General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-14-2009, 10:59 PM   #1  
_________

Default What to eat...Specifically???

So, does anyone know what foods one should eat that would be healthy?
I'd be interested in hearing specifics...not replies such as "go Google it"

Wouldn't folks here have suggestions on what is considered
healthy foods for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks?
Rockrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:24 PM   #2  
Workin' It

I make smoothies for breakfast - frozen fruit, banana, lowfat yogurt, milk, protein powder. They can vary from 200-450 cals depending on the type of fruit, how much banana, how much protein powder. I never ate breakfast before, and got the smoothie suggestion from someone on this board when I asked what was something healthy I could do for breakfast.

I also got a suggestion of steel cut oats, but I never figured out how to fix those exactly.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:37 PM   #3  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

There are tons of healthy foods out there...

grass-fed beef, free range chicken, raw fruits and veggies, nuts. Try avoiding most packaged foods (they usually have extra sugar and salt added) and trygetting as many varieties of foods in your life as possible.
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:57 PM   #4  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Well that all depends on what you consider healthy. Not everyone agrees. Here are some of the things I eat and consider healthy.

Breakfast

- 2 organic eggs with the yolks
- 1 piece of Ezekiel bread (this has NO sugar or flour but it isn't low carb either)
- 1tbsp organic, trader joe's butter

Lunch
- organic bean burrito
or
- apple with natural peanut butter

Dinner
- chicken & rice
- beef stew with potatoes, carrots, onion and celery
- chili
- turkey, mash potatoes, vegetable
- baked fish, homemade whole wheat mac & cheese
- chicken stir fry with carrots, onions, zucchini, and snow peas

Snacks

- apples
- grapes
- tuna from a can
- raw cheese (it's so freakin delicious)
- peanut butter
- peaches
- triscuit with cream cheese (not all that healthy)
- cottage cheese and pineapple

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 01-14-2009 at 11:58 PM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:28 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

One of the simplest ways to think of "healthy" in terms of foods, is a wide variety of foods as close to their natural state as possible. I tend to think of it as "food my great-great-great.... grandparents would recognize as food." The further back I can go, the healthier the food (that is it would be better to choose a food that a Neanderthal would recognize than one that would stump my great grandma).

There are thousands and thousands and thousands of foods that can be included in a healthy diet, so it's very difficult to provide a list. There's no one food that you need to eat to be healthy, you can get any nutrient that exists from multiple sources. Also, no food is "healthy" except in combination with everything else you are eating. So to be healthy, you have to eat a wide variety of foods: fruits, vegetables, proteins, fats, (grains and dairy) I put grains and dairy in parentheses because some people argue that grains and dairy may not be particularly healthy, at least not in large quantities, because our early ancestors and even some aboriginal people's today generally haven't included many if any grain or dairy foods.

I really think a book on basic nutrition and superfoods would help you get a better understanding of the bigger picture, and healthy foods can only be understood by understanding the bigger picture. You can eat too much or too little in any food group.

No list of meals (unless it's hundreds of pages long) is going to provide a healthy, balanced diet. The more variety you can include the better, so when choosing veggies for example, aim for variety - the more colors the better (because color often indicates particular nutrients). Eat them in a variety of ways (raw, lightly cooked, well cooked) because there are studies that different levels of cooking make different nutrients more available. It isn't always true that raw is always best (though it's generally a decent rule of thumb).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:30 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

It's too big of an answer unless you help narrow it down. What do you like to eat? What do you dislike? If I tell you to eat steel cut oats for breakfast and you hate oatmeal, it won't be very helpful. Are you following any sort of plan?

For starters, you can check these out of the library:

World's Healthiest Foods

150 Healthiest Foods on Earth

What to Eat

And...I'm a little biased, but here is the book that started me on my journey - 4 years and 70 lbs ago:

Super Foods Rx: 14 Foods That Will Change Your Life

Last edited by Glory87; 01-15-2009 at 02:30 AM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:41 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

My suggestions would be:

Breakfasts

1. Oatmeal with dried fruit and a sprinkle of nuts. Real oatmeal, not the packaged stuff with sugar.

2. Something with eggs.

3. Whole grain toast with natural peanut butter

4. Breakfast wrap - whole grain tortilla, scrambled eggs, veggie sausage, salsa and spinach leaves

5. Low fat yogurt (Greek is especially good), with a measured serving of granola, a few berries

Snacks

1. Fruit
2. String cheese
3. Measured servings of nuts/trail mix (a serving is 1/4 cup, that's 200 calories
4. Hummus with whole wheat pita dip
5. Cottage cheese
6. Veggies (baby carrots, grape tomatoes, pepper strips, celery, sugar snap peas, edamame, cauliflower, etc etc) maybe with a lite/fat free ranch dip
7. pickles
8. Soy chips
9. Whole grain crackers and a wedge of laughing cow cheese
10. Low fat yogurt

Lunches

1. Sandwiches - whole grain bread, low calorie spread (mustard instead of mayo), piles of veggies, protein (turkey, chicken etc)
2. Wraps
3. Salads - watch the cheese, croutons and dressing. Add beans, edamame, sugar snap peas, turkey, egg, tuna, salmon etc etc for a good protein source. Tons of veggies, a sprinkle of nuts (sesame seeds, cashews), lite dressing on the side
4. Soup
5. Healthy dinner leftovers

Dinners

1. Veggie stir fry with a protein (chicken, shrimp, etc) over a measured portion of brown rice
2. The standard - protein + veggie + healthy carbohydrate (small steak, steamed green beans, baked sweet potato) or (maple glazed salmon over brown rice with steamed broccoli)
3. Chili (made with lean turkey and beans, lots of veggies) with whole wheat crackers
4. Home made spaghetti sauce over a measured serving of whole wheat pasta
5. Burgers - whole grain bun, lots of veggies, lean protein (salmon burger? tuna burger?) with home made oven fries
6. HOme made pizza - Trader JOe's makes a great whole wheat crust, spicy marinara, lots of veggies, lite on the cheese (a little feta has a lot of taste for not a lot of calories)
7. Omelette - stuffed with veggies, topped with salsa
8. Quesadillas - 2 whole wheat tortillas stuffed with filling (I like spinach or BBQ chicken), served wth salsa (a little cheese to stick everything together)
9. Veggie tacos - 3 blue corn shells, spicy lean ground turkey, tons of salsa, lettuce, tomatoes, light on the cheese, side of refried black beans
10. Salads - lots of protein! add a little bit of fun stuff for crunch (a few tortilla strips, etc)

Basically - I try to picture a plate divided into 4 quarters. 1/2 is vegetables, 1/4 is a lean protein, 1/4 is a complex carbohydrate (and I add a little bit of healthy fats).

Good luck!

Last edited by Glory87; 01-15-2009 at 02:42 AM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:06 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 240/232/197

Height: 6'4

Cool

Healthy.. I just eliminated all grease and such out of my eating patterns.. No more butter..greasy fries, fast food, salt.. try to eat 2 salads a day.. and just proper food without grease.. Only been doing it for alittle over a week, and alreay feel much better for it..Don't have ascale.. so just measure my stomach once a week..
Redneck Charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:29 AM   #9  
_________

OK, great info...thanks!
I'll study this stuff and post any further questions that may come up.
Rockrz is offline   Reply With Quote