Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 253/253/209

Height: 6 Feet

Default I want to walk, but not motivated

any advise?
xbubloox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Sadly, my best advice is "do it".

I'm not motivated to brush my teeth before I go to bed... but I do it because all my teeth will fall out if I don't. I'm not motivated to pay bills each month, but I do it so that I don't get poor credit.

How about planning it, and taking it slow?

Plan tomorrow at 3:00 to take a 10 minute walk. (Or whatever works for you) Set your alarm or whatever, and then at 3:00 go for that 10 minute walk.

Then plan another walk for the next day (or the day after). Repeat until you feel you can built up. But don't get ahead of yourself. You still have to take that first step.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #3  
DRUG FREE

S/C/G: 165/153/130

Height: 5'8''

Maybe get a change of environment? I don't really do it anymore because of lack of time and bus fare, but I'd like to get out of my block every now and then and walk around downtown. Find somewhere with nice scenery.. Somewhere you'd like to walk. Walking around the block all of the time can get pretty boring.
MISFIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

What exactly goes through your head when you feel like going for walk but then feel "not motivated"? Are you thinking it's tiring, it's cold, too far, etc?

What might help is to just put on your shoes and walk for 10 minutes and then come back. That's it! Start doing that every second day. See how you feel. Motivation will come.....

It's like the chicken/egg thing. Which comes first? Motivation to exercise or exercise leading to motivation?

Maybe it's the latter in your case, and that's okay!

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #5  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

Even 10 minute walks a few times a day is beneficial. You can start there! If you go to a grocery store or the department store make a few round trips then do your shopping.
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:03 PM   #6  

i have to agree with faerie...take motivation out of the equation and just do it. tell yourself that not working out is not an option (sorry for the double negative) and that's it. no matter what you're excuse is...tired, cold, difficult, sore...not an option.
Onsecondthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #7  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I have been having the same issue becuz it's so dang cold here right now; in the summer, I love to walk and do, but in the winter I find it hard to face that cold wind, and -20C to -30C temps. I agree with setting aside a special time to go walk; I do that too (that's my newest strategy). I also do the store shopping and walking method for some of the days like RN suggested; I purposely walk around the entire outside of our grocery store which covers from veggies to frozen foods and avoid the junk aisles completely.

Many doctors are suggesting 60 minutes of total exercise for 5 days for weightloss, but I started out at 5-10 minutes just walking around our yard, then parking lot, and now up and down our very long laneway to the back of our lot. Once you are out there, the time just seems to fly by. I also do other exercises indoors at 5-10 minute increments throughout the day.

I agree that it is a choice we have to make. Make a commitment or deal with yourself to do this. I know if I wait for motivation, I won't ever do it becuz I can find too many excuses. Tell yourself you have to do it for your health's sake, and that's it ...

I agree about changing where you go walking might help too; go somewhere different each day. I prefer to go to parks, lakes, the country, to stores, malls, and the like; it makes it go so much faster. Ever noticed that when you are walking around a mall or store, you don't even think about the fact that you are actually exercising, but you are!
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

See my signature.

Say: It's not about motivation, it's commitment.

Repeat as necessary.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #9  

I don't think there is any such thing as "motivation". There is either will or won't. You make a choice to walk or not. With either choice there are consequences. Schedule you exercise just like any other appointment and then do it.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote