Old 12-27-2008, 10:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/188/145

Height: 5'5''

Smile Newbie looking for friends!

Well, what can I say? Long story short... I had lost over thirty pounds and then it hit me -- I was turning 40 and the midlife crisis eating began.
I thought I was OK with the weight gain, until I finally developed my vacation photos and found myself hiding behind my children. In every picture. In fact, in one picture it looks like my daughters' head is a boob rest
Sooooo I have made peace with entering my 40s, and now it is time for me to make peace with my issues with food. And I am not going to lie -- it is going to be tough to break a lifetime habit of turning to food for comfort. And I have proven that I cannot do it alone. I hope that you ladies can show me the way, and hopefully I can help you all out as well.
As for my stats.....I am 40, married for 18 years with four children ages 15/12/07/05. I'm a stay at home mom (at least until the last one goes to school next year, then I don't know what I will do). I tend to dislike sweating and vegetables. But, I dislike my hips even more so maybe that is a wash? I like to read, I love Top Chef and Project Runway, and I really enjoy hearing about others lives.

I can't wait to get to know the rest of you!
backtome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:28 PM   #2  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Hello backtome,

I too am in the 40 range, welcome aboard. You can do this. Best of luck to ya.
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 284/199/160

Height: 5'5"

I too am new here! I love it, welcome & good luck!!
Lynnemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:55 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 252/252/180

I am new here. I have two kids: 14 year daughter with type 1 diabetes and 12 year old son. I am 48 and am a stay at home mom. Food has always been a comforter for me and I tend to eat when stressed. Over the years I have tried to diet with very little success. If I am unable to lose the weight this time, then I will be looking into lapband surgery in the next few months. I really really want to go hiking, rafting, go cart riding, etc... with my kids and husband. I only have a few years before my kids are grown and leave home. Let's encourage each other!
truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Stopping in to say hello to everyone!

This is a great forum and there is so much great information here. Dig in and enjoy the process!
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #6  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

to backtome, Lynnemarie and truffles!!

backtome - Boob rest. As for disliking sweating and vegetables....what about sweaty vegetables? Just kidding...try out the Veggie Challenged forum? I'd venture a guess there are a million kinds of veggies you've never tried. There has to be something you like.

Same story for exercise - I was a card carrying couch potato until I started walking the dog. I've since progressed to moonlighting as a spin instructor. Try different things - if you find something you can 'tolerate' keep at it.

Truffles - My best advice to you is the get the comfort food out of the house as much as possible.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/188/120

Backtome - welcome, you've come to the right place...

Chick in a hat - I just went to my first spin class last Monday, yep, I'm going back tomorrow...who'd thought that a person could sweat so much from cycling...Now, your teaching - truly inspiring!

chunckymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #8  

Thanks for the great welcome, everyone!
I look forward to getting to know each of you, and celebrating our weight loss together.
Thanks for the heads up on the veggie challenge chick in the hat, I will look into it!
Old 12-29-2008, 11:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 252/252/180

What diet are you all using? I have used the South Beach diet in the past and thought it was a good diet. I have considered trying the full bars. Ifound this website while searching for information. Anyways, I need to come up with a plan.
truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #10  

I am doing the old fashioned counting calories method. It worked for me before, and I have found that I need the flexibility that calorie counting gives me as oppossed to a certain plan. Also, when I record what I have been eating it is a huge shock. I realized that over half of my nutrition was fat! And as the saying goes....you are what you eat
I am lowering my calorie intake in stages. Last week I am sure I was eating well above 3000 calories a day, this week I am cutting it down to 1500, and I may go down to 1250.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:04 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 232/226/137

Height: 5'3"

Hi. I am new too, and trying to find a 'place' here, because the whole place is so big! I hope we can encourage and support one another along the way.
catinhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:43 PM   #12  
Tired of Failure

S/C/G: 240/240/160

Height: 5'8"

Default 41 and feeling every year of it

Ugh. Just got back from a one-hour walk. 3 miles and my face is so very, very red. My heart rate was 96 when I got back home, so I guess for a "big-boned" girl of a certain age, that ain't bad. You'll tell me if it is, right?
sstahl1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:55 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstahl1212 View Post
Ugh. Just got back from a one-hour walk. 3 miles and my face is so very, very red. My heart rate was 96 when I got back home, so I guess for a "big-boned" girl of a certain age, that ain't bad. You'll tell me if it is, right?
Congrats on doing it! I know how hard that first step out the door can be. I went to the gym for the first time in almost a year, it took me over two hours to get ready to go, but I am so glad that I went.
It feels kinda nice to be a little sore, doesn't it?
Are you planning on walking tomorrow? I am planning on going to the gym again tomorrow. Should we make a pact?
Old 12-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 204/188/120

I just changed my eating habits to healthy (fast food - oh, how I once loved Wendys) but exercise has been the key for me. Jillian Michaels dvd 30 Day Shred (sold at the Walmart - don't forget to buy hand weights) has been highly recommended (IMHO) from this site. I asked for it for Christmas - got it - and have yet to open the package.

By Friday, I shall have opened, put in dvd - and give ya a review if interested - LOL!

chunckymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #15  
Begin againer

S/C/G: 235.6/221.6/185

Height: 5'7"

backtome, it looks like you've found yourself a slew of friends. I feel part of the pack. Though I'm 44, my boys are 12 and 7 with LOTS of play...and while I don't mind being an "older" mom, I don't want to be the fattest one. I look forward to us progressing together. .
Catinhat~ this place is huge. It seems like anyplace is a welcome one, though!
Chuncky~ I ordered 30 day shred last night. Let me know how it is. My 25th wedding anniversary is next month, and while I'll never make the wedding day size, this one is unacceptable!
forme01 is offline   Reply With Quote