Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 01-01-2009, 11:17 PM   #1  
My name is Michelle

S/C/G: 200/190/145

Height: 5'5"

Question This isn't really a 'plan' or whatever, but does it work?

I was just curious to see how many people here aren't on an official 'plan' (sorry, not sure what really to call it?) and that are just trying to change things on their own without joining something like WW or SB? Not knocking those programs at all - just that I don't really have the resources at the moment to do something like that.

For instance, I've been keeping a food journal - does anyone else do something similar and does it work for you?

It seems to help keep me on track because I found that when I first started keeping track (written track) I was amazed at how much crap I was ingesting and I was really shocked at how many calories I was taking in daily.

I wasn't really eating a large quantity of food, but the food I was eating was complex carbs and high in calories - so in my mind I couldn't understand WHY in the world I kept gaining weight when I wasn't even eating that much quantity-wise. For instance, it was nothing for me to eat some toast and coffee for breakfast, a salad with crackers at lunch and then something very small for dinner or sometimes I'd just skip dinner for myself altogether (not smart I know) and yet the pounds just kept coming.

Has anyone else started or used a food journal and did it work for you .... and are there any suggestions that may help me stay on track with this without having to join an official weight-group?

Thanks.
TheMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

There are many of us who are on a "no plan" type of plan. Things that involve counting calories or exchanges, eating clean, giving up junk food, some combination of all of those things.

Check out the calorie counters board for one source for people who are doing their own thing w/out a plan.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

You'll find that many forums on this site have some version of a Daily Accountability Thread in which people post their daily food, in whatever level of detail suits them. I did that for many months when I first joined in April (I happened to use the Wholefoods Forum). It is a really, really great way to go. You think twice before your food choices, because you know you're going to post it later. You get great ideas from each other. It just keeps it all very real. Go for it. If you like some particular forum (there's lots, like 30-Somethings, Wholefoods, Vegetarians, Faith-Based, Calorie-Counters, and so on), and they don't have one, start one!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:26 PM   #4  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

it's worked for me so far. I just count my calories (i have a cool iphone app that helps me with that). I tried the fat smash diet (and by try i mean like 2 days and then i succumbed). Im sure those plans work for other people because I see a lot of ppl on plans that have lost weight, but I've lost weight just by tracking my food. hope that helps
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:00 AM   #5  
katiejames

S/C/G: 265/186/165

Height: 5'6

i never joined weight watchers but i got my mitts on one of their member only books and this was a few years ago. i looked it over and i decided to do a lil of that and a lil of my own and i lost 40lbs in less than 3 months. ( i didnt exercise either) i also did keep a journal of sorts.. i do my menu plan which allots me the food for the day... if i go over i make sure that i write that on the menu plan
katiejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:06 AM   #6  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

My no plan plan, isn't at all a plan. I just started eating less. On the normal day (almost every day) I don't eat any fast food, any junk food, any candy or sweets. I don't eat when I'm bored, only when I'm hungry. I ALWAYS have breakfast. I generally eat at the same time every day (it's been a bit messed up because I didn't figure out how to stay on "plan" when I'm not going to school, school kind of keeps my schedule going.

I let myself have the piece of pie, or the couple of chips if I REALLY want it (which was only twice in three months). I guess my plan is just doing what's best for me!

I will most likely have to start planning my no plan diet soon though, to keep the progress going. I'm only starting out, so I assume it's just easy because I haven't been active in like, ever, and I've never eaten this healthy.
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:54 AM   #7  
Empress/Queen

I was on 3FC for a long time under another user name and talked about it more then, but I have lost more than 100 pounds and kept it off for years just by basically counting calories and exercising.

During that time also, I have kept self interested by doing a number of "plans" on the side or as intervals, including the Sugar Busters "plan," South Beach, Beck and WW online. The WW is the only one I have paid money for other than buying books. I buy a lot of "diet" books for my own amusement and to give me ideas, but I don't slavishly follow anyone else's way of doing things.

Anyone contemplating losing major weight really should talk to their doctor, though, to make sure there are not any hidden health issues. That costs money; however, just to cut back on cals, eat healthy and move more doesn't really require medical clearance so that's a great way to go.

It's kind of like the years I did personal trainers. I've had a zillion and they were all good, but then one day I woke up and realized I knew more about exercise and nutrition than some of them and truly, I didn't need a guru.

Doing it my way works, so that's what I do.

Best of luck, sounds like you have a great "plan" already.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #8  
Ashley

S/C/G: 175/ticker/140

Height: 5'7

I just count my calories and wrkout 5-7x's a wk. I have a food journal and don't eat past 7 pm.
jmfan317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

I lost my weight without a formal plan. I calorie counted, ate more "whole foods", cut out most of the junk, began doing cardio 5 to 6 days a week and resistance training 3 days a week. Worked for me...
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have tried all the diet plans, you name it I've done it. I decided I am not going to pay someone to tell me what to eat, anymore. I count calories, and keep a food diary. I plan all meals ahead of time. I know in the morning what I am going to eat the rest of the day.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:47 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

No plan that I have purchased...I educated myself with countless websites and then adjusted my life accordingly..I keep a journal daily..I exercise daily..and I eat as many whole foods as I can...

"MY" plan is constantly being tweaked as I learn from others..I am constantly looking for a better way of doing things, improving my nutrition, exercise or whatever..
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote