South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-14-2009, 08:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 201/See Ticker/152

Height: 5'8"

Default Can I have coleslaw?

I have a bag of coleslaw mix (just the veggie portion). I also have Coleslaw dressing to mix in. The nutrition info is as follows:

1 TBSP of dressing
60 Calories
5g Fat
4g Carbs
0g Protein

Is this something I can have on phase1? Phase 2?
Steen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:48 PM   #2  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

how much sugar is in it...my ex always used ranch dressing when he made it and it was really good.
me4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #3  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

My DH's grandma makes it with splenda and vinegar and it is fabulous! I would kinda doubt the dressing mix is ok, just because most have sugar... but if you could list the ingredients that would be more helpful, as you know SBD isn't about counting
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:09 PM   #4  

There are several recipes for coleslaw in the South Beach cookbooks. We may have them posted here but I'm not sure. The one I usually make uses Splenda. And if the mix has carrot in it then it should be for phase 2.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

The only ingredient you have to worry about in the coleslaw dressing is the sugar. It should contain less than 3 grams per serving to meet SBD guidelines.
I make my own dressing with 1/3 part mayonnaise to 2/3 part NF plain yogurt, and add splenda to taste. Add a little FF milk to get it to the consistency you want. We love it!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

The things others have said are true--watch out for the ingredients in the dressing (you want to avoid sugar in the first three ingredients, hydrogenate oils of any kind, and any high fructose corn syrup), make sure it has less than 3g of sugar, and, if in Phase 1, avoid carrots in the coleslaw mix.

However, making homemade coleslaw is really easy. I do it all the time! I just use a Betty Crocker recipe and use splenda in place of sugar.
Ours is, I think:
1 cup of mayonnaise (feel free to mess with this...use part yogurt or whatever)
2 packets of Splenda
2 Tbsp of white vinegar
salt, pepper, and celery seeds to taste

I throw all of it in a ball canning jar, shake vigorously, then spoon out with a rubber spatula into a bowl of the coleslaw mix. Instant coleslaw!

I always add some of the "broccoli slaw" or "rainbow slaw" mixes to the bag of coleslaw mix for extra nutrition.

There's a recipe for Overnight Coleslaw in the SBD book (or cookbook?) that one of our Beachies adored. She even made it for breakfast! I haven't tried it, but it sounds good.

I've found tons of great coleslaw-ish recipes online. One of my favorites is an apple slaw made with the coleslaw bag, cut up apples, a little bit of sunflower seeds, and a vinaigrette dressing. Yum!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 201/See Ticker/152

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for the info. There is 4g of sugar per serving (1 TBSP), and sugar is listed as the third ingredient, so I guess I will have to make my own. Thanks for the recipes, I'm gonna try them.
Steen is offline   Reply With Quote