Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

View Poll Results: Chocolate Milk?
Yes, I think some processed sugar after a workout is a good thing 16 43.24%
No, I don't think processed sugar is good for our bodies, even after a workout 15 40.54%
I'm not sure..I'll have to think about it. 6 16.22%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #1  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Default Would you drink chocolate milk?

Would/Do you drink chocolate milk after a workout? I know some recommend it and I know some do NOT. What is your opinion?
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #2  
No description available.

Sure. I read an article in Runners World about a study that indicated chocolate milk helps runners recover from a long run just as well if not better than sports drinks.

So, yes after a long run.
No after weight lifting. I have a chocolate protein shake though.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I just bought some chocolate soymilk to try for this very reason. Just an experiment, you know Now, I just have to start a workout that warrants this treatment ...
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #4  
Meg

If anyone's interested, here's a link to the original study that compared chocolate milk to other sports drinks for post-workout recovery: Chocolate Milk As A Post-Workout Recovery Aid. Apparently chocolate milk contains a 3:1 ratio of simple carbs to protein that is considered ideal for post-exercise recovery. The sugar in it is a simple carb, which is recommended post-workout for fast glycogen resynthesis (getting glycogen back into depleted muscles).

Even though I understand the theory behind post-workout chocolate milk, I just don't think I could handle the sugar -- huge trigger! So my post-workout carb is oatmeal.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #5  
No description available.

Cool! Thanks, Meg! So it was for cyclists....and male ones at that! I shall still extrapolate the results to myself as a female runner.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #6  
Hug a Tree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
Sure. I read an article in Runners World about a study that indicated chocolate milk helps runners recover from a long run just as well if not better than sports drinks.

So, yes after a long run.
No after weight lifting. I have a chocolate protein shake though.
What if you were not a runner, just someone who walks a few times a week in order to lose weight? I was having this discussion with someone on a site where no one runs and the workouts that are done are minimal. But she was advocating chocolate milk to everyone. I personally disagree with having that sort of sugar after a workout. Carbs yes, definitely but not "table sugar" they put in chocolate milk. That should be a treat, not something you have on a regular basis. That is my thought anyway.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #7  
Meg

Landon, I'd call that wistful thinking on the part of the occasional walker. The role of sugar is to replenish muscles that are depleted of glycogen and to act as a fast transport to get protein back into muscles. For most of us, walking isn't going to be the kind of workout that depletes glycogen and requires replenishment. A heavy weightlifting session or hard cardio, yes, but not the kind of exercise that you're describing.

Ah, but we all can dream ...
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #8  
Hug a Tree!

Yes, well, I know that but I find it hard to get my thoughts out to other people. I was told the woman I was debating with is "real runner". Whatever that is. I'm assuming it means she runs on a regular basis? But no one else she was talking to does. And I'm the only one who there who does any weight training. Well, I think the one woman used to do it but I don't think she is doing it anymore. I am so bad at giving my opinion. I always feel stupid afterward.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Yes, but not for the reason you listed. Its the combination of sugar and the combo of whey and casein protein .

I buy organic chocolate milk so that I have sugar, not HFCS in my chocolate milk.

And I only use it after very long runs, there is simply no need for any kind of "recovery drink" for less than 90 minutes. I'll use it after a 2+ hour session though.

Last edited by ennay; 01-12-2009 at 05:49 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonsBaby View Post
But she was advocating chocolate milk to everyone. I personally disagree with having that sort of sugar after a workout. Carbs yes, definitely but not "table sugar" they put in chocolate milk. That should be a treat, not something you have on a regular basis. That is my thought anyway.
That woman was high. Chocolate milk is not miracle food and is very caloric. It's only needed after extreme sessions where your muscles are DEPLETED. Sugar to replace glycogen, protein to allow muscles to absorb glycogen, some fluid for hydration. You can do about the same with a good turkey sandwich except immediately after hard effort the body doesnt digest very quickly, and the milk absorbs faster.

Since the study many of the sports drink companies have boosted the protein to try to more closely mimic. But gee, would I rather chug some lemon flavored glop or chocolate milk...lemme think
Old 01-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #11  
=D

Is there anything chocolate milk could do for replenishing depleted glycogen levels that another healthier snak with complex carbs and protein couldn't do better?

I understand the theory behind what you're saying, Landons baby. Of course it will work for giving you a boost after a workout - it's loaded with sugar (fat, too - and since its milk, also some protein), but there's healthier options that will be a lot more beneficial for your body.

Surely a cup of skim milk with a small handful of almonds or tuna with 1/2 a slice of wholegrain toast or an apple would provide what the body needs after a work out in a better way?

Plus, it'd be required after a high intensity work out. Most people that engage in that sort of thing know to have the right balance of carbs before and after a workout - before for fuel, and after for recovery.

But chocolate milk is far more marketableto the general population, and if someone can get you to believe you're doing the right thing by reaching for a cup of choco instead of a healthier alternative, who's gonna say no to that?
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:21 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
I just bought some chocolate soymilk to try for this very reason. Just an experiment, you know Now, I just have to start a workout that warrants this treatment ...
Chocolate soymilk, what a concept. That sounds so good, I had forgotten that there was such a thing. I now have something to look forward to. Oh how I miss chocolate.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #13  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

mazza - well the point of the study was to refute the need to buy specialized products like gatorade.

In theory liquids will be absorbed faster than almonds, tuna , toast and an apple...and its a lot more portable. And simple carbs are DEFINITELY absorbed faster and more convertable to glycogen than complex carbs. There are certain situations where relying on complex carbs will not provide fuel at the speed the body would like to absorb it and simple carbs do the job better. The right fuel for the right job.

But it is being overhyped (as have ALL sports drinks) as being appropriate and even necessary for every workout.

Personally, I have found that if I drink about 10-12 oz of chocolate milk immediately after an 18-20 mile run - WAY before I could stomach anything that requires chewing. Or for that matter way faster than I could EAT 200 calories of solid food - I will be less hungry and eat SIGNIFICANTLY less during the remainder of the day than if I eat more complex slower digesting foods.

I used to come home from a run and eat oatmeal and eggs and veggies - or a sandwich etc...exactly what you would think would be more satiating. And then all freaking day long I was RAVENOUS and no amount of food would stop it.

Now I come back, drink my chocolate milk. and then return to my normal day. (which means breakfast immediately following the chocolate milk).

It saves me a net 600-700 calories over the course of the day to just take the 200 calorie hit when my body is screaming for it.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #14  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

I think the chocolate milk would appeal to the workouts that Michael Phelps does, has anyone seen his power breakfasts?? lol
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #15  
Hug a Tree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN BSN 2009 View Post
I think the chocolate milk would appeal to the workouts that Michael Phelps does, has anyone seen his power breakfasts?? lol
Oh but he'd get to drink an entire gallon. I cant say I'm not a little envious.