South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #1  
Just Beachy...

S/C/G: 210/188/164 (mini goal)

Height: 5'6"

Default I've fall off the wagon and cannot get up...where should I go???

I was on Ph 1 for a while (3 weeks...I know...it is only supposed to be 2...it really was easy, though) and it was sooooooo easy!!! I went off the diet for the holidays (didn't want to piss off my family members) and now I cannot get back onto Ph1. I really do not want to start w/ Ph2 b/c I do not want the "freedom" and really liked the strictness of Ph1. Prob is I cannot even start back on Ph 1...the steam is GONE. HELP!!! Where to go for inspiration again??? I just do not feel like cooking again or sprending huge amounts of $$ on fresh/frozen produce. I felt so great while on the diet and want to get back to that state again. UGH!!

Last edited by 262mom2three; 01-14-2009 at 03:38 PM.
262mom2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

Honestly I did phase 1 perfectly for about 4 weeks when I first started last summer then went on vacation with my family and it all went to ****. Ever since I've pretty much never been able to do a perfect 2 weeks of phase 1.

I would say do the best you can. Fill your house with SBD friendly food, devote a day of the week to planning/cooking/preping what your going to eat for the week (so that you already have healthy options on hand). If you eat phase 1 food 90% of the time and don't binge the rest of the time it's a good week. It gets easier as you go on, take it one day(or one hour) at a time until it gets easier.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #3  
Heather-Nic

S/C/G: 293.5/248/220

Height: 5'7"

I, too, totally fell of the wagon over the holidays and last week was really hard for me to focus and stick to the plan. But this week is MUCH BETTER! Here's what I did. First, I planned my menu for the week and made sure that the food that was planned were things that I knew I really liked. Secondly, and probably more importantly, I resolved to stick to it AND planned to be successful. I knew I could not give myself excuses to go off plan, and I'm sticking to it.
A while back I decided that this life change was going to have to be respected and given the time it requires. I had to treat it well if I was going to succeed. You've got to give into the process and then work it!!!
Good luck on your journey!
hmacneil6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hi, 262Mom!

The main reason Phase 1 isn't recommended for more than 2 weeks is that it's simply not healthy. However, what I think is probably more important, after several years of reading and talking with others about dieting or changing eating habits, is that Phase 1 is simply WAY too strict for anyone to stick to for long. When you fall off the wagon from an elongated stretch of Phase 1 (or any super-strict plan), you find it exceptionally hard to even go back to a healthier way of eating, let alone go back to that strictness. So I think what you're going through is a perfect testament to why it's not a good idea to do Phase 1 longer than 2 weeks.

That said, it's not going to help fix where you're at now--just hopefully serve as a warning to those who consider doing it themselves.

For you, one of the things you need to think about is what you said at the end of your post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 262mom2three View Post
I felt so great while on the diet and want to get back to that state again. UGH!!
One thing that might help you get motivated is knowing that you do NOT have to do Phase 1 for 2 weeks again. In fact, you shouldn't. Just do it as long as it takes for the cravings to go away (usually no more than 3-5 days). Then, start with Phase 2.

You said:

Quote:
I really do not want to start w/ Ph2 b/c I do not want the "freedom" and really liked the strictness of Ph1.
There's no reason why Phase 2 has to be a scary amount of "freedom." I know what you mean, though. It's the feeling that if you let yourself eat anything you used to eat (like fruit or starches), you'll go crazy and lose control. I understand that fear--but it's one of the things you have to conquer if you want to lose and maintain that loss. It's one of the things you have to learn to do--trust yourself--in order to make good changes in your eating, health, and life. Start slow and set rules for yourself to make it easier. You might also want to consider reading some of Geneen Roth's books. She talks a lot about this issue of not trusting yourself around food.

There's nothing magical about Phase 1--at least, nothing that isn't also present in Phase 2 as long as you don't go off plan--and sticking to the rules of Phase 2 shouldn't be any harder than sticking to the rules of Phase 1. You may find some foods set you off, but you have to trust that you're committed enough to this plan that you'll do Phase 1 until the cravings are gone and try again. In time, you'll know just what sets you off and what doesn't and you can avoid those minefields.

Check out the What's Your P2 Combo? and the Emergency Handbook for Phase 2 threads for lots of information, advice, and help for starting and successfully doing Phase 2. Okay?

Okay, now it's time for a little tough love. You said:
Quote:
I went off the diet for the holidays (didn't want to piss off my family members)
Wait, your family members will be pissed off if you eat healthy and take care of yourself? But they'll be happy if you eat the things that make you unhealthy, unhappy, and angry at yourself? Huh? Sure, it's hard for them to deal with their own behavior when they realize you're making healthy choices and they feel guilty that they are not. But that's not your problem. It's theirs. If they're being obnoxious about their feelings and trying to make you feel bad, then you have every right to tell them that they're hurting your feelings and they need to cut it out. If they love you, they'll learn to give up their own issues on this and support you. If they simply won't, then you have to decide what's more important to you. I hope you choose you!

As for this:

Quote:
I just do not feel like cooking again or sprending huge amounts of $$ on fresh/frozen produce.
A friend of mine here had a great quote in her sig: "If you want it, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse." We've all been there. But if you really want this, you'll either find a way to avoid cooking as much (like cooking in bulk, doing the dump chicken recipes, freezing stuff, getting your partner/kids to cook, etc.) and spending as much on produce (going to Save-a-Lot, farmer's markets, buying frozen produce that's cheap, etc.) and do it, or you'll find an excuse and avoid it. But it all comes back to what you wrote at the end of your post. Obviously SBD made you feel good and you want to feel that good again. How much do you want it?

I'm a firm believer in the fact that you won't succeed until you're ready. Pushing yourself to try to do something you're not really ready to do can be devastating--if you fail, it only adds to the frustration, depression, and guilt. But if you set some goals and make baby steps until you get there, you're much more likely to make it.

Only you know how much you want this and only you can decide whether it's worth the effort. But we're here for you to support you either way. Here's to a 2009 that can be full of better health and feeling good!

Last edited by beachgal; 01-15-2009 at 10:19 AM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:18 AM   #5  
Keeper of the Cheerios

S/C/G: 218/209/170

Height: 5'4

I don't see any reason why you can't start Ph2 and go backwards. I had to jump in at phase 2 but before I started South Beach yesterday, I started cutting out the junk I was eating. I'm down 8lbs in 3 days just from keeping track of what I am eating and not eating junk!

You CAN treat Ph 2 as a restrictive phase by making a meal plan and sticking to it. Only eat the fruit and bread items you've listed in your plan and only for the meal they are meant for.

Stop thinking "I can't" and say "I WILL".
fl_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good advice from all, Chickies.
Hop back onto the wagon and you'll be fine.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Laurie~
Your post almost brought me to tears! It was exactly what I needed to hear. I have been binge eating since after Christmas and struggling to get back on the horse. I weighed in this morning at 200 pounds.... all the work I have put in has been washed away. I also was scared of Phase 2 and basically have been on 1.5 for a long time... closer to 1 than the 2. I really appreciate the advice and find it funny that I have been on 3fc all morning reading success stories. Trying to decide how to begin SBD again and here is this post that describes that exact situation I am in. I think that this has really taught me that I really need to check in here more! I feel the same way the poster felt. That when on SBD I felt better. Honestly if I had to describe sugar I would describe it as a drug. I can tell when I have had sugar and the wonderful feeling the sugar spike feels. I can also tell you that I have battled depression my whole life too. The feeling does not last long enough to mask this. Honestly part of this whole issue is that I am scared to give up sugar again. Although I know that it makes me feel bad... I also know that when I feel guilty, sad or depressed it makes me feel good for a second too.. How sad. I just got to get back to it. I am going to plan out my menu's for the week. That is my goal for today.

Thanks for listening,
Menzy

Last edited by Menzy; 01-15-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Menzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #8  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Thank you for showing me someone else can be under the wagon too.

I got sick and was put back on all the meads again. YES, those same meads that put all the weight on me to begin with. Gained back I guess 40 of the pounds I had taken off. At first, even with being sick, I was doing well and sticking to my eating plan. Then it got to the point is I ate what everyone made for me and they sure didn't care if it was healthy. They cared if it was quick or something they thought I would like because I was so darn sick. So along with the meads packing it on there was the food my children thought I should eat. Junk is what it was. I didn't fall off the wagon, the darn wagon ran over me lol.

It was hard to get back on track. I finally looked at myself in the mirror, with no clothes on, oh was that nasty lol. Do I want to look this way next Christmas I had to ask myself Lets be serious, we are not talking I am going to look as good this summer as I did last summer. Realistic goals are important lol.

I pulled myself up by my boot straps and got back on plan. We think about it or we do it. Thinking about it is easy. Doing it takes a little more work.

You will get to where you want to be. It can be difficult, make yourself do it. You are worth it.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

Actually in the book it says that Phase 1 is a healthy and balanced way of eating and that several people have been successful eating that way for a longer period of time. It only says that this restrictive way of eating can leave you feeling deprived and is not realistic long term for most people.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 212/172.4/150

Height: 5'9"

I agree that you should just do phase 1 for at the most a week, just to beat the cravings and feel better about moving to p2. i also bombed over the holidays, but less than a week of p1 helped me feel more in control. i still do mostly p1, although i make an effort to include at least 1 grain and/or fruit serving daily. its the least i could do seriously though, when you get overwhelmed and don't feel like cooking or shopping or even moving, don't beat yourself up over one meal, just get back on track the next meal. I know some nights i'm so tired, its all i can do to throw a couple of grilled cheeses in the skillet and heat up a can of soup. and then the next day maybe i'll skip the grain to make up for the double starch the night before. you just have to find your happy medium, your balance. if you don't work will yourself, you'll be fighting a losing battle. also, i really find that reporting here regularly helps me stay in the right mindset, and also get inspiration for new meals and from other members.
baristamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:54 AM   #11  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Awww, YAY everyone!

PS -- Asian markets = super cheap produce! I just got laid off from my job and I usually buy all my veggies frozen (save mushrooms and whatever else for salad) but for fruits (ph2) and fresh veggies, you simply can not beat the prices at some of the more ethnic markets!

For example - at my grocery store, apples were $1.29 a pound. Asian market? $.65/lb!!!! Just a quick tip.
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #12  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal View Post
Hi, 262Mom!

The main reason Phase 1 isn't recommended for more than 2 weeks is that it's simply not healthy. However, what I think is probably more important, after several years of reading and talking with others about dieting or changing eating habits, is that Phase 1 is simply WAY too strict for anyone to stick to for long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
Actually in the book it says that Phase 1 is a healthy and balanced way of eating and that several people have been successful eating that way for a longer period of time. It only says that this restrictive way of eating can leave you feeling deprived and is not realistic long term for most people.
I just wanted to reinforce what Scarlett said. Phase 1 is healthy.
What could possibly be considered unhealthy about it anyway?
Large quantities of veggies, lean meats, beans, low-fat dairy, healthy oils. You get plenty of nutrients and fiber. Veggies are carbs, so you're not cutting out a macro-nutrient group. You're just shifting from less healthy carbs to more healthy ones, from less healthy fats to more healthy ones, from less healthy proteins/meats to more healthy ones.
Carbs: from white flours, sugar, white rice, white potatoes TO green beans, zuchinni, cauliflower, broccoli, black beans, kidney beans, romaine, tomatoes, kale, cucumbers, radishes, snow peas, sprouts, etc.
Fats: from trans-fatty acids TO olive oil for example.
Protein: From Chicken skin, fried meats, pot roast (red meat marbled richly with fat) TO skinless chicken breast, roasted/stir fried/baked lean meats, London Broil, etc.
From Frankenfoods (foods with many chemical and unpronounceable ingredients) TO foods made with "food".

So I respectfully disagree that Phase 1 is unhealthy. It is healthy!
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:24 PM   #13  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I think Phase I can be healthy, but I believe leaving out fruits is missing a whole chunk of armor in the defense against many diseases. Many studies suggest the more fruit you eat, the less cancer occurs. I wouldn't personally want to stay on it any longer than neccesary.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:08 PM   #14  
Come on Spring!

Of course Phase I is healthy but it is missing some nutrients that we can only get from whole grains and fruits. That is why it is recommended for only a short time.
The original poster has not returned to post although she may have read this thread. I hope our comments were of help.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:11 PM   #15  
Come on Spring!

Yes, we miss a lot of essential nutrients when we don't eat whole grains and fruits.

By the way, the Original Poster has not been back to post or respond although she has been online. I hope our suggestions were of help.

I'll close this thread for now and re-open it if she PMs me.