Old 01-01-2009, 11:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 309/309/220

Height: 5'2"

Default Food on the road?

Does anyone have any ideas besides tuna/chicken salad that I can take on the road with me? I work in home health so I need some ideas for stuff that can be kept in a cooler and eaten cold (as there is no microwave in my car....LOL) and I'm tired of tuna salad and chicken salad. I prefer stuff I can eat with my hands and I've gotten pretty good with stuff I can eat with a spoon (while driving....I know, I'm bad) but I can't really eat with a fork and drive. Most days I don't have time or don't take the time to actually stop and eat. Any ideas? Low carb, Atkins friendly type ideas please. Thanks.
mandi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:06 AM   #2  
Age Quod Agis

S/C/G: 184/177/134

Height: 5'5.5''

egg salad
deviled eggs
grilled chicken breast strips
string cheese
cucumber sticks

and if you are on OWL, the possibilities are endless...

furthermore, 90% of things you eat with a fork can be eaten with a spoon

Sorry that's all I can think of... but not to worry, the experts will soon come to the rescue.

Good luck!!
sweetshauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Hard Boiled Eggs
Cheddar Cheese Cubes
Green Bean "Fries"
Crispy Cheese Crackers
Pepperoni Chips
Fruitless Fruit Leather
Skillet Pizza

If you're willing to prepare things ahead...there are lots of possibilities
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #4  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

ohhhh, cooked green beans with a fresh lemon, olive oil, dash of salt, and fresh smooshed garglic dressing. FANTASTIC cold.
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:45 AM   #5  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

Crap, I didn't notice this was in the atkins forum... Sorry if that doesn't follow your diet rules... lol
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:54 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 309/309/220

Height: 5'2"

Thanks gals. Hey Kim, what is Fruitless Fruit Leather?
mandi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:59 AM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Fruitless Fruit Leather:

SOOBEE'S FRUITLESS FRUIT LEATHER
1/2 cup cool tap water
3/4 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1 packet unsweetened Kool-Aid mix, any flavor
5 packets unflavored gelatin

In an 8x8" glass baking dish, mix the water, Splenda and Kool-Aid powder well. Sprinkle the gelatin evenly over the water then stir in. It will be a bit lumpy and not completely blended. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute; stir well. Microwave another minute; stir well. Microwave 30 seconds more and stir. Scrape out onto a 9x13" baking sheet that is lined with nonstick foil (you could also use a silicone baking sheet for this but a nonstick surface it very important). Cool at room temperature 30 minutes. Cut into strips and peel off the foil. Let dry overnight if possible.

I cut mine into 8 pieces going the length of the pan and 2 pieces across the short side to make 16 strips. After they have dried, you can roll them up like little fruit roll-ups and store them in the freezer or refrigerator.

Makes about 8 servings of 2 strips each

With granular Splenda:
Per Batch: 196 Calories; 0g Fat; 30g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 18g Net Carbs
Per Serving: 25 Calories; 0g Fat; 4g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Batch: 124 Calories; 0g Fat; 30g Protein; trace Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; trace Net Carbs
Per Serving: 16 Calories; 0g Fat; 4g Protein; trace Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; trace Net Carbs

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote