Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Default Good / Badd Resistance Bands

Do any of you fine ladies have recommendations for which brands / models of resistance bands are good, and which to avoid? I don't want to spend the most that I can, but I'd rather invest a little than to buy junk and have to replace it. Probably also a chin up bar. Can you use regular resistance bands to assist pull ups?

At least for now, what I want to be able to do is build some more strength and muscle in my chest and back, and the big muscles of the leg and butt. My arms and calves are already pretty muscular from yoga and running and I guess my natural build too.

I'm not unfamiliar with weight training. Ten years ago or so I was 130 pounds and in great shape because I was weight training. But now I don't belong to a gym, and I have no room for weights (4 people in a 3 bedroom apartment). I'm kind of enjoying a lower key workout schedule this time around , but I want to add some compound work on the big muscles. I want to reach goal in even better shape than I am now.

Thank you!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:04 PM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

This is what I use. I would have no base of comparison to other brands, but I liked how they gave me 3 different weights so I can adjust as needed. I'm happy with them They are very "sturdy".
http://www.amazon.com/GoFit-Ultimate...1088611&sr=8-4
Oh, and they come with a dvd, but I have yet to unwrap it.

Ohhh! And they appear to be on sale

ETA: I have free weights that use, but my resistance bands wear me out. I love them. Normally, exercise equipment I buy doesn't get a whole lot of mileage as opposed to going to the gym, but I use them all the time.

Last edited by junebug41; 01-04-2009 at 12:05 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

And Julie, you might take a look at New Rules of Lifting for Women which is mostly body weight exercises, easily done (or adapted to be done) at home. The bands I have came from my physical therapist, so I have no idea of the brand, sorry......
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #4  

Thank you very much junebug and WaterRat. I will probably order your set, junebug. For that price, how can I go wrong?

Last edited by JulieJ08; 01-04-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:44 PM   #5  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I think I know what bands Water Rat is speaking of. I've had a couple given to me by my physical therapists, but I always forgot about them. They never had handles (you just tied them together) and I found the handles most helpful for me (just seemed easier to vary the workout, maybe?).

As for the pack that I ordered, I really don't use most of that stuff and I pull most of my "moves" off of YouTube and magazines.

Also, the bands can be kind of a pain to change out, but that's only for safety and durability. Enjoy! And report back
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #6  

I just ordered the resistance bands, and tacked on NROLFW to get free shipping Fun stuff.

I went with the free shipping, so it may take a week, but I'll let you know how it goes!

Last edited by JulieJ08; 01-04-2009 at 09:46 PM.