General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 138/130/125

Height: 5'6"

Default How did YOU get your flat tummy?

I'm probably just getting in one of my impatient ruts again .... but I am busting my tail off by eating right and counting calories; keeping my sodium, fat, and sugar intake as low as possible, eating at least 100+ grams of protein a day, and a variety of veggies. I workout at least 5 days a week, although the last 3 weeks or so I have been working out every single day. Also in the last week, I've started working my abs every single day in the hopes that that would shake some things up.

And that flab is STILL there. Now don't get me wrong; I'm very proud of where I've gotten and how great my body is looking from all my hard work. And the tummy area is *better* but still just not FLAT!!!

So to those who have lost weight and got that flat flat tummy -- HOW???

(I do realize everyone is different, but I'm just hoping to find some way to break this plateau I feel I've been on.)
beau159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 162/153/130

Height: 5'5"

I think everything that you're doing as far as eating and working out is great. However, what kind of ab exercises are you doing? If you are doing a standard crunch than you're doing the wrong excersise. Try and google lower abdominal workouts and see what comes up, because you're mostly concerned with the lower abdomen right? I mean I am, lol. Try laying on your back with your legs extended straight and then raise your legs up maybe 4-6 inches and just hold that position as long as you can, do that 3x. Another one is lying in the same position with your legs extended parallel to your body so you're shaped like an L. Put your hands behind your head and raise your hips off the floor, just a little, till you can feel it. Try 3 sets of 15 or more. It may take a while for your hard work to show on your tummy, because I personally think that's the hardest area, especailly for women, to tone. But keep working on it, it will get even better!
bonniethegreenbuilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:47 PM   #3  
Workin' It

If you find the answer let me know! :-) I'm currently 8 pounds under my goal weight and about your height, this morning I was 119.5. I currently measure 25.5" at the smallest part of my waist, 34.5" around my hips, 30" around the tummy - my biggest part is right above the pelvic bones, which I guess is pretty typical. That 30" is down from 36.5" of just a few months ago, so I know that the tummy fat is starting to burn!

I exercise 5-6 days per week, and have seen the most notable results on hips and thighs from weight training, and recently I've seen a lot of good results from yoga core and ab exercises.

Unfortunately, you can't spot reduce the tummy. All you can do is continue to burn fat and hope that is the fat that goes next! What you can do is try to work on those ab muscles so they look great when the last of the fat burns off! I'm afraid that I may be at the point where I'm stuck with what I've got, it has been pretty constant for several weeks...

Good luck!

Edit: One thing I did notice, I lost those inches on my tummy measurement after I reached goal weight, so it was the absolute last to go...

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 11-24-2008 at 01:49 PM. Reason: addition
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 238.5/?/no more scale 4 me!

Height: 5ft 4 (on a good day!)

I am the same way, even when i am at my thinnest my stomach never seems to get flat, it is the one area that i just can't seem to fix! I have read exercises on the stability ball as well as doing the bicycle (where you lie on your back and bend your knees and touch your knee to the alternate elbow) are the most effective. My trainer says to get really flat abs you have to really eat practically no fat at all, lots of protein.
bellastarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:19 PM   #5  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

I had to burn the fat to get my tummy flat. I had to lose my boobs, my booty, my thighs...to get the flat tummy. Time, exercise and being on a good diet is what worked for me. I try not to eat bad carbs (which swells my tummy up when it gets full)...and I don't eat too much at one time. I started trying to shrink my stomach therefore no more belly stretching.

Last edited by SBD Sass; 12-13-2008 at 10:19 PM.
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:52 PM   #6  

Bonnie: I am doing all sorts of different ab exercises to work all aspects: the "normal" abs (with standard crunches), obliques, lower abs, etc. I'm always looking for different ab workouts to keep them guessing. I already do both of the lower ab exercises you suggested, plus others for low abs. I also lift weights at the gym for my back (upper and lower) because you need a strong back AND abs for a strong core.

I also do bicycle crunches as bellastar mentioned, and I do keep my fat intake a minimum but it fat is ESSENTIAL TO LIVE so I do not keep it out entirely; just get it from the correct sources. But I am eating around 125 to 130 grams a protein a day (approximately 1 gram per pound of bodyweight) so that keeps the fat percentage down anyway.

SBD: I eat 6 small meals a day so my calories are very well spread out throughout the day and never go longer than 3 hours without eating something. I also drink about 64 ounces or more of water a day (usually more). Any carbs that go into my body are either from whole-grain sources or a fruit or veggie (no "bad" carbs here!)

I've just really noticed the last couple weeks that I just LOVE how the rest of my body looks (arms, legs, booty, bust) EXCEPT the middle area. Everything else is so nice and toned with good muscle definition EXCEPT that middle area. grrr.........

Any other suggestions?
Old 12-15-2008, 10:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I've heard from so so so many women who hit their goal weight that the tummy is the last to go. And I'm pretty sure I'll be another of those. I've lost EVERYWHERE (including my tummy) but slowest in that dreaded "pooch" spot right under my belly button.

*sigh*

I know that I just need to keep plugging along, but I'm pretty sure that it'll be the very very very last part of me to lose.

(And once I hit my goal weight I am NOT adverse to exploring a little lipo to smooth things out.)

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:05 PM   #8  

I wish so MUCH that I was out in the working world with an incoming salary so that I could go get lipo or something right now.

Because honestly, I would be totally happy at the weight I am at, I eat healthy so I would have no problem maintaining it, I work-out daily so I would have no problem maintaining it.

Just get that tummy sucked out.

But there's the little "it costs money" issue that doesn't fit in with the financial aid from the bank. And NO, I do not have time to get a job. I have 9 classes and 5 labs that require all my time!!! (that's grad school for ya)

Maybe someday.....
Old 12-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #9  

Eating lots of fruits and greens.

Running - something I love anyway.
irrevocable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

I second the running, it helped burn the excess fat, as well as eating clean and weighted abdominal twists, leg raises, reverse & regular crunches to strengthen ab muscles.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:14 PM   #11  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

OK I've been busting my chops doing at least 100 different variations of crunches each night and ummm I'm making little progress. I have a flat belly, but no pow pow yet. Can't see my abs or obliques...I guess it's more cardio for me. When is enough cardio enough??? I'm going to have to seriously have to get down to 150 at my height in order to show off my abs. I'm trying not to get discouraged. Maybe at 165 I'll get a little magic. Not so sure though.
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:22 AM   #12  

Eating lots of fruits and greens ---- already do that.

Running ---- already do that.

Clean and weighted abdominal twists, leg raises, reverse & regular crunches ------ already do ALL those plus more.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:48 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Lost 70+ lbs and still have a curved lower abdomen. Part of it is still fat, part of it is loose skin - quite frankly when I lie on my side, my tummy skin puddles like candle wax. I was 35 years old when I lost weight (although I've never had kids) and I figure I'll never have a gorgeous flat stomach. I still look great in clothes, and I love my slender body so much more than how I used to look, overall I'm very pleased.

I also remember that a lot of "flat bellies" I see in ads are airbrushed. I don't want to be perfect, I just want to be slender and healthy! My BMI is on the low side of normal and I have stick thin wrists and my collar bones stand out like cheese graters - I don't think losing more weight is in the answer for me - this is it!

Last edited by Glory87; 01-11-2009 at 02:50 AM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #14  

Part of it is pure genetics. Look at professional female athletes; they might be in fantastic shape and are hot as sin, but many do not have six-packs.

You can't spot reduce. HOWEVER, you'll still have muscle beneath the fat. When the fat comes off, you'll look down and be "Wow!" Buried treasure!
Phoenixflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:14 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 275/142/150

Height: 5'11"

When i need to flatten up, I lower my carbs, up my healthy fats, and do extra cardio. You can do all the ab workouts you want and you will strengthen them significantly, but if you want them to show its all about the diet and fat burn.
jessisaokay is offline   Reply With Quote