Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 04:50 PM   #1  

Default Shopping in *regular* clothes stores

I just wanted to tell you about something that I'm going through currently. I am terrified of going into a regular clothing store. I'm 5'10" and I currently weigh 182... I'm only 9 pounds from a normal BMI. I am guessing that I could fit a 12, I tried a 14 on at Fashion Bug Plus but it was too big. I walk past the regular stores but I can't go in because I'm scared that they will look at me and kindly direct me to a plus size store. I have heard of people who when they look in the mirror they see themselves as still overweight but I can see that I am thinner. It's when I get around other people then I believe that they see me as quite a big gal.

I am getting by with wearing my hubby's jeans, my oldest sons old t-shirts and some size 16 shirts that I bought in the early summer. I know that I will need to get some clothing but all I've done so far is get some workout clothes at WalMart.

This getting smaller thing is really weird sometimes. I haven't been smaller than a size 16 since junior high school. This coming week I am going to march my butt into a nice clothing store and if someone looks at me as if they think I must be lost then I just tell them ... well, to be honest I'll probably just act like I'm looking for a gift for someone. I guess during my morning walks I need to think about working on getting some self confidence.

Debbie
295/182/160
Old 08-31-2002, 05:32 PM   #2  
Hang In There

[size=huge]Yoy can do it[/size]

Just march right in there with you head helt high like you've always belonged there. You've worked hard to get to this place inyour life, so lean back and enjoy it

I know I'm thrilled when alvin just goes down a size, I can just imagine how I'll feel if I could buy hime something from a regular store.
Old 08-31-2002, 06:24 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

debbie... here's a news flash: FASHION BUG CLOTHES RUN SMALL!!!!

you will NEVER be able to actually see yourself unless you PRACTICE. that means you have to LOOK at yourself. and you'll need help to do that.

and believe me, i know exactly what you're talking about. i catch sight of myself in a window, and can't figure out where i am!!!! i feel like a vampire, in some respects!

but back to YOU.

here's a thought: make an appointment with a personal shopper at a nice store, like macy's or lord and taylor or rich's or whatever. when you make the appt, a few days before you actually show up, tell her what's happened!!!! throw yourself on her mercy!!!!! give her a spending limit, and she'll line up a whole bunch of clothes for you to try on. privately. with her holding your hand the whole time.

the last time i was thin, i was wearing a size 10. i went to a 'tiny' person's store, and tried on a size LARGE dress, and it was waaayy too baggy. i asked the sales lady to get me a medium, and she insisted that it would be too small... i actually snapped at her.

and when she saw it on me, her jaw hit the floor. it fit like a glove. and when i reached my heaviest, i doubt that i could even have fit one leg into it!!!

so, i guess what i'm saying is basically this: rely on the professionals for help, not the floor sales staff, and certainly not on yourself since you can't really see yourself.

and please PLEASE let us know how it goes... you're so very very close to your goal, and i'm so proud of you...
Old 09-01-2002, 06:40 PM   #4  

Hiya Debbie,

Thanks so much for your kind words about my surgery date! I truly can say that I'm having this surgery to save and prolong my life. I had my consult this week and the surgeon told me I'm carrying the weight of TWO people! The good news is, he said my diabetes should go away, as well as the strain on my heart and joints etc!! Great news, I think! But, like you....I'm excited at the thought of being able to wear smaller, prettier clothes at some point and to NEVER have to shop for plus sizes again!!

Anyway....listen girl.......you've endured a lot to be where you are right now!!! You've got to look just fabulous, too! You need to strut that bod of yours into any store of your choosing and get some proper clothes that show off your new shape!! Okay, now maybe you can't shop in those 5-7-9 stores just yet, but I would wager you could walk into store after store and find clothes that will not only fit you, but look sensational!!! Just be confident and grab a few different sizes and see what looks best on you. You know how each clothes manufacturer cuts their clothes differently . That means you may be able to wear a 16 from one company and a 12 from another. Just go out and have some fun and get rid of those hand-me-downs from your hubby and son!! You're a sexy gal and you need to show off. God Bless...

Just me...Robin
Pre-290
Surgery Date: Dec. 17th, but hopefully sooner!
Closed Thread