Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-08-2009, 02:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/232/145

Height: 5'5

Default Time To Move?

I'm trying to get a time down to exercise every day. What time of day is your routine? Do you even have a routine?
Amy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:04 AM   #2  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

usually i exercise around 8pm, but that time is now really busy (lots of new ppl at the gym) so I have started exercising around 10pm. I'm not a morning person, so I cant exercise at that time, and I go to school during the day and work, so late nights is my only real option if I want to hit the gym
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:20 AM   #3  
=D

I exercise in the mornings usually, though sometimes I go in the early afternoons.

I do weights 2 - 3 times a week on non consecutive days, and if I train the same muscle group more than 2 times a week, I mix up the workout (chest press instead of bench press, leg press instead of squats).

As for cardio - I cycle several hours a week, run and also walk. Occasionally, I'll do a class at the gym - like boxing, spin or aero circuit.

There really is no 'best' time to work out - just what works best for you.

It's good to have a routine - but make sure you change your workouts so that your body doesn't adapt to the exercise you're doing (and stop developing, improving, changing etc).
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 184/175.5/155

Height: 6'2"

It is 5:20 am right now and I am getting ready to head outside to run like I do 6 mornings a week. It's my one and only routine. I work fulltime, go to school fulltime and have 2 small children under the age of 5 so I have to do it then.
RunnerKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:50 AM   #5  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I normally work out early in the morning, because that works best for my schedule and my biological clock (I tend to be an early bird). Working out first thing gets me revved up for the day, adjusts my attitude (in a good way), and logistically, I only have to shower and change once for work. I have established a routine that works well for me -- alternating between running and gym classes of various types (strength training, yoga/pilates, etc). I strive for a balanced routine that incorporates the 4 pillars of physical training: cardio, strength, flexibility and balance.

You will have to see what works best for your schedule -- but no matter what block of time you choose, my suggestion is that you block out your personal calendar and make that time a priority. It is YOU time, and critically important to your overall health and wellbeing. It is so easy to let other things crowd exercise out of our life, but we can live better when we are more active and fit. It is a worthwhile investment in yourself that will pay dividends in all other aspects of your life. It's easy to say we don't have time to work out, but in reality, we can't afford not to. The other important things in your life will always get done.

Sorry -- off my soap box now!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I work out first thing in the morning for a few reasons. (1) It always gets done. (2) It really sets the tone for the day. It makes eating well easier. (3) I feel better all day.

I'm not an early riser by nature. I have to make myself do it, but once I do, I feel so much better than when I sleep in.

So presently I'm getting up at 5. When the alarm goes off, I get up immediately. No laying there and thinking about it - that *never* works . I stumble into the bathroom (sometimes with my eyes still closed ), do my thing, weigh, and get dressed for my workout. I usually have some small snack, like a small glass of green smoothie, or half a banana. I like to get the metabolism going, but I need a near empty stomach to workout. I drink a lot of water during the workout.

My workout is either running 3 miles, followed by about 1/2 hour of yoga focusing on stretches (whole body). Or it's about 1-1 1/2 hours of yoga, including lots of standing and strengthening poses.

It's definitely a routine, because the routine-ish-ness of it really helps me get it done every day.

I have to be at work at 8:30, so I have to get up early to get the work out in, and not rush through my breakfast. But surfing 3FC while I eat (and then for some time after!) eats up a lot of time. I'm still trying to solve that one
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #7  
Dorm Dieter

I make sure I arrive at the gym at 4:30PM so that I can get a machine for 30 minutes before abs class, and i'll still have time to get back to the dorm for dinner. I'd much prefer to exercise in the early morning/late night, but the long walk/run over there is kinda scary at night, and I don't want to show up to my 8AM classes all stinky.

Good luck picking a time!
huggamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/ONEDERLAND!

Height: 5'9

I usually exercise after breakfast and after lunch. I don't do it after dinner because that meal doesn't have as many carbs.
heather88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

I work out around 8:30 to 9:00 pm -- after my kids go to bed. I do 45 minutes on the exercise bike 5-6 days a week, while watching TV usually...I DVR my favorite "fluff" shows and ONLY watch them while I am exercising...so if I want to know what McDreamy is up to, I HAVE to exercise...great motivator.
I also do strength training at home, 3x a week, usually right before my cardio. When I strength train, I work all my major muscle groups with a mix of resistance band work and body weight exercises.

Last edited by Schumeany; 01-09-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/188.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I normally work out about 2pm, but that's technically my morning since I work nights. I wake up around 1:30, eat a fruit or something small, workout then eat my breakfast.

I've seen when I do it first thing, it helps motivate my eatting the rest of the day so I don't "waste my workout", lol. Also, I just have so much more energy & it seems if I put it off for later, it usually doesn't get done.
erynn1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

I don't have a set time during the day but I try to run every other day (so 3 or 4 times a week). There isn't much that can make me wake up earlier than I already do to get to school (6:30!) so morning workouts are usually a no go. I also feel a lot more energetic in the afternoon/evening when I've already eaten.
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #12  
Workin' It

I try for in the mornings, though I got way off routine in December.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I run at 5:30 in the morning. I have recently started 30 DS and am just doing it whenever I have time during the day.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote