Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-20-2009, 07:15 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default ?? bedsores??

well after posting the good news about my brother getting off dialysis..he was taken back to the hospital with a really high fever. They transfered him 3 hours back to the hospital that did his GB and they found the infection was from bedsores on his bottom. They went in and cleaned them out and hoping they can get them healed up. HE got the bedsores while being in a coma after surgery and the emergency surgery that they had to do to repair the leak. Has anyone had dealing with anything like this?? Its like they just cant keep him well. I will keep you updated on his progress.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

oh dear. and there's no easy way to say this, but there's no reason that your brother should have bedsores, especially not infected ones! even in the coma, he should have been turned and repositioned often!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #3  

He was turned often and was even in a airbed. He has them and they are really bad. They cleaned them out yesterday and now has to stay at least a week in ICU.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

what a MESS!!!!!!!!!! i'm so sorry.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:49 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 315/156/135

With renal disease sometimes there is so much difficulty maintaining hydration that skin issues will come up even with great care. I have an active, running, climbing, playing child with renal disease and his skin issues are terrible. Now that you know the sores are there and they are treating them I hope that everything gets better. One word of advice, when he does go home, request a weekly wound nurse. Medicare will usually cover it if the wound is stage 3 or 4. (I am assuming that he has Medicare with ESRD) A wound nurse is better trained in the different treatments available and will know if a treatment stops working and something else needs to start. Best wishes to you and your brother!
Mom2QJandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:49 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

On no sorry to hear about your brother!

My sister's best friend's Dad was in a terrible car accident that left him in a coma for a few months only to recover with brain damage when he woke up. He has since past on but when he was in a coma it was a constant struggle to control the bedsores. He also got one even though he was turned often.
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

You can count on my prayers
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #8  

He is really down and depressed now.I keep telling him about the wonderful poeple i know who have lost weight and have great lifes after surgery.I am going to try my best to get him to come here and maybe he can get some much needed inspiration. Thanks for all the prayers!! They are what kept him alive!!
Old 01-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

I am so sorry to hear that, he is in my thoughts and prayers.
Nevaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

My mother got bed sores when she was in her coma(stroke related) even though she was turned every 2 hours and on an air bed. Sometimes it just happens but they were able to get them healed so I pray that your brother will also be healed, and quickly.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #11  
Excited about my new life

S/C/G: 348/256/190

I hate to hear that your brother is having such a difficult time. I am sorry I don't have any words of advice. I will keep him in my prayers.
worthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

I'm so sorry for your brother and family. Tell him to hang in there! I pray to God that he will start and heal and start to reap the benefits of WLS. A GOOD LIFE!!! The bedsores are something that are easy to get and hard to get rid of. Pressure, poor nutrition, disease process, immobility, etc. Please keep us up-to-date on his progress and give him a big hug and tell him he is in my prayers.

Last edited by nanj; 01-22-2009 at 03:40 PM.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:53 AM   #13  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
oh dear. and there's no easy way to say this, but there's no reason that your brother should have bedsores, especially not infected ones! even in the coma, he should have been turned and repositioned often!!!!!
Absolute rubbish, and offensive to medical and nursing staff.

Bedsores can form within 30 minutes of a person being in a single position if they have underlying pathology that contributes, such as renal disease. Repositioning, air mattresses etc. will help to prevent them, but if someone is really sick and unable to be repositioned (and lots of ICU patients are so very unstable that frequent handling can cause them to drop their blood pressure and have cardiac issues) then they will probably get bedsores.

Sorry to hijack your thread, dgramie, but I don't want you to think that your brother wasn't cared for properly, or that any person may have contributed to his current illness.

My best wishes are with him. It will be a long slow process, but there's no reason why he can't come back from this as well. Adequate nutrition is a big factor in wound healing, so make sure you get on his back and keep those supplements up, especially protein and the anti-oxidant vitamins. And some zinc wouldn't hurt either.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #14  

I feel my brother had wonderful care. He has a top surgeon in the nation do his surgery and got constant care.He actually had 2 nurses with him at all times. HE was just so critical that he couldnt be moved or even touched for the most part.They wanted to keep him as lightly sedated as possible while on the vent and kidney machines. He is home now and being treated for the staph with iv antibotics and going to the wound center daily. He is doing some better but has a long long road ahead of him.
Thank you so much for the support i have gotten here!!

Last edited by dgramie; 01-27-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:47 PM   #15  
Old Cackler

thanks for the update - we are all pulling for him - please keep us posted on his progress.

As you know, most of us had no complications -but we consider ourselves the LUCKY ONES in many respects. Surgery is a risk - no matter what.

sooo, keep us posted - and tell your brother that we'll be looking for him to give us updates all by himself when he feels up to it!