Old 01-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Lightbulb Ziploc Omelets

This looks like a great idea! A friend e-mailed it to me, but I haven't tried it. Since I hate eggs, would someone be willing to attempt it and let us know how it goes? Thanks!

Quote:
ZIPLOC OMELET
(This works great !!! Good for when all your family is together. The best part is that no one has to wait for their special omelet !!!)

Have guests write their name on a quart-size Ziploc freezer bag with permanent marker.

Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag (not more than 2) shake to combine them.

Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, hash browns, salsa, etc.

Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag and shake. Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.

Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot. For more, make another pot of boiling water.

Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared for everyone to be amazed.

Nice to serve with fresh fruit; everyone gets involved in the process and a great conversation piece.

Imagine having these ready the night before, and putting the bag in boiling water while you get ready.

And in 13 minutes, you've got a nice omelette for a quick breakfast!!!

Last edited by beachgal; 01-12-2009 at 01:34 PM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

I was told not to try it because the plastic isnt suppost to be heated.I think i read it could cause cancer.I thought it looked like a great way to feed a family without having to make one at a time.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 147/142/125

Height: 5'3

Great idea! Thanks for sharing!
butterflywings34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 325/315/225 by 8/1/09

Height: 66"

I am defintely going to try this, as it is, I make the breakfast quiches on the phase one, but since it is just me dieting, I get bored of them by the end of the week. This would be a great way to have variety every morning. I'll let you know how it works!
tiklmipink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #5  
Getting my Halle bod! :)

Height: short stack

that's the cutest idea!
butterflygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgramie View Post
I was told not to try it because the plastic isnt suppost to be heated

ETA 14:48: I found this link that says NOT to use Ziploc bags for cooking omelets: http://camping.about.com/od/campingr...locbaggies.htm

Last edited by ANOther; 01-12-2009 at 04:02 PM.
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:38 PM   #7  
EPW

S/C/G: 177/166/150

Height: 5' 8"

I so wanted to try this. This would be so great in the morning. I think I'll try bagging the omelettes the night before and then transfering to a microwave bowl. It's still a time saver.
EPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #8  

We do this all the time in Boy Scouts. In fact we do this at Cub Twilight camp with over 100 people. We use gallon size bags and you have to have some air in them so the bags will float but not too much. If you take all the air out the bags will sink to the bottom and melt. We recommend you use little cheese since the cheese makes the egg take longer to cook. Just add your cheese afterwards. We warm tortillas to serve the eggs in.

This is really cool since the boys get to fix their eggs however they like them. Just make sure you use precooked meat.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Wow, that's a lot of plastic in the trash!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:13 PM   #10  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

even the companies that make the bags do not recommend doing this.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:38 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

I tried this, this morning. I used steamer bags so they were ok to be heated. I cooked 1 sausage link per bag sauteed some onion and bell pepper added it to the 2 eggs with some salt and pepper, shook it up and placed 6 of them in the pot. Even the ones that weren't all the way in the pot cooked evenly all the way through.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:07 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Thats such a great idea! Im gonna look around to find the steamer bags so i can do this safely! Thanks for the tip!
waiting2exhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #13  

I think it looks awesome, but I don't buy or use plastic bags. If anyone can think of a creative way to do this without plastic, please post!
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #14  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

I understand everyone's concern with plastic. It's a personal decision.

However, I would think there's got to be a safe way to do this in a non-plastic vessel. Again, I'm not really interested in trying as I hate eggs. But here's a thought:

What about using Ball jars? You know, the canning kind? Couldn't you put them in a bath of boiling water like you would to seal them for canning? I'm not sure, as I've never done that, either, but I would think it would work. Could someone with canning experience chime in, here? I would think you could put all your stuff in the jar, close it up, and put it in the fridge until morning. It would probably seal tight during cooking, but you could still open it. If you sprayed the inside with Pam, I would think the eggs could come out easily, right?

Just a thought...
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:17 AM   #15  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

The more I am reading the more concerned I am becoming about the plastic..I have probably already damaged myself though because I have been doing that for over 20 years..

Great idea on the omlettes...yes, now if we can just figure out how to prepare..

You could maybe use the small pyrex ramekins (sp?) with the plastic cover...the next morning pop the cover off and put them in the oven?
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote