full.
Night time is the hardest. Hubby and I have always been big night time snackers. I allow myself something small, but I just can't seem to not have something.
We eat more dinners at the table as a family which is good. I do eat with my computer a lot. I get easily bored/uncomfortable eating at the table by myself.
I think the mental/emotional side of losing weight is tough to figure out. It's great that you are trying different things to figure out what works.

Last edited by H8cake; 01-21-2009 at 02:21 PM.
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:47 PM   #8  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

[
I am never stuffed after I eat. I am satisfied though. Tummy wise that is. There are times when I will think, "Is that it? There's no more food? Shucks." But that feeling passes very quickly. It's not that I'm still HUNGRY, just that the food tastes good and I want more of it.

This is me to a T. I love the tast of it so I dont want that feeling to stop. I drank some homeade tomato juice the other day and in so many words, had a food **gasm it was so good. Its like I needed to shake my leg, like a dog does when he gets scratched. I love the taste of food so much I cant stop eating it!!!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:10 PM   #9  

Location: I live in far west Texas - and I love that good ol' southern hospitality and good ol' southern food!

S/C/G: 255/227.4/150

This is interesting. I've thought about this alot myself! I just ate supper, but my stomach feels hungry, and it even has the audacity to growl at me like I didn't feed it! What's up with that? I have been trying to eat slowly and savor the food, and I really enjoy the food that way, but it doesn't seem to do much for the "hunger". I rarely feel full after eating. I just have to make myself stop with food I've measured and put into TDP.
chunkydunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #10  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

I think that's a great idea. I can personally manage eating slower when I am reading the 3FC forum and make sure I don't over eat. But if it works for you, and everyone else, I think that's awesome Good luck to everyone who's going to do this.
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote