Old 01-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #1  
eliz

S/C/G: 280/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

Default can't find the motivation anymore!

hi all. i haven't posted in the 30 somethings forum before.

i have been working hard at weight loss since nov. 4th and in that time period, lost 27 lbs. under a doctor's supervision. (before that - last jan through may, i lost 20 lbs and have kept that off, but no significant effort from june-oct b/c i lost motivation).

and i'm deathly afraid of losing motivation that will stop my efforts for another 5 months.

especially because, 3 days ago, i just lost all motivation.

i was doing so well with my diet and exercise. in the past month i lost 9.5 lbs.... that was including my christmas long weekend of cheating, and i was thrilled at that accomplishment. even though i have such a lot of weight to lose that that is just a drop in the bucket, i know that every pound counts.

but the past few days i have eaten way more calories than i should be and NOT exercised. i don't want to sabatoge my efforts, and i don't want to put that weight back on. i have worked too hard to get it off. this loss of motivation scares me.

i can't get why my motivation has waned and i can't figure out how to get past it. it doesn't help that i am having sinus issues and have been really busy so it's easy to let exercise slide when i don't feel well AND don't have much free time.

i really want to meet my weight loss goals, i feel like in a lot of ways my life is on hold until i do that. not that i think that's a good way to live, i just have a hard time shaking that mentality.

anyway don't want to go on about this too long i just wondered if you have any suggestions on how to get my motivation back? any inspiring articles to read or stories...? i looked around this site a bit hoping that i'd read something that kicked it in gear, but i must not be looking in the right places.

i do plan to watch the biggest loser on tuesday (that always helps a bit) but i need my motivation back NOW... i really don't want to let this slump slow down my efforts and i'm afraid to even get on the scale and see if i've gained weight these past few days.

thanks,
eliz
my time is now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #2  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Hi Eliz! Congrats on your progress soo far!! I read success/progress reports to get motivation. In fact, your post gives me motivation, because we're the same height, started around the same weight, and you're doing much better than me!! Keep up the good work!
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

There is a difference between motivation and commitment. All of us, or at least most of us, have times during the weight loss journey when our motivation wanes...it is at those times that commitment is twice as important. You just DO IT. No excuses...you get up and do your exercise and you just eat on plan...go throught the motions, even if you aren't "feeling it" and eventually, as the scale continues to creep down, the motivation comes back. Right now, you are in a "lull", but eventually that will change. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #4  
restarted

S/C/G: 233/229/175

Height: 5'7"

Treat exercise just like any other appointment. Make time for it, and then show up. The great thing about exercise is that it doesn't matter if you are cussing a blue streak saying how much you hate it the whole time you are doing it. The gym equipment won't care! There are always going to be days where we all just don't WANT TO! We have to just do it anyway. Try bargaining with yourself. When I really don't want to I will set the cardio machine for 20 minutes, and tell myself just 20 minutes. Usually I am feeling good enough by 15 min in that I bump up the time, but even if I only do 20, that is still 20 minutes, and I can still say that I exercised. Plus, I think cardio is addictive.
You could also try something new - new classes at the gym or a new workout DVD. A new salad dressing or fruit or recipe. Commit to yourself that after 5 days of being on plan that you will get a pedicure. Anyone can do something for 5 days (or 3 days, you get my drift), and that might be enough to get you over the hump.
And you can always come here to complain or get inspiration!! You can do it!!

Last edited by Coffee Luver; 01-18-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Coffee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 297/283.6/180

Height: 5' 10"

I agree with what Schumeany said. We all fall into a rut at times. You've been working at it for a couple months and you've lost weight. I don't know what your plan is, but maybe it's time to change it up. If what you do for exercise is walking, try going swimming. Find something new to keep you motivated, and to keep your body guessing. You said you lost 9.5 pounds in December. That's AWESOME!!! Even with all the fattening foods you ate you still lost 2.5 pounds a week, more or less. Think about how much you'll be able to do in the next 30 days. I know you'll drop 15 this month. Just keep moving forward, and don't dwell on setbacks. Now get away from the computer and go do some lunges.

Frank
Masstacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

Height: 5'6"

hi eliz,

set backs are normal. 27lbs in 2.5 months is INCREDIBLE so yeah, you don't want to loose that.

well one important fact is not to beat yourself up or to dwell on the set back.
is there a reason you don't want to do you're workout? boredom? to cold outside? could you try and exercise DVD instead? walking with a buddy, or a dog? taking a different route.?

for the food, maybe try a new meal? something that is healthful, filling and appetizing to you?

I also recommend something soothing, if you are like me and stress about setback and everything for that matter. Yoga, deep breathing, meditation.
Try something enjoyable, like a good book and just relax with a cup of herbal tea. Don't let yourself get down about it.
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

Height: 5'6"

p.s.
i like this magazine:

http://www.experiencelifemag.com/index.html
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:36 PM   #8  
eliz

Default thanks

thanks everyone.
everyone made good points. i plan to incorporate those ideas and get back on track tomorrow... today was a busy day and i still am having the sinus issues but i hope i will be sleeping in tomorrow and waking up feeling better both where my sinuses are concerned and where my motivation is concerned. and if i'm not motivated, well i'm just going to do the exercise and make the effort like you guys suggested and try to change it up and just stick with it.

b/c i can't stop now! i gotta get through this.... must learn to keep commitments to myself.

thanks everyone for taking time to reply, it's really appreciated....
wish me luck....

eliz
Old 01-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 212/208/155

Height: 5'3''

You don't need luck here. Just look at how far you've come. You don't want to give up any of that hard work. I feel you on the sinus issues. They plague me and are never fun.

It's hard. That's why we're here. But you have come so far. Your successes are amazing.

Get back on track one smart choice at a time.

*merie
rockopera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #10  

That fact that you didn't wait months or a year to get back on your program shows how much stronger you are. Keep up the good work and know that you are worth it and if you are not happy in the body you are in then you have the strength to change it.
My biggest motivation is watching the Biggest Loser TV show. Also, I want to have kids and I cannot at my current weight.
Good Luck and remember Never to give up!
kh012009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #11  
Diana

Height: 5' 4"

eliz, if other's stories help to inspire and motivate you, go to weightwatchers.com and read the success stories there. They always help to motivate and inspire me. And whenever you feel like cheating, come here and read the posts. That always makes me not want to do something stupid.
GainingWeightInLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:47 PM   #12  
eliz

good idea going to weight watchers success stories, those are helpful to read. except they are usually about someone losing just a little bit of weight and i am more inspired by people who had 100 lbs or more to lose since i'm in that category. which is why i will definitely be watching biggest loser tonight.

b/c i've been feeling so sick, i am still not back on track 100% but trying! today i am still feeling sick so i took the day off. i plan to do some exercise a little later today... despite feeling bad, i need to do SOMETHING to burn off some calories before i do too much damage.

thanks again everyone... this is a struggle but i know if i stick with it, it will be worth it.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:57 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/160

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumeany View Post
There is a difference between motivation and commitment. All of us, or at least most of us, have times during the weight loss journey when our motivation wanes...it is at those times that commitment is twice as important. You just DO IT. No excuses...you get up and do your exercise and you just eat on plan...go throught the motions, even if you aren't "feeling it" and eventually, as the scale continues to creep down, the motivation comes back. Right now, you are in a "lull", but eventually that will change. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
Ditto.

I had a tough few weeks after christmas. I really had no motivation and was exhausted from the holidays (I work in retail). You just have to push thru as best you can. Don't lose focus of the goal of losing weight and being healthier. Because my motivaton was so low, I concentrated on maintaining and not gaining any of the weight I lost back. I knew my motivation would return eventually. So last week I started feeling better, more motivated and more in control and I lost 2.5 pounds!!

I kept telling myself how much I love to be thinner and how all of my clothes look nicer and fit better when I'm thinner.

It's OK to feel the way you feel, as long as you just keep going.

Congrats on your success so far!!
poppyseeds is offline   Reply With Quote