General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/198.6/154

Height: 5'6"

Question Wii Fit vs. scale

I have the Wii Fit and a $10 scale from Walgreens.

Which one do you think is more accurate in weighing?

The Wii Fit subtracts clothes but even taking off the same amount from my scale it's a little off almost a pound sometimes. Meaning I weigh more on my scale then on Wii Fit.

Thanks for you help
blonde08
blonde08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 294/see ticker/190

Height: 6ft 0.5 inches

i think generally 1lb is negligible.

i weigh about .5lb more on my official weigh in scales at my class than on my own. doesn't make either of them wrong. just calibrated slightly differently.

it it was like 4- 5 lbs then i'd be sure one of them was wrong.
anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #3  
Pricess of pooch

S/C/G: 164/147/120

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde08 View Post
I have the Wii Fit and a $10 scale from Walgreens.

Which one do you think is more accurate in weighing?

The Wii Fit subtracts clothes but even taking off the same amount from my scale it's a little off almost a pound sometimes. Meaning I weigh more on my scale then on Wii Fit.

Thanks for you help
blonde08
The answer is the Wii Fit is more accurate. The wii fit has multiple, very sensitive scales on it so it can not only track your weight, but your center of balance as well.

When the Wii Fit takes your weight it asks you if you are wearing light clothes, heavy clothes or other. That way it will subtract the average weight of yoru clothes from your body weight. If you choose other +-0, then you'll have the weight your bathroom scale should have.
scintillaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/209/160

Height: 5'6''

OFF TOPIC:

but since you have a wii fit. does it work for you? i have a nintendo wii but not sure if the wii fit really works.
Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:23 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

I think the Wii Fit would probably be a tad more accurate... that being said, a one pound difference isn't a huge deal.

Pick ONE and stick with it.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:44 PM   #6  

Barbie: The wii fit works and is fun. But of course you need exercise outside of the wii fit. I've done the yoga and strength bits and those are fun. and i really like the balance games and aerobics. the only ones that really get me worked up are running, boxing, and stepper. but i usually do whatever i feel like playing that day for about an hour. Sometimes balancing is hard for me with certain things. but the board is sensitive and i find it fun.

I think of the Wii Fit as an extra workout to add to my regular exercising. so if you have the time to do that and other exercises then I would recommend it.

and thanks everyone I'll most likely stick with the Wii Fit since it tracks my weight and the differences aren't big.

blonde08
Old 01-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 298.6/298.6/175

Height: 5'9''

When you are getting weighed on the wii fit is it on a thick carpet? Wouldn't this account for a difference? I have noticed when I weigh myself in the bathroom on a hard surface it is different then when I take my scale into the bedroom on the carpet, and by several pounds, once even a 5lb difference. because of that, I am now paranoid and make sure to keep the scale in the exact same spot in my bathroom.
nlm1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

My Wiifit weighs me erratically. Sometimes as much as 15 pounds less than our doctor's balance scale - for what it's worth.
gggirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #9  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

My wii fit is always within .5 lb of my scale. It is on carpet, but I do use the "feet" provided for use on carpet.

Use whichever scale you want, just stick with one for your "official" weight.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #10  

I use it on short (not thick) carpet and I don't have the feet on them. I might put them on. but I plan to stick with the wii fit. thanks everyone for your help.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:17 PM   #11  

To Barbie - I can't PM yet because of my post count. so here's my answer:
It comes with a Wii Fit disk and that has all the games I mentioned. There are other games you buy separately but I haven't bought or tried any yet. and just so you know the jogging is done off of the balance board you hold the wiimote in your hand or put it in your pocket and run in place. but all the other parts do use the balance board.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 218/209/160

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde08 View Post
To Barbie - I can't PM yet because of my post count. so here's my answer:
It comes with a Wii Fit disk and that has all the games I mentioned. There are other games you buy separately but I haven't bought or tried any yet. and just so you know the jogging is done off of the balance board you hold the wiimote in your hand or put it in your pocket and run in place. but all the other parts do use the balance board.
Thanks blonde! I love my wii so I'll be buying the wii fit *cough next paycheck cough* LOL!
Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote