Old 01-21-2009, 12:22 AM   #1  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Default So Sad!! Yet strangely inspiring...TLC 900 lb Mom

I'm watching TLC right now. They just showed a beautiful girl from Texas that weighed 900lbs. After being turned down for 10 years for weightloss surgery, she finally found a Dr. to help her. Her first goal was to lose weight for herself but her secondary goal was to inspire others (or in the very least to say "don't let yourself get like this!") . She agreed to have TLC and the local news cover her weightloss surgery and recovery. She ultimately lost her life due to a cardiac problem during recovery about 2 months post op. Her determination to live inspired many men and women of super morbidly obese size to finally ask for help.

I feel overwhelmed sometimes with 89+ lbs to lose, can't imagine face a 750lb weight loss. The show inspired me to really be serious about this weight loss journey! I know she didn't just wake up one day at 900 lbs. She was 255 then 355 then 455, 655, 755, 855...It is such a reminder to live for the life we have now,to make changes to live healthier, to not let the weight keep creeping up or to pretend that it's not a big deal to be overweight.

My heart goes out to family of the young lady on the show. I appreciate what she went through in hopes of helping others while getting help for herself.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:34 AM   #2  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

I had to stop watching when they kept telling her she had such a beautiful face....that statement always bothers me!
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:39 AM   #3  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Because it wasn't beautiful or because it was past tense or....?

I didn't see it so not sure what you're referring to.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:02 AM   #4  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I didn't see this one, but there was one about Brookhaven? There was a guy named John who got to be quite heavy & was taken there. He was supporting himself, his wife & sister. He cooked all their meals from his bed @ home. I remember thinking how unsanitary that might be.

They snuck him snacks into the home, I do remember that. The nurses were unpacking his duffel bags & the wife & sister had hidden bags of chips in there for him. He was insisting to the nurses that he could still have his burgers & fries & chips, just in moderation. The nurses were pretty harsh with him & let him know in no uncertain terms that if he really understood moderation, then he would not be at the home. I had to really think about that one for awhile, wrap my head around it. How many times have I mindlessly eaten chocolate at work for the same reason? I'm stressed & how bad could that be? No more.

John ended up getting septic from a bedsore & passing away. I felt bad for him, and was not expecting that. The friend that he made there at the home (Scott? I don't remember, this was awhile ago.) wrote a song about him.

I was hoping they would do an update on the Half Ton Man. He seemed like such a nasty guy when the British reporter lady was there asking questions & he insisted he got to be that heavy due to genetics. I wanted them to do an update on him, but they haven't as far as I know.

There was one on Robin & Jacke. There was another one on Kathy: Escape from Obesity. That one they did an update on. She went to her HS reunion. She looked so beautiful.

There was another one, Mike from Canarsie. I can't think of his last name but he has been in & out of Brookhaven. Richard Simmons helped him lost a lot of weight in the 90's. He gained it all back. I read his blog sometimes. I am pulling for him, he seems so nice.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just wanted to know if anyone else has seen these?
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:07 AM   #5  
My Evolution

^^Meaning that common phrase that a lot of big girls get: "You have such a pretty face but..." or "You are so beautiful but..." or "You're so cute but.." or "You would be so much prettier if..." or they say it "You are just so pretty" with a look of shame or disgust like you are not living up to your potential or something.

Okay they are running a marathon of these type shows....
Old 01-21-2009, 01:17 AM   #6  
My Evolution

These moms are enablers!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My husband and I watched all three programs last night (Half Ton Teen, Half Ton Mom, and Half Ton Dad). The Mom died only 14 days post-op, and just 3 days after her (older, I think) daughter's birthday, not 2 months out (not that the details matter, it just strikes me as so sad, that she barely made it to her daughter's birthday and didn't have at least a little more time with her family after the surgery).

I was actually surprised that watching was hubby's choice (he usually hates when I watch these shows). We had a really good talk both about how we both are like and not like the folks in the shows.

Hubby says he's afraid that I'm becoming more and more reclusive (this winter has been especially hard on my pain levels and I haven't wanted to do much - mostly because an irrational fear of falling in the snow and ice. I haven't really told him that, but I've fallen three times this winter already, and I'm terrified of breaking something and being incapacitated). He said if I'd become bed-bound, he wouldn't bring me unhealthy foods, in quality or quantity, and I called him on that, because he brought me chile rellenos for dinner when he came back from running some errands last night (a lower carb choice, but still not exactly the best choice). He kind of hemmed and hawed about that saying that he only did that because I HAD been very active, perhaps even a bit too active the past few days (a new medication has improved my energy level and endurance and I have a bit of a habit to want to do EVERYTHING when I'm feeling decent).

My husband said last night (ouch) that he watches me watch these shows, and he is afraid I don't see myself in them, and I told him that I very much do see myself in the shows, and that if I decided that the weight loss effort wasn't worth it, I know I would regain beyond my highest weight. It's just how weight loss works, if you abandon your efforts, you gain it all back and then some. I really do think that isolation is the last straw for folks that get this heavy. Genetics probably do play a role, how much probably varies from person to person, but I think the biggest role is a shrinking life. The smaller the person's life becomes, the more they turn to food as their only stimuli from the outside world. Food can become friend, lover, vicarious travel, adventure and entertainment, comfort, sedative, stimulant....

I do see myself as being only a half-step away from this situation. Not necessarily weighing 1000 lbs, but letting food not only control my life, but become my life. Staying active mentally, physically, and socially, reminding myself of what role I want food to take in my life, and not succumbing to frustration really are key for me. It sometimes seems so easy to give up and just stop working or caring, but that would be like a dam bursting. Watching shows like this really do remind me why that would be a terrible thing.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:48 AM   #8  

Height: 5ft6'

I watch those every time they are on. I saw the half ton teen last night. I felt so bad for the mom in a way. She lodt a baby at 19months and as a result (plus I'm sure she has HUGE emotional problems) she spoiled her son almost to death with food. But, at the same time I thought how can you do that to your own child?!? THEN I thought wait a min...how can I do this to myself!! Ya know. Makes ya think. And I think that is the point of these shows. To make you look at your self.
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:58 AM   #9  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

I have never really understood how it could get quite that bad. May be a lack of educating myself on the issues.

If someone is so obese that they cannot even leave the house or get out of the bed to take care of themselves...How do they continue to get enough food to support that weight. Someone has to be buying and bringing them food constantly...and really bad food. Why would someone do that? Why wouldn't they say no and cut back the quantity or at least improve the quality of the diet until the person is able to fend for themselves?

I really am asking...Not judging.
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:00 AM   #10  
Cute, Curvy, Coquettish

Location: Manchester, New Hampshire. Originally from California

S/C/G: 192.5/180ish- I think! /150.0

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay View Post
I had to stop watching when they kept telling her she had such a beautiful face....that statement always bothers me!
It bothers me also. In fact, I was appalled it was a doctor saying that to her.

My blog is titled: Cute, but fat.

That is the story of my life....

You are cute, but when are you going to lose weight.
bunny43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:17 AM   #11  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Does anyone have any idea as to when the shows will replay? We were too busy watching UFO's & The White House last night so I missed them!

Kaplods, thank you for your honesty. My closest friend/adoptive mom is almost bed ridden now completely due to obesity. In fact, she isn't even bed ridden, due to breathing issues, she must stay upright in a reclining chair. Food has definitely become her outlet for everything she needs in life. I see her life "shrinking" and her food becoming even more important to her. You know, I have never considered the oppositional relationship of the two. I cannot help, I can only hope and offer my unconditional support. I make her some lowfat dish and she dumps a mountain of cheddar cheese on the top. I make her a delcious sauce and she pours whipping cream into it. She lives on a very fixed income but will spend her last dollar of the month on fried take out foods. I absolutely 100% refuse to take food to her that isn't healthy. She knows better than to even ask me.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
If someone is so obese that they cannot even leave the house or get out of the bed to take care of themselves...How do they continue to get enough food to support that weight. Someone has to be buying and bringing them food constantly...and really bad food. Why would someone do that? Why wouldn't they say no and cut back the quantity or at least improve the quality of the diet until the person is able to fend for themselves?

I really am asking...Not judging.
Because it doesn't happen overnight. It happens over years. Just a little bit every day, week, month... So first they are 250 pounds, then 300, then 350... and on it goes. They may have a spouse, children, friends who care for them. As time goes on, these people may act as "enablers," but their motivation isn't to make the person more fat. Often they don't know what to do. Plus someone who is bedridden can order food delivered--I saw a show where someone ate 12,000 cals a day, most of it delivered.

One day the obese person can't get up anymore. At this point, they do need a large number of calories just to sustain life, but their metabolism has slowed down from inactivity as well. It's not a matter of what kind of food they are brought--people in this condition need medical intervention and supervision, like at Brookhaven.

You can't just take these unfortunate people and lock them in a room and give them only what you think they should eat. There's this little matter of civil rights. So even at Brookhaven, patients have to agree to the program, and even then some of them cheat--plus once they leave they may not follow the plan.

The best way to avoid this situation is never to get there.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 01-21-2009 at 07:40 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:58 AM   #13  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

Kaploids said: "Genetics probably do play a role, how much probably varies from person to person, but I think the biggest role is a shrinking life. The smaller the person's life becomes, the more they turn to food as their only stimuli from the outside world. Food can become friend, lover, vicarious travel, adventure and entertainment, comfort, sedative, stimulant....

My gosh! That is exactly what I have been slipping into these last 5 or 6 months, a shrinking life! I see there are some aspects of my behavior I need to be looking seriously at besides food and exercise. Thanks for the AHA moment.
Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #14  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6.25''

I love all of those shows on Discovery Health and TLC. I find them so inspiring to see people taking charge of their lives. I remember a year ago I was watching a special called "The Half-Ton Man". It goes into detail about life in Brookhaven Obesity Clinic. Unfortunately, the man who lost 700+ pounds, gained it all back...and is back in treatment. His inspiration was Richard Simmons. ... his sweatin' to the oldies videos are fun...and that man was actually in one of the videos as one of the dancers (when he was thin). I hope he reaches his goal again. Although I have never been 1000lbs, we all know his struggle with food... It is an addiction for some of us... and one of the hardest to overcome because it is something needed for survival. (sigh)
170starting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:11 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I wish I remembered to watch these! I always forget!!
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote