Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-02-2009, 04:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Default normal not to be a snacker anymore?

I've noticed something interesting as of late....

In the past, I couldn't live without a snack several times a day (and yes, I'd budget it into my calories for the day). **This is in addition to drinking at least 8 cups of water/herbal tea, etc.**

But... as I get used to eating less, while drinking the same amount of herbal plain tea in this winter cold (anywhere from 8 to 12 cups due to an active on-my-feet job, etc), I find I don't really crave snacks much anymore (which is great, since it allows me more calories for each of my three main meals and a bit more calories for dessert )

*Once in a while, I have a snack, but as of this evening I've gone several weeks without snacking in-between meals.*

Is this a normal reaction when losing weight? I've overeaten for so many years, I'm literally now learning (in baby steps) how normal people eat

~ tea

Last edited by teawithsunshine; 01-02-2009 at 04:38 AM.
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I've had the opposite reaction -- part of my plan was to add snacks in so I don't get overly hungry. I rely -- and may OVER rely on those snacks. I think they are part of why I gained a bunch of weight back this year. It wasn't from binging, but 1 or 2 extra small snacks a day.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

If my meals and snacks are too close to the same size, then I feel like I have to have the snack. If my meals are bigger, I often don't feel hungry and may skip a snack. But I think it's true that some folks can get used to eating less per meal or snack.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 01-02-2009 at 09:02 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I think our bodies will tend to gravitate toward a plan that is right for our particular body chemistry and make up. For me, thats more regular snacking. Others gravitate away from snacks and toward bigger meals. There is no "right" or "wrong" way with this, so if you're satisfied, keep doing what you're doing.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

It's normal. Everyone is different. I'm kinda moving toward less snacks too.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:33 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I think the problems start when you take a natural inclination (less/more snacks, whatever) and start trying to change it based on what you "should" do...as in forcing yourself to eat more/fewer snacks at early/late times of day because x or y expert told you that that's what one "does".
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Yup .. in the last few months I've found that I don't really need or want my morning snack. Now I either push those calories towards lunch or even an evening snack. It just works better with my schedule.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 216/214/165 WI day Monday

Height: 5'9"

Sure, I can see that. I go through phases where I need my snacks and then phases where I forget about them completely. I think as long as you are eating enough calories and your body is still moving towards where you want to be it's okay. However, if you start to stagnate in losing it could be because your metabolism is slowing down. I know snacks keep things moving for me.
Thinnerinnerme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #9  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

I've nearly cut out snacking too and I used to be all about snacking! My new job makes it difficult to snack so it kind of forced me into a 3 meals only mentality.

I did kind of wonder if I'm doing things wrong, because at least in American diet culture, the mini-meals seem to be hailed as king. Mini-meals or planned snacking works for me for about 3 days and then the portions get bigger and bigger. I found I had a harder time keeping my regular meal calories and portions down and then my calories got jacked up even more with the snacks I HAD to have.
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:19 PM   #10  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I'm the opposite. I find that I depend on my snacks more than ever. I find eating a lot at any one time is uncomfortable for me, so keeping my meals smaller and snacking more often seems to work best.

The only exception to this is if I eat out. Usually my meal is higher in fat content than my normal meals, and I seem to stay fuller, longer - even eating a small quantity. Thus, when I am traveling, I don't snack as often.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote