Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #1  
Prince Lover

S/C/G: 240/232/139

Height: 5'5"

Default New Rules of Lifting for Women

I am not sure on which thread/post that I saw this book mentioned, but I just want to say THANK YOU to whoever it was!

I am lucky that my local library has a copy so that I did not have to wait for it from Amazon (I live in Germany), so I have been glued to it since this afternoon. This book is incredible! I cannot even believe how blissfully ignorant I have been about so many things! Reading this book has helped me put things into perspective, such as I do not care if I lose 50 pounds in 5 months just for the sake of losing 50 pounds... I now know WHY I would rather eat more and eat healthy and lift more! It really and truly helps to have the WHY behind the action. I understand now.

I never thought I would say this, but the scale has somehow lost its power now.

Thanks again! And if by chance there is someone reading this who has not read this book, I recommend it as it is very good... The author is funny too.
AppleOnYa76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:32 PM   #2  
Mel

It is a great book! Even after having read countless other books and having been lifting for many years, I learned a lot from it also and chuckled quite a few times. I heartily second your recommendation, even for seasoned lifters.

Glad you are enjoying it and it all makes so much more sense now

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

YEA! for you!! I hope we'll see you regularly in this forum as you start lifting and share your experiences! We have lots of regulars who can help you with all the things you'll experience such as soreness, recovery questions, moving up in weights, and all that good stuff! Hope you like chocolate milk , my personal favorite recovery snack.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

My copy is in the mail, although I have leafed through it before. But we'll spend some quality time together when it comes, my book and I
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:14 AM   #5  
Prince Lover

S/C/G: 240/232/139

Height: 5'5"

Thank you! I think you will see me on here quite a bit... My husband is deploying now and so I will not be able to ask him a hundred questions a day, so I am glad to have this forum to be able to ask the question when I cannot seem to find an answer.

I did my first official strength training workout yesterday with my husband's kettlebells (I have done them before, but this one counted). I am sore this morning! Wowza!

Thanks again!
AppleOnYa76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

Height: 5'6"

Hi julie,
did you get the book yet?
kb
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #7  

I did! I just need to get myself one of those balls for the core work. I'm excited, because my food hasn't been too exciting lately, so I'm expecting this to be a nice shot in the arm. I have fond memories of lifting many years ago .

The informational part of the book was certainly interesting, although he seems to make lots of recommendations based on "one small study." But sometimes you just need a structured program to follow, and I think this will be it .

Last edited by JulieJ08; 01-20-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #8  

can you do alot of the work at home then? since you mentioned getting a ball.
i have little 3 lb weights and a step, but not much else.
i flipped through the book today at barnes an noble.

it was tempting.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

With New Rules of Lifting, a lot of the exercises can be modified to do at home. I believe there is a section that discusses that.

If you are a beginner, I'd suggest maybe getting an adjustable dumbbell set but ones that are quick change. Or invest in dumbbells of various sizes (5, 10, 15, 20, 25lb).
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #10  

I'll probably have to deviate a fair amount, because I'm going to use resistance bands, so we'll see how it goes. Has to be more than I'm doing now
Old 01-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #11  

I talked to one of the personal trainer guys at the gym today.
it's quite expensive, ~30$ for a one hr session, even with my membership. but they do an assessment prior and recommends follow up assessments to make sure clients are reaching their goals.

i wonder though if he would be familiar with this book though? probly, since he's in the business and it's a pretty popular book.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

$30/hour is a good price around here! Be sure to let him know what your goals are and not let him push you into a packaged program that doesn't meet your needs.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #13  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Kaebea,

Just want to reinforce what Pat had to say. Please do not assume that just because he is a trainer he is going to be familiar with this book. He will most likely or should be very familiar with the lifts within the book.

Short story: My neighbor belongs to a big box gym here in the city. She was so excited because they are beginning some kind of program that promotes the New Rules of Lifting for Women. She called me specifically about this because 1) I had already introduced this book to her and convinced her to purchase it.
2) She wanted further assistance in teasing out how to do the rotation of the scheduled workouts.

Books been out for over a year. If they were really a great gym they would have already embraced this in my opinion. I've actually visited this place and the free weight section was a disappointment but I digress.

My point.

Not everyone is on the same page at the same time.

Unfortunately the experience from several who have worked with a personal trainer did not initially meet their expectations. When you meet with him have your goals/needs clearly defined. Write them down on an index card or piece of paper. Keep a copy for yourself as well.

If there are specific lifts or exercises you want him to cover write the names of those exercises down on the paper/card. I just want to be certain that you get out your training sessions what you expect. You are paying for this service.

Of course, if he has anything additional that he thinks may assist you in learning the movements or perhaps to build a baseline of fitness then by all means consider that too.

But let him know straight away what your ambitions are. Let him know about the book and if he is familiar with it... bonus!

I only emphasis this because the more clarification you can provide from the very beginning the more satisfying your sessions will be for you. Some trainers are very good about drawing out people and listening to their needs and interests before the physical assessment and developing a specific program for just that person. Others, ehh. Not so much.

Good luck and Enjoy! It really is so much fun and worth the effort to learn.

Last edited by Lydia227; 01-21-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:37 AM   #14  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleOnYa76 View Post

I never thought I would say this, but the scale has somehow lost its power now.
I am sooooo happy to hear you say this!!!! I wish more women felt this way.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:44 AM   #15  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
$30/hour is a good price around here! Be sure to let him know what your goals are and not let him push you into a packaged program that doesn't meet your needs.
Mine charges $50-$70 an hour depending on who you want. The chick I would like to train with is $70 an hour!
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote