Old 01-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 273/232/140

Height: 5'4

Talking Let it begin!!!

And so it begins... I am 27 and a mother of 2. I went to the doctor for a cold, and they made me stand on that dang scale...OH.. how I hate that thing now. I have never really worried about my weight, I was what I was and that was it. Now, looking at the nurse writing 272, I started crying. I have decided to lose weight, and if I am going to do it, I am doing it all the way! My goal is to reach 140 lbs. The faster (and healthier) the better. I am a very picky eater, and don't enjoy very many vegis. I am sitting here, reading, trying to firgure out the best way. I started a week ago yesterday, and am now at 265. I want to be a thinner, healthier version of the fun person I have always been. If anyone has any advice, the best way, the best recipes, the best exercises, I would be so excited to hear them.
Candi23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #2  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Welcome!

As for being a picky eater I was never into vegetables at all but what I found was it takes time for my brain to get used to new foods. I read somewhere it's part of our natural defense mechanism to avoid poisonous foods - that until you've had something a few times it's pretty normal to not like it/love it.

So when I was in college I began making myself eat stuff I didn't like - I always try to give everything multiple tries - served multiple ways.

I have found that roasting veggies with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper makes for some really tasty side dishes. Now I love roasted asparagus. If you grew up with canned/frozen/boiled veggies it's no wonder you don't like them. blech.

Somewhere on my blog I have a recipe for roasted asparagus that I just love. Give it a try!
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

Welcome Candi! My first piece of advice is: don't think fast! I always wanted fast and it just drove me to give up. Think Determined and patient! Slow and steady is the way to get the weight off. Two pounds a week is healthy and something that you can maintain. I use thedailyplate.com to track calories. It makes it so much easier. I'm a calorie counter, the only way that has ever worked for me. That isn't to say that other methods don't work, that's just what works for me. I do try to get in plenty of protein, lots of vegetables and whole grains. Your tastes will change over time. Sugar is my weakness and if I keep it out of my diet I do much better. Whole foods taste so much better when you get off sugar. I'm glad you are here, 3fc is a huge help to getting on track and staying there.
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #4  

Thanks, I will have to try it. I did grow up eating canned foods. To be honest for a while all I liked was corn... that counts as a veggie right??? haha
Old 01-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #5  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Welcome, Candi! Good luck to you as you get on your new journey! You can do it.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #6  

I'm like you, I've never been one for veggies... or fruit for that matter..

Good luck to you! I look forward to seeing you around the forums!
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:19 PM   #7  

Hey Welcome.. Just take this one step at a time. You can do it !
wchs2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 205/136/120

Height: 5'3

Welcome, looks like your off to a wonderfull start
Samantha039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #9  
Finally Taking Care of ME

S/C/G: 283/ticker/183

Height: 5'9"

Welcome Candi -

Just takes determination and the knowledge that it's a marathon, not a sprint.

I feel more focused this time - plain and simple I am not happy with the way I feel, so I am changing it.

Log on here alot, I have so much more success when I read here actively.

There are great people on this wite with a vast quantity of knowledge.

I am so grateful that the many ladies (and gents) that are in maintenance still devite their time to reading over this site and providing feedback. They have been in our shoes, they know what its like and more importantly they did it!

Welcome again -

Angie
LesliesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #10  

Thank you guys so much!!! This place is just amazing. I am so excited!!! I grew up with a younger sister that was always soooo overweight. I got in many a fight in school over that! She had a gastric bypass about 5 years ago while weighing over 400 lbs. She has lost well over 200 lbs now...BUT it has cost her her health. We almost lost her in June and July. We were told 3 times she would most likely not survive. She has permanant liver damage and will most likely need a transplant. I want to do it without surgery because her situation is scary. There is an obesity problem in my family, and I want it to stop with me. I do not want my children to have to go through what my sister and I went through. Well, anyway, here's to slow and steady!!!
Old 01-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 249.9/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

Welcome to the board, Hon. You will find all the ladies here to be so wonderful and very supportive. I wish you luck on your journey!
autumns19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:27 PM   #12  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
The faster (and healthier) the better.
Slower is actually the best way to do it. Good luck on your journey!
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 266.3/232/150

Height: 5'7"

I hear ya about not liking veggies. I'm in the same boat. Right now, I'm just taking this one step at a time. This month, I'm focusing cutting back portions and getting more water (no coke!). Next month, I'll focus getting more fruits and veggies into my diet.

Good luck on your weight loss journey! The ladies here are really supportive and helpful!
CeCeLee is offline   Reply With Quote