Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 03:05 PM   #1  
A new year, a new start!

S/C/G: 311/219/140

Height: 5'3"

Talking New here.

Hi,
I joined 3fc the other day and just got the chance to really look around and I think this is going to be the forum I will be most comfortable in. My name is Nita, I'm 38 (is that too old for this group??), married and mama to 3 little hellions. Age and mommyhood have done away with most of my alternative looks but the thoughts and beliefs are still very much a part of me. Religion-wise I'm mostly agnostic with Pagan leanings. I'm a crafty mama who loves to turn the old into new so I do a lot of altered object art. I'm here because I need a new start. I had a gastric bypass almost 6 years ago that was a raging success until I became complacent. I had a large amount of upheaval in my life over a couple of years and being an emotional/stress eater, well, that didn't go well & I managed to pack on about 70 lbs. So, here I am. I have the motivation, I just need the support. My husband and children are all lucky enough to not have weight issues and I need someone who understands those 9 pm ohmygodihavetoeatsomethingNOW urges. The fact that you all are "alternative" just sweetens the deal for me! I'm looking forward to becoming a part of your board!
Nita
Old 01-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Hey there Nita!

No one is ever too old to be an Altchick So glad you found 3FC. Keep posting wherever you're comfortable

All the best to you!
Old 01-03-2009, 04:07 PM   #3  
A new year, a new start!

Thank you, Faerie.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

You mentioned having had WLS, there's a WLS area on 3FC too in case you want to pop in there as well.

Is there any sort of plan you're following? Be it a food or exercise plan?
Old 01-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #5  
A new year, a new start!

I kinda peeked in there and it seems to be more of a pre-op support board. I just don't want to go in there and tell my story and make anyone doubt their decision or their ability to succeed, you know?? I would hate to think that I could possibly discourage anyone from doing it, it was definitely the best thing I've ever done for myself.

No plans, I don't really know anything that's out there right now. I've thought about WW but don't have the time nor $$$ for the meetings and all the stuff you have to buy to go with it now. I'm just going to try to get back into my WLS diet, high protein, lots of water and find some exercise that can keep my interest.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #6  
change

S/C/G: 169/ticker/healthy

Height: 5'3" ish?

nita! altered object art is tres cool!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
No plans, I don't really know anything that's out there right now. I've thought about WW but don't have the time nor $$$ for the meetings and all the stuff you have to buy to go with it now. I'm just going to try to get back into my WLS diet, high protein, lots of water and find some exercise that can keep my interest.
I'm a WW member myself. If what you want is some of the materials, you can join for a meeting and you get what you need. Or you can order a kit & track your food online. (There's a WW section under Diet Central in case you're interested in finding out more things in detail.)

If you're trying to find exercises you can check under the Exercise section.

And if there's anything that anyone of us can help you with just let us know!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

Hi Nita

I'm 40, and still an alternachick. The 'alterna' part has changed a bit for me too - gone a bit more underground and hippy-ish, so to speak. My hair is all one colour these days, I only have one piercing in each ear I use, and I have some colours in my wardrobe now! (still won't wear pink or pastels)

I have never done WW, but I know you can figure out their point system and do it on your own (and free). I don't think they work for everyone and they do occasionally foster a dependence on the special diet (some people are unable to maintain when they go off it), but they do make it *much* easier to eat a balanced healthy diet when you're crazy busy and don't have the time or energy to sort it all out yourself.

Since you had great success with the structured diet from a gastric bypass, and you know it, that might be your best bet.

What sort of exercising do you like to do? Are you a gym fan, or do you like the privacy of your home?

BP
Old 01-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #9  
A new year, a new start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
I'm a WW member myself. If what you want is some of the materials, you can join for a meeting and you get what you need. Or you can order a kit & track your food online. (There's a WW section under Diet Central in case you're interested in finding out more things in detail.)

If you're trying to find exercises you can check under the Exercise section.

And if there's anything that anyone of us can help you with just let us know!
I've gone to the website a couple of times but didn't have much luck finding my way around, I usually have one or more children hounding me the second I sit down at the computer. lol I'll have to give it another shot because the little bit that I've learned about the point system seems like it might be something I can work with. Even if I tweak it to fit my life a little more I think it'll be worth trying. I'll go check out the WW section here, thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopeep View Post
Hi Nita

I'm 40, and still an alternachick. The 'alterna' part has changed a bit for me too - gone a bit more underground and hippy-ish, so to speak. My hair is all one colour these days, I only have one piercing in each ear I use, and I have some colours in my wardrobe now! (still won't wear pink or pastels)

I have never done WW, but I know you can figure out their point system and do it on your own (and free). I don't think they work for everyone and they do occasionally foster a dependence on the special diet (some people are unable to maintain when they go off it), but they do make it *much* easier to eat a balanced healthy diet when you're crazy busy and don't have the time or energy to sort it all out yourself.

Since you had great success with the structured diet from a gastric bypass, and you know it, that might be your best bet.

What sort of exercising do you like to do? Are you a gym fan, or do you like the privacy of your home?

BP
Hi BP,

Exercise is not something I've ever been good at, I get bored so quickly. Walking is always good for me because it's more of a relaxation method for me rather than exercise. But when it gets so cold here, I just can't bring myself to bundle up and head out, not so relaxing then. I'm not much of a gym person, first because they're so expensive but also because I feel so ridiculously out of place in them. I always expect someone to come up and ask me to leave because I'm not "cool" enough. Silly, I know.

Nita
Old 01-06-2009, 10:09 PM   #10  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Welcome!
Closed Thread