Old 01-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266.3/232/150

Height: 5'7"

Smile Saying Hi and a Question

I've been posting on here for a day or two and just wanted to formally introduce myself. My name is CeCe and I'm joining everyone here trying to lose the pounds.

I did have a question for ya'll though. I don't have a gym membership and do not plan on getting one due to my unfounded fear of the gym. I wanted to see if anyone here is having success without the gym (not that not having success will stop me--I'll keep trying!). Right now, I walk 30 minutes a day and then play my WiiFit for another 30-45 minutes. Also, I'm getting that new My Fitness Coach for Wii and plan to work with that too.

Right now that seems to be working so hopefully it keeps working .

Thanks!
CeCeLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:13 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hi and welcome.

when I first started, I did have a gym membership. I technically have a gym membership, I just don't go (long story, I moved and the gym sucks and my life changed but gym membership is extremely cheap so I hold onto it).

I like working out at home a lot. You don't need to join a gym, there is a lot of stuff you can do without a gym. My favorite exercise right now is kettlebells.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I don't belong to a gym and have lost 51 pounds. I am trying to find a wii fit (everyone seems out of stock and I won't pay more than list). I do have a treadmill but often go to the local rec center or a mall to walk with a friend instead.

You don't need a gym, although it can be helpful to have a trainer make some suggestions. Also cardio burns calories, but strength training builds muscle. Long term muscle burns more calories than fat so with more muscle your metabolism increases.

You may find yourself more willing to go to a gym when you lose a little more.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:17 PM   #4  
Living and Learning

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

Welcome to the group! I have lost my 55lbs so far by walking the dog and using the Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds DVD's. This week I have started using the elliptical machine at my friends house. I have used it twice for 15 minutes and I am certain that her machine is evil and is mocking me! lol
But it is a very good workout and I WILL gradually get up to 30 minutes. I don't like going to the gym either...UGH!
gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I didn't join a gym until after I lost ALL my weight.

I started out walking for 15 minutes at a pop and kept on increasing it and increasing it. Shortly thereafter I added in strength training using simple resistance bands.

Another great at home beginner exercise -

Walk Away the Pounds by Leslie Sansone. GREAT dvds. GREAT. I used the 1,2 3 mile express one. I highly recommend it.

So, yes I think it's possible to be successful though not part of a gym.

Glad you're here. This is a great place for support, advice and encouragement.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:21 PM   #6  

Height: 5ft6'

I don't do the gym. There are soooo many ways to work out at home with almost no equipment. When I lost weight before (70lbs before last baby) I walked and did crunches. Thats it. Plus you can look online for other stuff to do using household stuff like soup cans as weights.

There are alot of people who shed the pounds at a gym and thats cool. But you deffinately don't have to. Finding something that works for you and that you enjoy is what you want to do.

Good luck and welcome to the best group ever!
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 266.3/232/150

Thanks to everyone who replied! I joined the gym a year ago and I must live in an area of New Orleans where everyone is a body builder. It was ridiculous!

I'm glad to hear everyone is having success at home. That makes me feel so much better. Congratulations on all your successes so far!!
CeCeLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #8  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I don't think a membership is needed... it is all about what you are most comfortable with. I had a gym membership for a year and a half that I rarely used and wasn't worth the money. I prefer to have less people watching me flop around and pant while working out... but to each his own.

I'm a fan of workout videos.... Billy Blanks Taebo and Windsor Pilates are some of my faves.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #9  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

I used a gym for a short time and did not like it. I have lost all my weight without a gym. The only exercise I do is 3 miles of walking each day and ride my bike when it's nice out. I like being outside and can't stand the gym machines.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:07 PM   #10  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Heck, I didn't work out at all for the first 6 months / 40 pounds of my journey. I just didn't feel like doing it, so I didn't; and I didn't decide to start until my weightloss looked like it was slowing a little.

And I still don't go to a gym. Don't plan to ever join one, either. Instead, I do some pretty strenuous hill-walking, and I do bodyweight exercises at home. Soon I'll be getting a set of resistance bands for my husband and I to use at home, too.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:37 PM   #11  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I'm not too far from you and am from New Orleans

Anyways...welcome!! I don't do gyms....I've slowly collected stuff to have my own at home.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

No gym here. A couple of months into my weight loss, I started riding a recumbent bike at home. I try and do that 30 minutes a day, 6 days a week. I also was strength training 3x a week but I've slacked off on that. Time to get back to it.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:38 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

I don't go to a gym. I do yoga at home, and I run. I'm about to start with resistance bands. Very, very doable.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

I dont do the gym either. Can't afford it and my sleep schedule doesnt allow it. I work night shift and sleep during school. I cant shave any time off my sleep, I only get 7 1/2 hours as it is, and taking my son with me isnt doable either. I also have to stay inside when I work out in the cold due to my asthma.

We do everything at home. I have lots of dvds - tae bo, yoga, pilates, and some of the biggest loser workouts like 30 day shred. I have some weights and a mat and thats it. Its good if you have kids, ya'll can do it together.
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #15  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I also use Walk Away the Pounds by Leslie Sansone. I may join a gym at some point but am happy with the DVD and increasing the number of steps that I walk.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote