Old 01-18-2009, 10:44 PM   #1  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 173.5/ 156.6 /145

Height: 5'4"

Default I need encouragement....

I joined LA Weightloss Jan. 2 weighing 166.8. I am weighing once a week because my center is 30 miles away. My first week I weighed 164.4...the second week I weighed 163.8. Is it always this slow???? I am on plan 2 and I think I am getting too many calories for weight loss. I think it would work better without the bars. But, I just purchased 21 weeks worth!!! Please just tell me it is going to work following the plan to a Tee. I am inclined to tweek it to less calories. Thanks, Marie
luv2clog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:24 AM   #2  
LAWL Salt Police

Yours is a typical reaction early on into the program... It's very hard to wrap your mind around the fact that you need to eat more to lose weight..

Give it some time.. You are doing really well.. Typical, healthy weight loss is 2 sustained pounds a week (allowing for the daily yo-yoing you'll have because of water weight and physical food in your system)... So in reality, you're right where you need to be.

You have to think about this more as a lifestyle change rather than a diet. So some weeks you'll see little movement, but at the same time, you're training your body to accept healthy food and reject the bad. When all is said and done at the end, the things you do now will allow your body to more quickly get rid of any indulgences you have.

Don't let yourself adjust your intake until you talk with a counselor.. I made that mistake a couple of times and paid the price. The weight loss stopped and it took a while to get back on track.. For all the high pressure sales and crap they can give us, the diet plan itself is sound.. It really works...

Look for victories outside the COD on weigh in day.. Take heart in being able to pass up the fast food drive through.. Relish that renewed spring in your step..

You can do it!!
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:52 AM   #3  
One Day At A Time

Default Thanks!

Thanks Dan! I really needed to hear that! I know if I say that to a counselor at the center they are going to tell me to eat everything on the plan because that is their job. But, hearing it from you helped a lot!
Old 01-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #4  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Marie......a loss is a loss is a loss. I know we all want it to fall off right away.....we are instant gratification girls.....we all feel it....but like Dan said, with practice, you will learn to accept the slowness of the sclae.....you will let yourself feel good about the food you are eating....the new sense of hope.....the consistent enerygy.....all of the good things eating right can do for you. I kow it seems like it is going to take forever, but before you know it, regardlessof what the sclae says, you are going to be shopping for some new jeans. Hang in there, and visit our victories thread to help you learn to notice the little things that can give you little pick me ups between losses
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

Marie, You also have to be aware that a lot of factors can make that scale show a bit higher or lower. When I first started, I went to a weigh in wearing jeans. Those jeans weighed probably 2 pounds more than the clothes that I had been wearing the weigh in before so I was highly distressed about the lack of success.. when in fact I probably was just as successful that week as the one before. Also factors are the time of day that you weigh in, as the day goes on and you eat and drking more, you generally will weigh more. So if you weighed in the morning one day and in the evening the other, you are just tracking changes in your daily weight. Really the scale does not just stay at one number all the time but goes up and down in crazy ways. You are probably just picking up a fluctation. So give it some more time. Pay attention to the salt that you are eating too, as a little salt can make you retain water. Surprising things can make you have a bad weigh in. I've had them due to salty turkery, rotiserie chicken (they salt that stuff like crazy) Things that I thought were good choices, ended up not being so great. So anyway, give it a while and see where it goes, and pay attention to the small things surrounding a weigh in. As you don't want to get down on yourself or your diet when all that really happened is you lost 2 pounds, but wore a one pound heavier outfit... is that really something to throw the diet out over? And won't every diet you try suffer from the same variation. Also the closer you get to your goal, the slower the weight comes off... And you didn't start out at 300 pounds, so you won't likely be seeing biggest loser sorts of losses... Even 3 pounds is almost 10,000 calories if you lost it all in fat, and in truth is a healthy rate of loss.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #6  
One Day At A Time

Default Thanks

Thanks Nicole and Barbara! You are both right and I think I am more comfortable with this plan now. We will see. I think to lose weight I should eat less calories than I am. But, I will continue on and see.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

Marie, If you cut your calories too much, your metabolism slows down and you stop losing weight. Plus you feel starved all the time, and who can keep that up for long enough to lose a significant amount of weight. If you don't lose at a reasonable rate, they will eventually adjust your plan at the center. I had my plan adjusted a few times, as the weight loss slowed down, or as I lost weight to need to drop to a lower plan. I imagine before you hit goal, you may well end up dropping down a plan.

Last edited by BarbaraB; 01-19-2009 at 06:26 PM.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 189/185/125

Height: 5 3

Eat Eat Eat...the foods on your plan of course. It doesn't make sense to yo yo dieters but it works. I have had soo much success on this plan year after year. I keep coming back and forth because I keep having kids. I lost all my baby weight and more following my plan. In fact, the days I didn't eat all my portions, and drink my water, and eat the lite salt, I didn't lose. I just started back myself...my baby is 3 months old already...sometimes the scale doesn't show loss but your clothes do! Don't give up...it is really worth it! My center closed Jan 2008 and I made sure to go and get stab and maint papers before it was gone forever so I could do it on my own. It definately works...but YOU have to be the one that sticks with it. Keep your chin up...everyone on the site is really encouraging...keep checkin in!
almsthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:02 AM   #9  
One Day At A Time

Thanks Almsthere - Do you do the LA Lites? I love these things!!! That concerns me. I think it is a candy bar and I never ate candy bars regularly and now I think it could be the beginning of something I don't want to start. Oh well, if it works I will just worry about that later....thanks for your support.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #10  
LAWL Salt Police

I did the lites and found them really useful. They became my go-to instead of hitting the vending machine in the mid afternoon.. Now that I'm off the program (thanks to our COD closing way back in 2007), I've found substitutes.. The best I've found are the South Beach Diet cereal bars. They have just a few more calories than the Lites, more protein and taste really great...

I never ate candy bars regularly either, but I snacked on cookies and chips.. I find that having these bars around keeps me from hitting the vending machine still..
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 186/see ticker/125

Height: 5'0

Marie - you do the math - if you can keep up a 1 1/2 lb to 2 lb weightloss week after week, look at where you will be in 5, 10, 15 weeks. it works. Also - I was not a snacker, but found the lites to be a life-saver! I would look forward to them every single day! Now that I am so close to goal, I've eliminated them, but a month or so ago I couldn't imagine life without them! Good luck
jewljz is offline   Reply With Quote