Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-24-2008, 10:34 PM   #1  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

Default Lower leg pain question

Walking is my primary exercise. I've recently noticed painful muscle twinges on the inside of my lower right leg at times other than when I'm walking. I wonder if maybe I need to replace my shoes or if something else is wrong?
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:41 AM   #2  
Rising from the ashes....

Height: 5'5"

Hi Ufi,

I would talk it over with your doctor if it doesn't resolve soon or worsens.

Deb
OnTargetforLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I'll tell ya...I jog about 3.5 miles at a time...I didn't think this was a big deal and since I wasn't really a "runner" I didn't need running shoes. I got the same kind of pains, they would come on just sitting at my desk. They were sort of like...on the side of my calf if that's possible. I went and bought some real "running" shoes and the difference is night and day. My legs haven't hurt since!

Go to a good althletic store where they put you on the treadmill and watch your feet in different shoes. They will show you how much stability you need etc. etc. Particularly if you are walking outdoors on sidewalks. Concrete is hard...and hard on the legs and feet.
So even if you don't feel like a "race walker" totally invest in some proper walking shoes. You'll be amazed at how good they feel.

Also, a visit to the doctor's ain't a bad idea. If it really hurts, a $20 copay to make sure you don't have a tendon, ligament or stress fracture problem seems well worth it!
nods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #4  
Ufi
Persistence

That sounds exactly like what I have. It doesn't hurt all the time. Days can go by, and I'm fine. Then, unexpectedly, I'll be sitting there and it's like my muscle gives a little sprong! It doesn't hurt when I walk. I come home a bit tired, as I'm doing between 3 and 7 miles when I walk, depending on the route. I don't really think of myself as a particularly athletic person, so expensive shoes haven't really appealed to me. But I thought it might be the shoes when I couldn't remember when last I replaced them. I usually think to do it when the bottom splits or wears away. I'll try some new shoes and see what happens.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 365/270/160

Height: 5"11'

I just wanted to give my two cents as well. For about the first 3 weeks of my going to the gym I would get very serious temporary pains. Almost like a charlie horse that I had to stretch out. I went to the doctor and he said I wasn't doing enough stretching before my workout. Sometimes certain muscles that aren't in use literally go into 'hibernation' ...Course this was only my experience. Hope the pain stops for you soon!
TheTinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:20 AM   #6  
Ufi
Persistence

It's only walking, though. Would I need to stretch for walking? I mean, it's something you do all the time, only I'm just doing more of it.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 365/270/160

Height: 5"11'

I do personally...my legs developed oddly and I have to stretch every morning regardless ...I suppose everyone is different.
TheTinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:59 PM   #8  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

google intermittent claudication and see if that sounds like what you may be experiencing.
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:49 AM   #9  
Ufi
Persistence

I Googled it, but that isn't it.

The good news is, I have new shoes, and I haven't had any more leg pain. I'll have to keep track of how many miles my shoes have on them now. And maybe start stretching.