South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Phase I Chickies Thread

If you are starting or continuing Phase I, please post your questions, menus and comments in this thread. That way we can all help each other.

Experienced Beachers and the MODs do pop in here and you'll get lots of support.

You will also be advised over and over to "Read the Book!" and "Check out the Stickies in the FAQ Section."
Old 01-01-2009, 12:56 PM   #2  

Height: 5'3"

I thought I would dive in and try South Beach starting today. I made the decision last night as am getting bored and irritated with Calorie Counting. I was thinking of going back to Atkins but SB seems much healthier.

I don't have the book but I have read and collected enough info from this site (and others) to get me started today and surprisingly I have all the needed food items in my house (except for beans and nuts) which I can get tomorrow when I go to pick up the book at a used bookstore. I saw it there a couple of weeks ago and I hope it is still there.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:26 PM   #3  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

today is my first day so will post menu later
--------Merge ------------------
anyone know if i can use salad spritzers on my salads i really don't want salad dressing and it is much lighter taste
Old 01-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome, Canadianwoman. I'm not sure where you are here in the Great White North but it's sure cold here. Yes, South BEach is more sustainable than Atkins, IMHO, although there are those who will argue the point. There's lots of info in our FAQ but the book will certainly help with understanding the concepts.

Melife, check out the ingredients in the spritzers and let us know. If the sugar grams are within the guidelines (see FAQ), they will be fine.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 206/206/155

Height: 5'8"

Default New to SB

Hi everyone. I have been a lurker for quite a while on 3FC but am new to SB. I start tomorrow and am very excited. I am a single mom of 2, am a part time legal secretary, full time college student and am engaged to a wonderful guy. We are going to do this together. I went shopping today to get salad stuff, frozen veggies, a bag of chicken tenders which I am baking right now with seasonings, and SB approved salad dressings, cottage and ricotta cheeses. I had gastric bypass surgery almost 3 years ago and lost 110 lbs but have gained back about 40 lbs or so. I am hoping to give and get lots of great support.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/135

Hi all,
This is day 3 for me on Phase 1. I must say, today I am not really looking forward to eating more protein and veggies.

My Meal plan today:
Breakfast - Eggs and Turkey Ham
Snack - Green olives
Lunch - Big salad w/ cucumber, parmesan cheese, artifical crab, chick peas, and olives and sugar free jello with whipped cream.
Snack - Not sure yet (perhaps hummas and veggies)
Dinner - Chicken breast and aspargus
Desert - No Surgar added Fudgesicle

I am struggling a little bit, because most of the veggies that I like are not allowed (ie carrots and corn).

Do any of you veterns have suggestions to help make it through phase 1?

Thanks,
Jen
Old 01-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 175/156.6/128

jbaby- I noticed that you don't have any dairy listed for today. It's important. As far as veggies, I just had to force myself for the first little while and then it became a habit and then I started to like it. I really love roasted veggies. There are recipes in the recipe section on how to do this. My favorite is roasted green beans. You might also try drinking V8 to increase your veggie intake. Personally I think V8 is disgusting, but many others like it. Soup is another good way to get in veggies and there are lots of recipes in the recipe section.

HTH!
Old 01-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #8  
New BodyBugger!

S/C/G: 317/ticker/175

Height: 5' 9"

TOday is day 1 of phase 1. Some good friends in the 20 somethings helped me realize that I am feeling the effects of the SB flu. I feel like crap. But, I know it will only last a short while so I am prepared for the feel good time after.

Today's menu:

B- 2 eggs, 2 slices of turkey bacon, 2 slices of cheese, and 6 oz of legal V8
S- Missed it
L- a slice each of turkey and ham, fresh broccoli and gp with ranch
S- ff yogurt w/ SF strawberry jello packet
D- Chili with cheese
S- SF fudgesicle

How does my menu look so far?
Old 01-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #9  
One meal at a time!

S/C/G: 198/185/130

Height: 5' 2"

I'll be starting tomorrow. I'll be weighing in the morning and updating my ticker. I'm trying to make this as simple as possible this time. I tend to make everything more difficult than it is. Can everyone posts some of their lunch ideas besides salad. I like salads but can get tired of them pretty quick. I take all my food for the day to work with me. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:53 PM   #10  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Heather- I had the worst case of SB flu when I started! I was getting light headed mid-morning, feeling like crud. It's really important to include regular servings of dairy and beans, especially in the beginning. It will help alleviate those symptoms and give you more energy. When I added refried beans to breakfast and yogurt or rf cheese and hummus to my snack list I did much better.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #11  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

I'm on day 5 and am feeling surprizingly great! I've read the book and the FAQ section. Where did the 'updates' come from? In the book, it says 'beans' for Phase 1. In Phase 2 of the book, it says, "Gradually add pinto beans". Which beans are legal for phase 1? I'm having blackeyes with dinner, because I HAVE to for New Years Day.

Today's menu:
B -- 2 egg omlet with ham, cheese, mushrooms and onion.
L -- Blackbean chili - YUM!
S -- Pecans
D -- Pork loin roast, mustard greens and blackeyed peas
S -- Jello Pudding

Sound good?
Old 01-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Welcome, Canadianwoman. I'm not sure where you are here in the Great White North but it's sure cold here.
Just west of the western tip of Lake Ontario. It is quite cold here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Yes, South BEach is more sustainable than Atkins
And a lot less fatty which is the main reason why I am starting it. It was written by a Cardiologist for his heart patients and I am a heart attack survivor.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #13  

Hi everyone! I plan on starting P1 tomorrow. I went shopping today and I have all of the SBD appropriate foods in my house. I will weigh myself and tkae measurements to have a starting point.

Chelby- You can have a variety of beans. Here is a list:

BEANS/LEGUMES

(Start with 1/3 - 1/2 cup serving)
Adzuki Beans
Black Beans
Black-eyed peas
Broad Beans
Butter Beans
Cannellini Beans
Chickpeas or Garbanzo
Edamame
Great Northern Beans
Italian Beans
Kidney Beans
Lentils
Lima Beans
Mung Beans
Navy Beans
Pigeon Peas
Pinto Beans
Refried beans fat free canned - Added
Soy Beans (also known as edamame)
Split Peas
White Beans
Old 01-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #14  
Hittin' the Beach

S/C/G: 225/212/130

Height: 5'0"

I haven't had the SB flu this time and it worries me that I might be having too much of something but I have been even more strict at reading labels this time so I don't think I am doing anything wrong. I will post a few menus.

Also does anyone have an ingredient listing for M&M Meatshop turkey sausage?

I am on day 4.
B: eggs with back bacon (I get a ton of veggies throughout the day so I don't eat a ton if any at breakfast OR omelet with veggies
Sn1: broccoli/cauliflower/snap peas with a sour cream dip OR nuts
L: Spinach salad with peppers, green onion, cucumber, chicken (or beans), walnuts and a small amount of feta cheese. Oil and vinegar dressing.
Sn2: cottage cheese/veg OR turkey roll ups
S: Baked chicken with roasted veggies-cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, green beans, onion, brussel sprouts OR turkey sausage with salsa and veggies
Sn3: had the ricotta creme once but haven't been that hungry. Had sf jello another time.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #15  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

my menu

b-frozen mixed veggies, mushrooms and eggs all fried together (don't know what to call it but it was good)
s-almonds
l-large salad w/ ham and l/f shredded cheese on
s-v8 and light string cheese
d-bean soup
Closed Thread