Old 12-30-2008, 09:53 PM   #1  
Magic Girdle Not Included

S/C/G: 180/ticker/127

Height: 5'5"

Default How did your no-sugar holidays go?

Man it is stressful making it through the holidays with all those cookies and candies being thrown at you every two seconds. Literally--my mom knows the changes I've made, supports them fully, and STILL filled my stocking with Christmas Candy! Because it's 'tradition'.

I made it through with an occasional spoonful of no-sugar-added peanut butter and the odd chocolate shaving--no real harm done--but damn.

Are you guys succumbing to 'tradition'? Keeping strong? Being crafty with alternatives? I'd love to hear about it.
Hippolyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:25 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

This is my 5th Christmas on Atkins & I have to say, I feel much better not eating all those "traditional" things.

Since my family is italian, Christmas dinner usually consists of pasta served with garlic bread. I, however, have ham & a nice big salad When all the desserts come out (including italian cannoli)...I have a cup of sugar cookie or gingerbread spice tea with some heavy cream The Sunday after Christmas, my Mom made a crustless pumpkin pie...mmmm, soooo good!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:19 AM   #3  
Magic Girdle Not Included

S/C/G: 180/ticker/127

Thumbs up

Wow! That sounds delicious. Gives me definite hope about next Christmas and the one after that and the one after that! What's in that crustless pie? because it sounds delicious.

As it turned out, I ended up cooking, so I made steak and mushrooms, mashed potatoes, sauteed sprouts, and a big salad and avoided the mashed like the plague! Dessert wise a little whipped cream mixed with cinnamon also helped me have something to pick at while everyone was going for the tart so I didn't feel left out.
Hippolyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:47 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Crustless Pumpkin Pie Recipe

CRUSTLESS PUMPKIN PIE
15 ounce can pumpkin
2 eggs
1/2 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1/4 cup caramel or vanilla sugar free syrup
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup water or 1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt (see my comment below)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves

Mix all of the ingredients in a medium bowl; beat well with an electric mixer. Pour into a buttered 9-inch pie plate. Bake at 350º 45-55 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack, then chill well before serving. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.

Makes 8 servings
Freezing not recommended

With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 120 Calories; 10g Fat; 3g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 114 Calories; 10g Fat; 3g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

This is pretty close to the Libby's pumpkin pie filling recipe. I think I will use more cream instead of the 1/4 cup water next time. The carbs per serving would still be the same. I thought this had a bit of a salty taste with the 1/2 teaspoon called for, but the amount of salt is what every pumpkin pie recipe I've seen calls for. I will cut it down to 1/4 teaspoon next time.

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 12-31-2008 at 07:54 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:48 AM   #5  

The pumpkin pie has been copy pasted.

I fell......big time. I've climbed back aboard, sent all treats home with the children and the house is now bare and ready to get me back on line as of yesterday.

We had good regular food........but I made chocolate thingies for the children and didn't manage to keep my fingers off. I gained 4 lbs......should be easy to remove it if I behave myself now.
Timlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #6  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

I did very well considering there was alot of hidden sugar in our christmas dinner that I didnt know about. It took another 3 days after the 25th to get the crazy sugar feelings out of my system! (I didnt do the cooking this year)

No candies, pastries, breads, or stocking goodies....Im very proud of making it thru both christmas and new years successfully
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #7  
Cie
Maintainer

S/C/G: 240/129/130

Smile

I did well over the holidays but had dim sum with friends and gained a couple . Having a light eating day today as a result.
Cie is offline   Reply With Quote