General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Need some advice/encouragement

My father was just recently laid off. I feel horrible. We might have to sell the house. He was left this house by his grandfather. I love this house. I'm scared. I'm already out of the house, in my mid twenties...but I'm scared for him. He doesn't know what to do. I saw him cry for the first time today. I didn't know what to say or what to do. I just start crying randomly. I can't help it. which makes him feel bad too. Which I know he already does. I just so badly want to be his support system adn I'm failing miserably. He's always the strong one. And now when he really needs me I'm not being a very good support system for him too.

He's been with the same company for over 30 years. Never written a resume in his entire life. He asked me to help. i have no idea what to do. How do you fit 30+ years of experience onto one sheet of paper?

I'm just so lost right now. I don't understand how this happened. We always lived within our means, worked hard...and now this. He has little savings because he paid for my sister and I to go to college. Now neither one of us can help him out. My sister is barely keeping her head above water in Fl and i'm in grad school.

I dont' know the point of this. I don't knwo what type of advice I'm looking for. I guess I just needed to get it out. Had to tell someone bc he hasn't told a lot of people yet. I can't betray his confidence. It's our secret....and I refuse to betray it. I just have to buckle down and study hard...and pray to get a good job this summer. I just don't know what to say or do. I wish i could just magically make it all better...
rachiebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #2  
I CAN DO THIS!!

S/C/G: 360.6/335.4/140

Height: 5'7½"

I am so sorry to hear this happened to your dad.

Is it possible for him to take retirement or early retirement and get his social security? If not, he should visit the local unemployment agency.

If he isn't getting a severance package, he should be able to get unemployment benefits and may be able to get unemployment even if he does get severance. He should check into this immediately. The pay will not be as much as his salary but it should help.

Additionally, most of these agencies offer resume help for no charge and will teach him how to search for a new job.

Best wishes! I hope everything works out.

Last edited by gina1221; 01-17-2009 at 12:07 PM.
gina1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #3  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Ditto what gina1221 said. Your dad should look into unemployment right away and any other benefits he may have coming. Also, some states offer money for going back to school to earn a new degree or learn a new trade along with money for expenses while in school. They should have info on that at the unemployment or job services office.

You and your family will be in my prayers
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 192/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Thank you for your well wishes and advice. He's already started the paperwork for unemployment but that takes around 3 weeks to kick in. As the entire company went under, he will not be recieving any severance what-so-ever, though I'm not sure he would have gotten any in other circumstances. He's not old enough to apply for early retirement-you have to be 62 minimum for that.

I just don't understand how things got so bad so fast in this country. Is it because people were jsut living above their means? Because people were getting to greedy? What caused the sudden swing? I don't understand it...and if it is any of the above it really stinks that people who played it smart are going down for the stupidity of others.
rachiebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #5  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I have added you and your family to my prayer list!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 241/ticker/150

Height: 5' 6"

Definately call the unemployment office. Most states pay for re-training so he can go back to school while he collects. He can learn something totally new or get certifications to help him with his next job.

He should also call the gas company. I lost my job in October (same deal... company went bankrupt... no severance or anything). They sent someone out here to weatherize my apartment and I'm geting help from the state to pay the heating bills. My neighbor across the hall called them last year, they even gave her a new energy star refridgerator

I hope it all works out for you guys.
Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #7  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachiebach View Post
Thank you for your well wishes and advice. He's already started the paperwork for unemployment but that takes around 3 weeks to kick in. As the entire company went under, he will not be recieving any severance what-so-ever, though I'm not sure he would have gotten any in other circumstances. He's not old enough to apply for early retirement-you have to be 62 minimum for that.

I just don't understand how things got so bad so fast in this country. Is it because people were jsut living above their means? Because people were getting to greedy? What caused the sudden swing? I don't understand it...and if it is any of the above it really stinks that people who played it smart are going down for the stupidity of others.
I'm so so sorry! While there's LOTS of reasons, it certainly wasn't sudden. I know people who are being laid off left and right and people who have been job hunting for over a year (I'm going on 5 months). I try to stay away from the news as much as possible because it's so disheartening. OTOH, I know people who have been laid off who totally re-evaluate their lives and decide to pursue a different career path or go back to school (at all ages) and they are much happier And while it is grim out there, just because your dad lost his job does not mean the next step is ending up on the street. You have to remain positive and pro-active!

Since the company went under, he should have no trouble getting unemployment benefits. Also, maybe it would be a good idea to have him meet with a staffing agency so he can get some solid advice on his resume?
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote