Old 01-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Revelation - I like to eat

Ok I know it seems so obvious but I really like to eat and I realized that this morning...

This morning I was packing my lunch and snacks for the day when I realized that I was packing too much food. It seemed so odd that I didn't really realize this before.

The backstory..

I've struggled on and off my whole life with my weight. I have food 'issues' but I've been able to control them enough to lose the weight I've lost. I don't know when it started but probably a little over a year ago, I was struggling with food and the right food. So I'd pack my lunch with plenty of food/snacks and 'emergency' food in case I got hungry and wanted something on plan. I've known for a while that my issue is eating too many 'on plan' foods. Somehow my emergency food just became my regular food. I'd sit at work and basically eat until all the food was gone. I'd get bored and see what I could pull out of my lunch bag.

So in an effort to make sure I have plenty of the right foods, I've been stuffing my lunch bag and somehow that became normal. I think in the beginning that it worked well but at some point I forgot that the 'emergency' food was only supposed to be if I got extra hungry.

This morning as I was packing my lunch, I realized I had 2 lunch entrees so I put 1 of them back. Then I added some celery sticks.

What I'm going to work on from now on is making sure my lunch and snacks make sense.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:42 AM   #2  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Interesting....what a concept to eat too many on plan foods! I reckon too much food is too much food!

Do you have a written daily menu that you use?
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #3  
Is too long. I sum up.

S/C/G: 240/229.5/140?

I hear ya, nelie. It's most the "good" foods that get me into trouble.

I find that planning my day's menu really helps with that. Some days I don't follow my menu for various reasons, but the plan helps me visualize what these foods are in the right amounts.

But here I am giving advice to you when you are way more advanced than I am!
Eiluj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Whatever works, that's for sure! I somehow never stop being a little surprised at all the little adjustments I still make.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I don't have set menu but I have an idea of what I need to eat in my head. It all did start with good intentions as I was eating 'mini-meals' for a while but somehow my mini-meals turned into... regular meals.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #6  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Glad you made adjustments to your plan. I have a buddy that was gaining weight by eating healthy. He was eating all good food but nut's and fruit can put weight on you too. That is why I count calories. It's the only thing that works for me. No calories = No food.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:14 PM   #7  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I know what you mean. When I packed my lunch today, it was breakfast, lunch and 2 snacks. It didn't look like much and I thought...what if I get hungry? But I have a stash clif bar in my desk that I think Nelie actually gave me! I need to get a couple more emergency bars at my desk for those extra hungry days and just make sure I pack what I plan to eat.

Good job on pulling back!!!

Last edited by Sandi; 01-15-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #8  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I hear you! I am a little anxious that I will get to work and be starving and will have nothing but bad choices around, so I overcompensate by bringing too much "just in case" food. In fact, my lunch box today looks like that. All good for you food, but if I eat all of it, I'm probably eating too much (and not tracking it very well lately either).

(Must start using fitday Must start using fitday Must start using fitday)
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #9  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I know what you mean... I had to start bringing less 'emergency' snacks as well because I was eating them out of boredom and not hunger. Too much food is too much food... I need to start my fitday again. I had a whole month of calorie counting under my belt before I went on vacation... and since then I have had a whole month of weight fluctuations, no exercise, and poor eating.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #10  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

My weight loss has slowed down tremendously this week. I think part of the problem is that I haven't been exercising and the other is that I've not been tracking my calories. I've been on-plan with food, but I find it so very easy to eat too much of the good stuff.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

I pack a lot of food too. I like variety and choices. If I pack just one thing, then when lunch time comes around I won't want it. So I give myself choices. Usually I end up bringing food home, like I should, but not always. I will have to be careful!
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 252/250/150

Oh how I hear you!!!
My "too many good foods" moment happens in the car. The moment I get in the car, I want to eat. It doesn't matter what- apples, oranges, carrot sticks...ack.
Macomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:55 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Nelie, I've been doing the same exact thing recently. I now take 5 different food items to work with me. And that's on top of the 2 drinks I take with me. And I work part time. It's like I'm terrified that I'm going to be struck hungry and have no way to deal with it. So I bring it "just in case". The extra thing I've been taking is an apple. I figure if I don't eat it, it's easy to bring back home. Thing is, I've been eating it. Each and every day. Now, I know it's only an apple, but that's an ADDITIONAL 100 calories or so. Times that by 5 work days and boom - right there 500 extra calories in a week. 2000 calories in a month, which translates to more then 1/2 a lb each month, times 12 months of the year. 6 lbs, without blinking an eye.

It's been slow at work, and I've been bored. So what do I do? Turn to food. Yup, I've been bored - NOT hungry. Okay, that apple is staying home tomorrow.

But what if I'm REALLY hungry this time?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Its interesting, I have thought about this before. It is as though I'm afraid that if I don't have enough food I will starve to death, so I overcompensate (just in case) and then of course end up eating the "emergency" food.

I'm working on ways to calm my anxiety about not having enough food available. Too much is too much even when it is healthy.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #15  
Made of Starstuff

It's scary how quickly we can trick ourselves into eating more. Or rather, that we forget what our plans were, and just eat the food anyways.

Been there, done that. Used to do it when I sat at my desk all day long. I didn't always eat the emergency food, but there were times when I knew I wasn't hungry and... down the hatch it went anyways!

I'm happy to see that you've "re-recognized" it.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote