General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #1  
katiejames

S/C/G: 265/186/165

Height: 5'6

Unhappy i need feed back ASAP!! please!

in the past year i went from a size 11 to a size 18-20 ( actually less than) today my doc calls me with some test results.. i had a CT scan done yesterday. anyway so he said i have a 3 inch cyst on my right ovary and also that my liver has a "substantial" amount of fatty tissue around it. what does this mean? i looked up fatty tissue and it says i need to lose weight to fix the problem but i gained weight because of this problem... i am sooo confused.. i need some feed back from anyone who had this problem and what happened...
katiejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:25 PM   #2  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

There are some nurses on here. I'll see if I can remember their names and PM them to come and look at your post.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #3  
katiejames

thank you!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I think you need to go back to your doctor and make him explain the significance of his findings and what you need to do to get yourself healthy. If he won't explain it to your satisfaction, find another doctor.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #5  
ugggg.....

I had to have a cyst the size of a large lemon wrapped around my ovary removed--I didn't gain weight from it or lose any when it was removed.

Does your doctor know of your weight gain?? Always report any significant weight loss whether loss or gain to your doctor--it could be a sign of something else.
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #6  
katiejames

yeah the docs are well aware of the weight gain... that is how i found out about the liver problems... they are trying to find the answer but nothing comes up.. idk i am irritated about it
Old 01-13-2009, 05:58 PM   #7  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
I think you need to go back to your doctor and make him explain the significance of his findings and what you need to do to get yourself healthy. If he won't explain it to your satisfaction, find another doctor.
This is also very good advice. We had to fire our last dr. because they would never return phone calls. boobalah needed results from some x-rays and blood tests. They wouldn't give him the results over the phone. He had to make an appointment each time!

You should be able to call your dr. and get some answers. Glory is right. If he won't explain it, fire him.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I agree, talk to your doctor. I would have expected him to tell you what needs to be done. If he doesn't do this very soon, get a second opinion.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #9  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

A cyst makes me wonder if you might have PCOS- specially if in one year you almost doubled in size (any stresses that caused you to gain weight?).

I got huge when I started college- never knew I had PCOS till then!

Check this out:
http://www.4woman.gov/faq/polycystic-ovary-syndrome.cfm

see if the symptoms might apply to you and if they do find a doctor who actually knows about PCOS and get the help you need.

Good luck! When I finally found a doctor who knew about PCOS I had cysts EVERYWHERE she put me on birth control and metformin and within months the cysts were all gone.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #10  
ugggg.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiejames View Post
yeah the docs are well aware of the weight gain... that is how i found out about the liver problems... they are trying to find the answer but nothing comes up.. idk i am irritated about it
I would ask friends who they think are good doctors and get a second opionion. I hope somebody figures out whats going on. I am sure the not knowing would be extremely irritating.
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Im with everyone else on this, make your doctor explain in language you can understand and if he won't or can't than you need a new doctor.
jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #12  
katiejames

i see the new doc on friday... and this is actually my second opinion.. the first doc just told me i was fat and had heartburn because i gained weight... this new doc told me that i actually had a stomach ulcer not heartburn.. and he said that although my weight is high he can tell that it is sitting in my stomach. his concern came when i had some bleeding from the other end this past friday.. hence the CT scan... i am relieved to have answers but now i just have a ton of questions and friday seems like an eternity... i have had elevated liver panels at the first doc for years... and they never said much about it... but then they called me in dec to tell me that i was no longer allowed to drink alcohol and blah blah blah and to come in for more labs... ( this is confusing, i know) but the labs results they were concerned about were back in the begin of oct!!! they also scared the crap outta me by saying i needed to rush in for more blood work ( which i did) and they said that my liver panels were still high and come back in six months.. i cried cause i felt like they didnt listen.. anyway so that brings me to friday ( the rear bleeding for 3 days) and that is when the new doc ordered a CT scan and that is how we got some answers.. but now more questions... ugh ugh ugh!! lol
ps thanks so much for all the feedback
Old 01-14-2009, 12:11 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Probably what they are talking about is fatty liver, not fatty tissue around the liver. There's a difference, and I think that will give you better search results. But you truly have to ask your doctor(s) to be sure what they're talking about for you.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Try not to panic, but get all the information and professional advice you can. A healthy liver is very important for your overall health.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:40 AM   #15  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

on friday--bring a written list of questions-- mark them off as the doc answers and do not let doc leave the room until all answers make sense to you!

good luck!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote