Old 01-08-2009, 07:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Default 30 Something Chat Thurs Jan 8th

GOOOOOOOOOOO GATORS!

Ok got that out for now LOL.

Hope everyone is doing well. I'm going to try to be good and eat very low calories wise today since tonight i'm going to watch the game at a sports bar, so we'll see how it goes.

Riley-hang in there..i know its probably frustrating..but looking at your stats...you are very very close to goal..if you talk to a lot on the site here, you find that a lot of people who are close to goal have a tough time at that point..hang in there..you are doing so well.

im a bit tired today...worked out hard yesterday. Rode the horse for 45 min, walked the dog for 30 and then did a workout at the gym (including 6 min run and 30 min of high intensity wt training). I feel all my muscles today LOL.

hope everyone has a great day.

Last edited by GatorgalstuckinGA; 01-08-2009 at 07:49 AM.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/160

Height: 5' 8"

Morning all!

I read thru yesterdays posts and understand the frustration you all feel with food. I think an important thing to remember is that it's not just meals that are important, it's snacks too. Healthy snacks will get you thru to the meals which is important because if you're anything like me... when you're hungry, you lose control.

This is what I propose... (I've always wanted to say that.. LOL)... based on approximately 1500 calories a day (give or take a calorie or two)...

Never skip breakfast... ever. Why? Because it's the meal that gets your metabolism going for the day!! Choosing not to eat breakfast is like choosing to have a slow metabolism. You're breakfast should consist of (example) 1/2 c. granola cereal w/ 1/2 c. skim milk, 1/2 banana and 1 serving of yogurt. If you tend to get hungry midmorning, eat the banana and the yogurt about 1.5 hours before you plan to eat lunch. It will help keep your metabolism humming. Hunger is a sign that your metabolism is up and wants to be fed. A midmorning snack is just the trick to do that.

Lunch is easy... Weight watchers smart one or a Lean Cuisine and a small salad with fat free or light dressing of choice. OR... 3 oz Tuna w/ 1 Tbsp. light mayo on Rye or whole wheat, salad or yogurt... You get the picture.

Afternoon snack... fruit serving and a yogurt. Or a hard boiled egg or something like that.

Dinner... easiest of all meals. EAt what your family is eating. Measure weights and do not take seconds. If they are eating hot dogs and french fries, so are you... but you have 1 hot dog on a roll and 1 serving (11 fries??) of fries (Read the bag... I use Ore-Ida). Steak and baked potato? Yes!! 3-4 oz steak and a small potato with Diet Spray on butter and even a tbsp of sour cream is OK!! Don't you love this?? LOL Just make sure you count all of the food you eat in a diary log that counts the calories for you.

Eating with your family allows you to feel "normal" and not on a diet. Sure you're still aware that you can't overeat but for me, I'm not secluded from my family like I was on Michael Thurmond (I ate in my room so I wouldn't smell what they were eating)... and I get to eat the same thing they're eating (unlike Nutrisystem when I had to eat their food).

Evening snack?? Yep!! You get one of those too!! I have found some snacks I love and I stick with those. The 100 calorie packs are good, a water ice cup (Rosati's Root Beer is the bomb!) which is good because it takes long to eat, even some hard pretzels dipped in mustard. It's all about you and what you like. What ever you choose for your pm snack shouldn't be over 150 calories or so.

On Saturdays, we order pizza or wings or some other junk food for dinner... that's my indulgence. I know if I'm wanting something during the week, I only have to wait til saturdays dinner to have it. (I weigh in Saturday mornings so I have whole week to burn off the extra calories)... And half the time, I've changed my mind since then!! LOL Knowing you can have a food you crave/love/obsess over makes all the difference.

If you don't know what serving sizes are correct for the foods you eat, Google it. Sparkpeople.com has worked well for me too. Their diet and fitness diaries can help keep you on track.

This method of eating has worked for me and I've lost almost 28 pounds doing just what I mentioned above. Of course you have to find what works for you and maybe you won't like the things I like but this should give you some idea of how I work my meal plans.

Welcome to all the newbies! You are in the right place for success!!

Have a great day all!!
poppyseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:29 AM   #3  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Mornin' All!

Need Coffee!! I'm off to drop the boys off, then go to mom's to p/u some stuff for the boys and put her Christmas stuff away.

Valerie, aren't you a ball of motivation this AM?! I love it! Great advice!

Have a great day all!
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:02 AM   #4  
Maintanier to the MAX

S/C/G: Maintainer

Hello Ladies!! Happy Thursday!

I feel energized this morning. Ah... love that feeling.

Going to visit dh at work for lunch with the kiddos. Haven't done that in a long time. My oldest told me she wants subs. Which is a great lunch as the have a sub shop around the corner from dh's work and the prices can't be beat. I'll be bringing my water bottle and pop in a few lemon wedges too. I actually can't wait for lunch.
Now to figure out what to have for dinner. ... actually need to go grocery shopping.

Poppy gave some great advice. I just wanted to add my 2-cents. If you all don't mind.
Yes eating breakfast is detrimental to start your day. It doesn't have to be big and complex either. I like a piece of fruit and a small bowl of Kashi cereal. My coffee too . Or I'd do organic whole grain waffles with some fruit on top and a dallop of whipped cream. ...The key is to enjoy your food, but eat sensible. Don't pour the whole bottle of syrup on that pancake. You don't have to eat cardboard too. Yuck! I know if it doesn't taste good or have a good consistancy I won't eat it... or like it for that matter. I am not saying I need my 1200 calorie breakfast, yet I am not saying I eat way below my alotted calorie range. If my daily average is 1500 .... I do right around that. Not 700 or 3000.

Well back to food talk ... I keep a bottle of water nearby me through out the day. If I get a GOTTA HAVE IT craving, I'll chug some water and then have a porttion of it. Snacks are good. I do a mid-morning and mid-afternoon one. Helps that my kiddos are still young and usually eat then too. A granola bar, fruit, nuts, yogurt are good and simple. But as a treat I do venture out and have a handful of M&M's (or another not your usual snack ). Make sure you only take the handful and keep the bag away from you. I portion things out to. I have a big bowl of my snacks in snack bags on the counter. ... this way I know the portion is already made and that is all I get.
Dinner: like Poppy mentioned. .. eat what the rest of the family eats. Just don't finish the kiddos meals... just because they left a few spoonfuls of that yummy cheese rice doesn't mean I HAVE to finish it.
I tell my kiddos that they should eat until their tummy's tell them I am full. That doesn't mean they have to clear their plate either. Boy did my BIL and IL's get upset with that rule.

If you must have an after dinner snack, make sure it isn't to late into the night. I stop eating by 8. My usual snack lately is a glass of milk or water and a clementine. Satisfying.

Oh and feel free to come on here if you are ever in a rut, need a kick in the butt, need a shoulder to cry on, lean on ...what have you. We are all here to support one another. Right!!

Well I've rambled on long enough, plus my coffee cup is empty... so tata.

Last edited by PearFreak; 01-08-2009 at 09:03 AM.
PearFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:03 AM   #5  
Meredith

S/C/G: 175/160/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey there! I am feeling somewhat better about myself...Thanks for the great advice Valerie! I have all three kids at home today (and a sub teaching my 5th graders) because the boys both got sick at school yesterday, and I was afraid my little girl would get it, so she is not with the sitter. They were probably okay to go back today, because they seem to be quite "up" this morning, but I didn't want to take that chance.

Oh well, oatmeal with raisins and splenda (can't do it plain...yuck) for breakfast, along with some coffee, and I am ready to go! I have a stack of essays to grade, so maybe I will get those done, but then again, maybe I will use today as an excuse to get some laundry done and do the exercise ball workout that I have been trying to find time for all week!

Hope you all have a great day!
meredithann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/226.6/170

Height: 5,8

Goodmorning everyone! I’m feeling pretty well this morning. I think I have been doing better as far as my meals go. I have not decided what eating plan I am going to do yet. I have just been winging it. I ate a little more than I wanted to last night, but I don’t feel like I pigged out.

I am going to have to start planning my meals better. I buy too much junk here at work. I need to pack some snacks for when I am sitting here at my desk. I am getting really hungry about 2:30pm, and the first thing I think about it yummy chocolate from the candy bowl.

I better get to work. There is a project going on right now, and I should look busy.
SapphireBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/237/175

Height: 5'8"

Good Morning Chicksters!

All of you sound upbeat today ~ yeah! January is my not favorite month of the year ~ yucky weather! EXCELLENT advice Valerie and PearFreak!!!! I could not have said it better myself. I lost 21 lbs. last year (and have since put 9 back on...) just by following Valerie's advice. We rarely eat fast food or prepared processed food so that is a good thing. However, the one thing that we still eat way too much of in my household is SUGAR. Everyone likes fruit and we eat a lot of it. But that just doesn't cut it when I want cake or cookies or brownies... sorry, I digress...

We're celebrating Brigid's 6th birthday this weekend! Lauren, aren't your two boys born in January too??? First time ever, I'm actually having the party away from home. I swore that I'd never do this! Party at Chuck e Cheese this time around. I even ordered the cupcakes from the bakery. How lame is that. You can tell that she is #3 LOL. Hope that everyone has a great
day ~ Joan
IrishJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #8  

S/C/G: see signature!

Height: 5'6

You guys just made my week better! The advice is so great, and gives me so much hope! Eating what my husband eats, just in the right portions with no seconds (and maybe adding an extra veggie) is much more doable than 2 meals! Now I just have to go to the grocery store next pay day and make sure to have some good snacks on hand! Thank goodness the holidays are over, you wouldnt believe the stuff people have brought in to work that I couldnt pass up! ARGH!....is it Friday yet BTW? LOL
WVU Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:17 AM   #9  
Diana

Height: 5' 4"

Hey, everyone! Well, I caved just a little last night, but not bad at all. By supper, I'd onlly had 11 points. I made spaghetti for supper. I ate off of a salad plate (the smaller-than-dinner plates), but I ate two plates...the second plate not as full as the first. Then later, I went back for another small bowl. I figured up the points for my spaghetti....for the whole pot, it was 45 points. I figured I probably ate 12 points worth...that'd have been 1/4 of the pot. Surely I didn't eat that much of it, but I guess I could've. Anyway, I could've eaten 15 points worth and been at target.

Okay, I'm rambling now. I use very high fiber noodles, btw. I hope my figures were accurate. I guess the scales won't lie later.

GREAT advice yesterday, guys! Sounds like we're all trying to do things the smart way. We rock!!

I had said I was only gonna weigh once per week....I caved yesterday. Was down 2 lbs, but I'm gonna try to only weigh oncer per week now.....MOndays. I want to make myself do that. I know it'll be a nice surprise and a GREAT way to start my week to see a downward spiral on the scales...if that is, in fact, what happens.

Okay, I'm going to work now......I'm rambling again. Have a GREAT day everyone!!!
GainingWeightInLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #10  
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

Hi everyone,

I think I'm a bit depressed because I'm tired a lot more than I used to be. It's the no-job thing. Like today, I woke up a couple times but felt tired so I ended up sleeping until almost 11am. Things really need to trend upward soon because I've never been unemployed before and I am hating this.

After I apply for some jobs online (do this everyday), I'll shower and head out to the gym I think. Then, I'll try to spend some time in one of the bookstores writing since I haven't been doing that either. The only thing going well is my health. At least something is up.
RangerChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #11  

Shannon ~ You're doing so well right now with your exercise. Being in good health *is* the most important thing! Look at it this way, you've reached a point where you feel off if you don't get exercise in every day. Before you know it you'll have a job *and* because you'll feel so much better physically and mentally because you already have an exercise routine established. Hang in there.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #12  

Obviously, I was distracted when I wrote that last post LOL. That sentence made no sense!
Old 01-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 333/238/150

Height: 5 ft 6 in

hello everyone! today I have a bit of a headache, but things are going MUCH better than yesterday. I did an hour of cardio and some yoga yesterday, so today I will do more cardio and some strength training. I love all of the advice! Somedays I get to the end and I find I have only eaten half of my calories. I have trouble spreading it out evenly, cause I get so caught up doing other things. I'm striving for balance, every day!
amber961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #14  
Moderator - 30 Somethings

Hi guys!! Drive by posting today. I have a gyno appt in an hour and I've got so much to do!! I was very bad today. I had my lunch all planned out and DH comes down and says, "Let's go out." The only option we had was McD because of time constraints. Let's just say that there was no salad in my order! Ugh!!

Off to get my girlie to nap!! Have a great day everyone!
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #15  
Meredith

S/C/G: 175/160/150

Height: 5'4"

Good afternoon! Just had to re-post...

Rangerchic - Sounds like things are not going really well for you...Hang in there! We are all pulling for you. I hope you got out to do something today, because that always helps me when I am down. I am thinking of you!! Keep your chin up!
meredithann is offline   Reply With Quote