Old 11-12-2008, 10:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

Default pugs?

Does anyone have pugs? We are getting a puppy Friday and I was just curious to learn about other people's experience with them.
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:19 PM   #2  
Little Black Dress Bound

S/C/G: 192/181/135

Height: 5'5"

I have two pugs and I just LOVE them. Actually the older one is a miniature pug, so he isn't chubby like pugs usually are. The younger one is normal and is chubby. They both have a lot of energy and very distinct personalities. One of them always wants to play fetch, and is a total priss about going outside. The other one is much more laid back, basically he wants to sleep, cuddle and go outside. They don't require a lot of exercise, and they get tired quickly on walks. Make sure that if its hot out they have a cool place to be, especially since their breathing is slightly limited and heat really bothers them. One thing to be aware of is that they shed a lot, so make sure you brush them to get the excess hair off their top coat. They're also really good with children, and are generally social with new people. But they can also be protective of their owners.

Hope this helped!

Last edited by DRose; 11-15-2008 at 03:20 PM.
DRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:52 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

We have 2 pugs, whom I adore. They are both lying on me right now as I type on my laptop.

DRose said a lot of what I would say, but I will add that pugs were bred to be companions to Chinese royalty, so they LOVE to be around their people.

I also recommend you learn about some of the idiosyncracies of the breed -- in addition to shedding a LOT, and needing to be careful in the heat, there are other issues they face as a breed. They can tend to get infections in their face folds, so those need to be watched. And they are prone to eye problems (such big eyes!). In addition to the heat, they don't tolerate really cold weather either (a lot of this because of their tiny noses).

My experience with puppies is that they are very active until about 2 years old, and then they settle down a lot...

I grew up with big dogs and was not sure I would love pugs, but I simply adore them.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

I also have 2 pugs, they are brothers and are just over 2 years old. One is still very hyper but listens really well and the other is a bit more layed back but is pretty stubborn when it comes to listening.

They do shed a lot but I try to keep up with their brushings and it is not that bad.

Heat and cold does affect them quicker so always keep a close eye on that.

I love to tell them that they are so darn ugly that they are cute because lets admit it, those faces are kinda strange looking lol

I think you are going to love your new puppy and maybe even get a 2nd!
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:35 PM   #5  

Thanks everybody for the comments. I am absolutely in love with her. I wanted a dog that could be around the kids and would be a part of the family and it appears that she is a perfect fit. The cats and our other dog like her too.

I've been doing a lot of reading and it has been so fun learning about it all. We have another dog and did not train her at all and so she is stubborn and independent. I am making sure I do it right this time. Thanks for all of the advice!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:30 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

riley -- so glad to hear it!
BTW, pugs have a bit of a stubborn streak, too. But they LOVE LOVE LOVE food, and that's a great training tool!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:14 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Good luck with your new family member!

When our local shelter had a bunch of puggle puppies from a puppy mill that was shut down, I was so tempted to go get one as pugs/pug mixes are so cute.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 203/196/125

Height: 5ft

I was thrilled to see this post!I have two pugs, one fawn and one black and I adore them!They are so addictive though!
redgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:53 PM   #9  

We are enjoying our pug, Kiwi, so much! I am so happy we decided to get her. She is stubborn though. Potty training is tough.

We did have a scary thing happen to her eye. Our other dog was eating (we now separate them) and Kiwi. like a puppy, ran up to her and the other dog snapped at her. Well, Kiwi's eye popped out. We rushed her to the emergency vet and the eye popped back in. We were really lucky that it didn't do any permanent damage, but the experience seemed to be really painful for Kiwi. It was horrible. I had read that pugs are prone to this, but I never imagined it would happen to us.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #10  

awww!pleased to hear that she is ok now though!Are you a member of pugs.nl?I get loads of good tips etc from there
Old 01-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

riley...wow sorry to hear what happened to your pug. It does occasionally happen...and i will forwarn you..if it happens once in a dog, its more prone to happen again in that dog.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:57 AM   #12  

I've heard that too, it's one of those things with the breed.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5ft7in

i have a rescue pug, a little female! had her for almost 5 years now. her name is guess what? PIXIESUE! Pugs are easy and freindly dogs on the whole, They can be a pain to housetrain cause they can be stubborn but no more so then any other dog and yours may be a sweetie that pottys easily just to see how happy it makes you! They love to snuggle and can be very jealous
Pixiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:10 PM   #14  

Someone told me today that their eyes can just randomly pop out too?? I found that suspicious, but who knows. I really hope it never happens again. It sounded/looked painful. Below I tried to post a picture. I don't know if it will work because I have never posted a picture before in a thread.

[/IMG]
Old 01-05-2009, 11:17 PM   #15  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

we have a pug. he NEEDS constant attention and/or rubbing...lol... he mainly sleeps in my grandpas lap all day. If my grandpa is out and about, he is in here with me, begging me to rub him. He's also a rescue. Took a little bit of time to potty train him, but we rewarded him for going outside and treats were a HUGE motivator. He doesn't shed, but he does get strange breathing spells if he goes outside when it is too hot/cold. He also NEVER barks, we've had him for a while and have only heard him bark twice. He is very loyal. I hope you enjoy your new friend!
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote