Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Default Cool Runners -- January Thread!

I hope it's OK if I start this! Second day into the New Year, and I need a place to post

So, what are your running goals for 2009?

I finally had a real run again this morning . 3 miles. I came down sick last Friday, and hadn't exercised except walking 30 minutes on Tuesday and jogging 1.5 miles Wednesday.

I'm excited about the New Year of running. Currently I run 3 miles M-W-F:

My goals are to work up to 5 miles; and maybe even 10 on a long day, by 1/1/2010. Improve my pace from 12:20 to ... I don't know what's reasonable to expect, but at least 10:00 I hope. I'd also like to add a 4th day of running. Baby steps! Oh, and run my first official 5K (and run as many of EZ's 5Ks as he'll throw at us ) I'm really liking marking all the big holidays with a run.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I was starting to get myself worked up to a half marathon, but I just can't run far on a treadmill! (and I'm not crazy enough to go in the snow....)

So.....my goal is a half marathon. My SIL does the jog five min/walk one min any longer distances, so I might try that method too.

My original pace was close to 12 min miles, and I'm down to mostly 10 min miles! Maybe I can try to maintain that with the distance...
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

Completing a half marathon is my goal too. I'm nervous about races and have yet to do any. I have this fear that I'll train hard get injured and won't be able to run thus crushing any resolve for future attempts. I've had my fair share of running injuries. However, I've decided that if the worst happens and I get injured I'll show up anyway and cheer on the other racers.

I did 6.7 miles today, the weather was great. I find that 30-35 deg F is my preferred winter running temp range.

Last edited by JackieRn; 01-02-2009 at 03:54 PM.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #4  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Hello ladies! I used to post on this thread, but it's been a while. I've been jogging 2-3 miles a few days a week, but I need to kick it up a notch. I've got a 12K I want to do this summer, that has some killer hills, and I haven't done hills at all, except jogging/pushing the scooter up hills when I run my dogs. I also need to up my pace if I don't want every walker in the 12K to kick my butt, lol. I don't have a concrete plan yet.

My first priority is to get some pants or tights that are good for running in cold weather. We're in the freezy teens to 30s (F) temp zone right now, and I need something warmer than what I have. Anybody have suggestions for winter running wear, especially pants or running tights?

Anyway, just wanted to re-intro myself.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsk8r View Post
Hello ladies! I used to post on this thread, but it's been a while. I've been jogging 2-3 miles a few days a week, but I need to kick it up a notch. I've got a 12K I want to do this summer, that has some killer hills, and I haven't done hills at all, except jogging/pushing the scooter up hills when I run my dogs. I also need to up my pace if I don't want every walker in the 12K to kick my butt, lol. I don't have a concrete plan yet.

My first priority is to get some pants or tights that are good for running in cold weather. We're in the freezy teens to 30s (F) temp zone right now, and I need something warmer than what I have. Anybody have suggestions for winter running wear, especially pants or running tights?

Anyway, just wanted to re-intro myself.
Hi

I got my running tights, gloves, at my local running store they are HIND brand, my tops are Brooks it all works pretty well. I also wear under armour on teen temp days and a Balaclava. Also make sure you also get the proper running socks, kinda expensive but save you on blisters and keep you warmer. A local running store close by is worth checking out b/c the staff is usually pretty knowledgeable on appropriate gear.

Last edited by JackieRn; 01-03-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:05 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/183.2/130

Height: 5'5"

A good friend "made me" sign-up for a 5.3k race on March 15th (I know, 5.3 looks strange, but it's the St. Patrick's Dash, it can't be a "pure" 5k). So we're starting tomorrow. My pace and endurance are horrible - 2 miles in 22 min... - but I'll see in a month what should be my goal for March... Maybe something under 40 min. I haven't run since June, and I'll also need to start dieting, as my "best bet" in trying to improve my pace and endurance is losing some weight.
I hope all of us will do well with their goals
RaluCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:28 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaluCat View Post
A good friend "made me" sign-up for a 5.3k race on March 15th (I know, 5.3 looks strange, but it's the St. Patrick's Dash, it can't be a "pure" 5k). So we're starting tomorrow. My pace and endurance are horrible - 2 miles in 22 min... - but I'll see in a month what should be my goal for March... Maybe something under 40 min. I haven't run since June, and I'll also need to start dieting, as my "best bet" in trying to improve my pace and endurance is losing some weight.
I hope all of us will do well with their goals
Your pace is not horrible that is an awesome starting place and there is time for you to improve. I started out a lot slower than that and have seen a lot of improvement with consistent training. Good Luck.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #8  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Jackie, thanks. I will check out the Hind brand and also the running store when I go shopping for the pants.

Ralu, my sister, nephew and I ran that one last year, if you mean the one in Seattle. Just to warn you, they have no drinking water along the route, so you'll need to carry your own. I'd also recommend just carrying a fanny pack, a banana and maybe a granola bar or sandwich, because the free food at the end was mostly chips and junk, but the starbucks sampler was nice! Be sure to wear your green, and some funky costume accessories...everybody does, and it's fun that way. I'm skipping that one this year, since I live in Tacoma, but I'm going to hit some local 5Ks, then the Sound to Narrows 12K this summer. Hope you enjoy your 5K!

I ran a mile yesterday, or two halves, rather, as part of my crossfit workout. I'm keeping the runs short for now, till I get some warmer clothes and can take it outdoors.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 198/183.2/130

Height: 5'5"

Jackie, Cheryl, thank you for the support and the good advice.
Cheryl, thanks for letting me know about the water. Drinking while running is very important for me, so I'll practice running with a small bottle (I did that before for short distances).
Jackie, what disappoints me most about my pace is that I got to 2 miles in 22 min pretty quickly - less than 6 weeks - but then I got stuck there for more that 2 months, and that combined with a new busy job led me to giving up running in June... So my pace is mostly horrible because it just STAYS THERE. Just running isn't enough for me, I also have to lose weight to get better times.
RaluCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #10  

Quote:
Jackie, what disappoints me most about my pace is that I got to 2 miles in 22 min pretty quickly - less than 6 weeks - but then I got stuck there for more that 2 months, and that combined with a new busy job led me to giving up running in June... So my pace is mostly horrible because it just STAYS THERE. Just running isn't enough for me, I also have to lose weight to get better times.
RaluCat, have you tried running any intervals? That improved my pace pretty quickly, and I was only doing very moderate intervals.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Jamsk8r - go to sierratradingpost.com, make sure you sign up for their dealflyer. Between them and Ross, I bought all my exercise clothes there.

I ran outside yesterday (WoooOOO!), it was 32 degrees. Started off with gloves, took them off eventually. Had on long pants, a jogging top, long sleeve shirt, then my (thin) jacket. All my clothes are wicking, I can't stand cotton anymore. I was a bit warm by then end of the run (6 miles), but not bad. (I was surprised how much I liked it in the cold!!).

Anyhoo, sierra is AWESOME. I've bought a bunch of short sleeve hinds, for CHEAP. Running shorts too, all good quality. The comments are beyond valuable.

Good luck!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:29 AM   #12  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Hi! I'm trying to catch up after the holidays ... I got a little running in, but not nearly enough to burn off all of the pie!! (and cookies, and Christmas candy, and ahem, adult beverages)

My goals this year are to maintain my running training program, which seems to be working pretty well. I'd like to break 2 hours in a half marathon, and break 26 minutes in a 5K. My ultimate dream goal is to do a 5K at an under-8 minute pace (under 24:48), but I don't know if that is even possible. But, who knows? I'll keep trying!

RaluCat -- an 11 min/mile pace is NOT horrible!! There are lots of people who do whole marathons at 12 min/mile or slower. You burn just as many calories going that mile, whether you do it at 12 min/mile, or 9 min/mile. It just takes a little longer, that's all. What helped me get faster involved a combination of factors: losing weight, going longer distances, strength training, and doing speed intervals. All of those things together helped, but it does take time and consistent effort. Improvement often isn't linear either ... you seem to plateau for a long time, and then all of a sudden - poof! - you're faster. I can't explain it, but that's how it works for me. And even now, I have my days when I struggle, and days when everything just clicks and feels wonderful. I think that's just how it is.

Happy running!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:41 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
I hope it's OK if I start this! Second day into the New Year, and I need a place to post

So, what are your running goals for 2009?

I am training to run a 5k doing the Couch to 5K program. The program goes a little faster than I can so I am repeating week 2 this week. I will be participating in a 5k on the 17th. My goal this year is to actually be able to run a whole 5K
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:40 AM   #14  

Quote:
Jackie, Cheryl, thank you for the support and the good advice.
Cheryl, thanks for letting me know about the water. Drinking while running is very important for me, so I'll practice running with a small bottle (I did that before for short distances).
Your busy life makes your pace look even better. Considering that this is a lifestyle change 2 months is a very short time, you have the rest of your life to lose those extra pounds and increase your speed. I really think you are going to do well b/c you're at a very good pace right now and seem very aware what you need to improve your performance. Good for you.

MBN: I have the same goal of a sub 8 min/mil pace for a 5k, I have to believe its possible. I'm hoping as the weather improves and I stay consistent with hill workouts and speed work that by the fall, I'll achieve this goal. I hope you reach your goal.

Last edited by JackieRn; 01-05-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:27 AM   #15  

3 miles. Ah, my poor fingertips - I forgot my gloves.

Had a first today - on my return half, say 5:45 am, there was a very strong aroma of someone baking brownies! Crazy