Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #1  
Wandering in the Woods

Default I hike a lot , almost everyday, basically am fit *and* fat.

I hike with the dog anywhere from 30 minutes to 90 minutes, averaging 45 to an hour, almost daily. I have a history of being pretty athletic, even though I've slowed down in middle-age. I eat mostly whole foods, mostly made from scratch, but with binging a real culprit for wieght gain. I understand the calorie in and out thing. But , if I eat less , I know it will affect my stamina for hiking. The only other option is to go further, but then I get so sore , my back begins to ache and I'm out for a couple of days. (and Doggo really doesn't like that!)

I've found that for me to exercize moderately, I go for an hour hike in the hilly dirt roads around here, most every day... and try to push for a second hike in the afternoon. Sheesh, goodthing I'm self employed, it takes so much time to stay exercized... and I'm still talking about 50 pounds I need to lose. Something has *got* to give....

Last edited by Hermit Girl; 01-12-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Hermit Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

I've seen a lot of posts about how losing weight is 80% food, 20% exercise. And while I'm not sure about how true that is, I do know that you've got daily exercise down pat. And from your posts you eat mostly healthy foods, it's just the portions that spiral out of control.

I think you might be surprised just how far you can hike and move while eating a little less. Mind you, I'm not talking about shaving off 1,000 calories to begin with or anything, but rather just keeping track and just starting off by taking 100 or 200 calories less than you usually do.

Keep up the daily hikes.
Keep up the mostly whole foods lifestyle.
Monitor your calories for a few weeks. Maybe not even make changes, yet. Simply watching.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:39 PM   #3  
Wandering in the Woods

Thank you Faerie, that is wise advise. Of course, I realize I'm eating too much, and getting your 'approval' so to speak, that my exercize is legitimate for even losing weight, it's just screamin' obvious that I'm going to have to do with smaller portions. I think the portion size is so psychological, and when one is motivated, truly, one doesn't feel the difference between 1 piece of ww toast with pb, or 2, and shaving off a few trips to the kitchen for a snack. I'm clearly suffering in the modivation department. If I could lose just 3 pounds, I'd feel a jolt, but I am steadily gaining. I'm posibly just peri-menopausal in my perspective of food with a ravenous appetite, which doesn't help a bit.

Last edited by Hermit Girl; 01-12-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:43 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

As much as I wish I could bottle up motivation with a side of whole wheat bread that would cause 3 pounds to instantly drop off the scale and send it on over your way, a hug will have to do
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #5  
No description available.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

It sounds like you're active. That is good! It sounds like your body has adapted to your hiking. I agree you might need to tweak the food, but I would also encourage you to tweak your exercise. Do something new to shake your body out of its adaptation. Maybe lift weights or hike very vigorously and then recover, hike vigorously and recover.

Good luck!

Last edited by midwife; 01-12-2009 at 07:48 PM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:50 PM   #6  
Wandering in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

It sounds like you're active. That is good! It sounds like your body has adapted to your hiking. I agree you might need to tweak the food, but I would also encourage you to tweak your exercise. Do something new to shake your body out of its adaptation. Maybe lift weights or hike very vigorously and then recover, hike vigorously and recover.

Good luck!
I love StatingTheObvious type of wisdom. Yes, I will just have to start tweaking , in a non-threatening way, both ends, so one doesn't seem so overwhelming. Thank you Midwife.

Last edited by Hermit Girl; 01-12-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #7  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Girl View Post
I think the portion size is so psychological, and when one is motivated, truly, one doesn't feel the difference between 1 piece of ww toast with pb, or 2, and shaving off a few trips to the kitchen for a snack. I'm clearly suffering in the modivation department. If I could lose just 3 pounds, I'd feel a jolt, but I am steadily gaining. I'm posibly just peri-menopausal in my perspective of food with a ravenous appetite, which doesn't help a bit.
You could try telling yourself this: "I can eat whatever portions I want, but I'm going to start with just one. After one, then I'll see if I want more. But maybe one will do."

I almost always think I want twice as much, before I eat whatever it is. Then I find I can be satisfied with just a modest amount, actually.

You possibly could also experiment with reducing the quantity of starchy and sugary carbs you are eating. For many people, these are an appetite-increaser; whereas eating a diet that proportionately is more about lean meats, veggies, and good fats reduces appetite. Simply changing the balance of your diet may change your appetite naturally.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #8  
Wandering in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMaiden View Post
...You possibly could also experiment with reducing the quantity of starchy and sugary carbs you are eating. For many people, these are an appetite-increaser; whereas eating a diet that proportionately is more about lean meats, veggies, and good fats reduces appetite. Simply changing the balance of your diet may change your appetite naturally.
I have always had a suspicion that my 'little' sugar indulgances (mostly chocolate, home made icecream and off/on white flour made things like pasta binge) have been the culprit. Sugar could very well be a hidden trigger for me... as I begin to crave the white flour, and starches to go with it , and then the butter to go with the starches, on and on. I think now that the holidays are over (my birthday passing two days ago, is the end of the holidays for me) I can just say no to all sugar for some weeks and see what happens. No chocolate, no pumkin-superfoodRX-pie , for a solid month, and that's not so threatening. I will be happy if I end up losing my sweet, starch, and butter tooth. Maybe I'll gain a protein and a veggie tooth ! I am just realizing that in the last few months I have gotten in the habit of eating sweetened fruit yogurts, just to get the health benefits of the yogurt. That is sugar too.... hmmm. Needless to say, all of this lack of balance isn't going to make the exercize any easier !

So, a little less food, a little more exercize, and no sugar ! (Um.... starting tomorrow morning, after my birthday cake is finished )

Last edited by Hermit Girl; 01-12-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:15 PM   #9  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I think you ought to take a look at this as well. Exercise is great, but more won't compensate for poor eating habits, and we wouldn't want you to injure yourself in trying to burn everything off.

Last edited by Wolf Goddess; 01-12-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:12 PM   #10  
Wandering in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Goddess View Post
I think you ought to take a look at this as well. Exercise is great, but more won't compensate for poor eating habits, and we wouldn't want you to injure yourself in trying to burn everything off.
Walking my dog in the woods, most days, I don't think is considered overdoing it. Even if I were to go out for a second walk. I think I know what you're putting out there, and often so many people become obsessed about exercize, I just know that I'm not one of them. I do love a nice hike in the fresh outdoors, but I abhor gyms and working out for the heck of it. Thanks for the concern Wolf Goddess, and congrats on your success with yours
Old 01-12-2009, 11:22 PM   #11  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

Insanity = Doing one thing over and over again and expecting a different result
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:28 PM   #12  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I am a lifelong hiker. I grew up white water rafting and have guided several trips. I've snowboarded, mountain biked and snowshoed... all while fat. Additionally, the foods that made up my diet were relatively healthful and whole.

I've never hesitated to take on adventures and during the summers I lived on the trails. However, I could never quite crack that "code".

It wasn't until I adjusted my intake and accepted that my body will revolt against certain foods (breads and pastas) that I actually lost weight.

And the first summer after losing all that weight I made it to the top of my first 14-er (picture of triumph in profile )

So I really do agree with Faerie, that you're body might surprise you in what it's able to handle on less food.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:16 AM   #13  
No description available.

Quote:
I love StatingTheObvious type of wisdom. Yes, I will just have to start tweaking , in a non-threatening way, both ends, so one doesn't seem so overwhelming. Thank you Midwife.

Sorry! I know you know that already. I'm the Queen of stating the obvious sometimes.....and in retrospect, I'm not sure it is always helpful.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:54 AM   #14  
Wandering in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
I am a lifelong hiker. I grew up white water rafting and have guided several trips. I've snowboarded, mountain biked and snowshoed... all while fat. Additionally, the foods that made up my diet were relatively healthful and whole.

I've never hesitated to take on adventures and during the summers I lived on the trails. However, I could never quite crack that "code".

It wasn't until I adjusted my intake and accepted that my body will revolt against certain foods (breads and pastas) that I actually lost weight.

And the first summer after losing all that weight I made it to the top of my first 14-er (picture of triumph in profile )

So I really do agree with Faerie, that you're body might surprise you in what it's able to handle on less food.
JUnebug, we're birds of a feather. I read my title once more "Fit and Fat". So, if I'm already fit, that pretty much leaves most of the rest to the food part. However, I am going to push for longer hikes, and somedays go out twice (before Iknow it , I'll be back on my bikes) . Anyway, I am implementing SuperfoodsRX and cutting out sugar (only as treat every once in a while, not 5 X a day ) , and willing to track my food. I'm not willing as of yet to count the calories, but I am willing to track what I eat, that way I can really start examining my diet. Thanks ps. My name is also Jen, and a friend a long time ago nicknamed me Junebug. What a coincidence !

Last edited by Hermit Girl; 01-13-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #15  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
JUnebug, we're birds of a feather. I read my title once more "Fit and Fat". So, if I'm already fit, that pretty much leaves most of the rest to the food part. However, I am going to push for longer hikes, and somedays go out twice (before Iknow it , I'll be back on my bikes) . Anyway, I am implementing SuperfoodsRX and cutting out sugar (only as treat every once in a while, not 5 X a day ) , and willing to track my food. I'm not willing as of yet to count the calories, but I am willing to track what I eat, that way I can really start examining my diet. Thanks ps. My name is also Jen, and a friend a long time ago nicknamed me Junebug. What a coincidence !
I'm Junebug for the same reason! Too cool!

For me, tracking calories and everything was completely overwhelming, so I worked on portion control and eliminating trigger foods and that helped tremendously. I am a terrible tracker. I like "mental notes"

Wow! 2 hikes a day! I would give just about anything to get any in (blast you, winter!).
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote