Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-29-2008, 01:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/172.8/145

Height: 5'2

Question ?? about toning

I usually do cardio 5 times a week and take a toning class 2 times a week. Typically I take saturday's and sunday's off. I am thinking about adding a little bit of toning on Saturday's. I really really really don't want to go to the gym on Saturdays and I don't want to feel like I am doing a workout, I want to feel like it still is a day off. I thought about doing a few sets of different lifts during commercial breaks of my favorite shows I watch Saturday's.
I think the extra toning is a wonderful idea but how I am planning on getting it I am not sure is a good way. Does anybody else do this? Do you guys think it will actually benefit me doing it this way? Is it ok to do this considering I am watching tv between lifting so more and likely my body won't be warmed up as it is durign a regular workout?
DisgruntledOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/135-see tracker

Height: 5 ' 3"

What about a few minutes of jumprope or jogging to warm up? I get that psychologically you don't want it to feel like another workout so you're trying to keep it low key but a minute or 2 of either would warm you up a bit and then you could go right into the lifts.

I'm no expert but it seems that tho' the benefit might not be as much as in a regular workout, there still would be benefit and it still would be more than you would be getting otherwise. My opinion-try it and see. I'd also be sure to include some stretching someplace in the mix.

Congrats on all your progress so far. Keep up the good work!!

I have stalled out on counting calories and practically stalled out on exercise. I switched from curves to 24 hour fitness. While i think that ultimately 24hour fitness offers more options-classes, pool, all sorts of cardio and weight machines, the big problem still remains-i have to get myself there on a regular basis. I need to visit here more for inspiration.

Thanks for posting and keep up the good work.
Ailey60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #3  
banned

Default Get more rest

If you are not increasing the load you are lifting (Either more weight or more reps) each workout then you are not gettign sufficient rest between workouts.
jaypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:36 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I believe with weight lifting, its good to always have a plan. I'm not sure how intense your class is, but is it a true weights class or is it a cardio weights class? (using lighter weights to increase heart rate)

I do weights at home and I watch tv but I don't rest 'too long'. I also have a plan on what type of weights I'm doing when. Do I want to work my upper body? My lower body? A warmup is a good idea with weights but you can also do weights as part of your warmup, basically a set of light weights.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:36 AM   #5  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

hi nelie its been a while glad to see your doing really really well.

disgruntled one. (love the name) instead of addine another toning session try swimming. 1. it wont loverload your knee and hip joints 2. its rather theraputic and a good excuse to use the sauna after. and 3. if you do slow deliberate strokes really stretching your arms and legs out all the way. it will tone plus its a work out and is rather nice.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote