Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-08-2009, 10:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 91/68/65 kg

Height: 172 cm 5ft8

Default Protein problems

Hey i just have a question about protein- ive only recently started putting my food into fitday, and it has a graph down the bottom which has made me see im not getting enough protein in.

here is the link if anyone wants to see my typical day-
http://www.fitday.com/fitness/FoodLo...ate=1231286400.

i know on the 7th i have a lot of fat- this is because i love pesto sauce on my sandwich and have only just realised how high in fat it is. Anyway i don't eat red meat, and only sometimes eat fish.

My mum buys these protein bars which taste amazing, and i was just wondering if i could substitute that as a morning snack instead of fruit, to get the protein hit? I will also start to include some beans and nuts in ofcourse.

it's just dont have any idea about protein bars/shakes and whether there are lots of chemicals or what not in them?
tarryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #2  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

There are many protein bars that are natural/organic. Do you have any holistic health food stores near you? They may be a little pricier, but they'll keep you fuller longer and it's an easy grab-and-go for the morning.

Thanks
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarryn View Post

it's just dont have any idea about protein bars/shakes and whether there are lots of chemicals or what not in them?
I use Metagenics protein powder. It's great and I feel soooo good after adding that extra 8 g of protein to my daily diet. I put it in my rice milk latte or in my cereal (I blend it with my yogurt to put on my cereal).

Beware of how many calories and fat protein bars are by the way....there are some good ones but there are some high-fat/calorie ones out there.

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Your fitday link isn't working. How little protein are we talking and how much are you aiming for? It's virtually impossible to get a dangerously low level of protein if you are eating enough calories. Fruit, veggies, and grains have protein in them as well as traditional sources. Many Americans actually consume too much protein. That said, I understand why you would want to up your protein during weight loss, if it is really low.

Great non-meat protein sources are:

Soy products (tofu, edamame, soy milk, etc.)
Eggs
Nuts and Nut Butters (in moderation, of course)
Beans and lentils
Cheese
Yogurt
Milk (if you are able to drink it)

You get the idea. As far as the protein bars, be careful and read your labels. Most, so-called protein bars are mearly candy bars in disguise. Make sure you pick one that is minimally processed, contains fiber as well as protein and isn't loaded with sugars and unhealthy fats.

Last edited by zenor77; 01-08-2009 at 10:57 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

I eat protein bars fairly frequently for my morning or afternoon snacks --not everyday, but they are a weakness of mine. I have not found them detrimental to my weight loss, and they are easy to carry, and they are a pretty easy way to get a nice hit of protein when you need one. Since I have been so "good" about the rest of my largely whole foods diet, I justify them to myself.

However, a lot of them are high in sugar, and the ones that are not, that use sugar alcohols, etc. to sweeten DO NOT agree with me at all...I get all the side effects you read about...bloating, gas, loose...um...you get the picture. So I go with the ones with the real sugars to sweeten...but I am not a person who suffers much from "carb cravings" and big dips in energy from eating sugar...only you will be able to know if they make your cravings worse.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #6  

ok that link doesnt work so please ignore

ok say my daily %of pro, carb and fat are-

Carb-54%
Fat-37%
Protein-9%

i have no idea about things like this- but it just looks really wrong?
schumeany i think i am the same as you with the bloating and stuff! cant beat real sugar right?
i am the same as you, all wholefoods so i figured to get my protein this could be an easy way out, seeing as i barely have much time to do anything these days.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

I aim for a 40% carb, 30% protein, 30% fat diet. Your fat is a little high, but not too bad as long as you are emphasizing "healthy" fats like olive oil, fish, nuts, some diary, avocados, etc. While you might want to bring the fats down a little, it is your carbs and protein that look like they need to be adjusted -- your protein is pretty low. If you are working out, that low of a protein level will force your body to burn too high a percentage of its own lean muscle mass as it is also burns fat which, over time, is going to start to make weight loss harder as burning off your lean muscle mass drops your metabolism.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #8  

yeh i could tell it just wasnt right- all the fats are good fats, no chocolate fried foods sweets ect..so looks like i defintaly need to up the protein to start that fat burning!
Old 01-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #9  
No description available.

I saw your other post where you want to step up the strength training. To build muscle, your body needs protein. My protein staples are eggs, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and protein shakes. I also eat turkey, chicken & fish. Beans and some veggies will give you some protein, but strength training will tear down your muscles so they can be rebuilt stronger and your body will need plenty of protein for that.

I aim for 125 grams of protein a day.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #10  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

As a vegetarian, I used to struggle with getting enough protein - and I really think it kept me from losing weight.
Now, I make sure I balance (40/30/30).

Some of my protein staples:
Thomas Light Multigrain English Muffins
Flatout bread
Joseph's Heart Healthy pitas
Laughing Cow cheese
Plain yogurt
LF cheeses
Nuts and nut butters
Beans/Lentils/Grain mixes
Soy/Veggie burgers and products (Morningstar Farms, Boca, Gardenburger, and the like)
Higher protein cereals (with LF milk or yogurt)
South Beach Protein breakfast bars
Balance 100 calorie bars
Light string cheese
Tide-Me-Over drink mix
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:02 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Yeah, whole grains are a great source of additional protein for veg*ns.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:40 PM   #12  

I second the motion about nut butters. A healthy fat, and you don't need a lot to fill you up for a long stretch.

I do some of these:
a toasted Kashi waffle w/cashew butter and sliced banana
almond butter and chopped apples rolled into a tortilla and sliced
good ol' peanut butter in celery sticks
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote