Old 09-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #1  
Fat-be-gone

Default Cat Urine Odor Remover

Help!! My cat peed in our closet. I need to know what is the best product out there to get the odor out (before my MIL discovers it and we become homeless). My boyfriend cleaned the surface of the carpet, but I'm afraid some urine must of seeped into the padding because it still stinks. I'm looking at the Get Serious brand right now at PetSmart.

Any suggestions?? TIA!!!
Rosario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #2  
Workin' It

Nature's Miracle - they sell it at Petco, Petsmart, etc. They have a version specifically for cat smells.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I second the Nature's Miracle! It's the only thing that kept out house odorless when our Dog was a pup.

It's also great to use as a pretreatment for clothing on other types of organic stains.

Last edited by zenor77; 09-23-2008 at 05:18 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 183/130/115

Height: 5'0"

My cat peed in my car when we were evacuating for a hurricane not long ago. I used odoban from wal mart and it worked. Someone else also recommended vinegar, but I'm not sure about that. Those cat smells don't come out easy!
RNmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I swear by Nature's miracle for dog pee but for cat pee, I recommend Anti-Icky-Poo. You can order it online.

We used Nature's miracle where one of our cats peed and our other cat kept smelling it so she'd poo on it! (yeah I know gross). We bought anti-icky poo and treated it and now the other cat is happy.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I have 4 cats, and a couple years ago we had a MAJOR, MAJOR issue with this -- on hardwood floors in a rental house!!!!

The BEST stuff I found is "Just Rite 1-2-3 Odor Free." It's a Uric Acid Eradicator, which really works on cat pee!!! I highly recommend it!

I found it online, but I'm not sure if they actually have a website. When I need more (I needed some a year ago when my cat peed on my brand new car UPOLSTERY on the way home from the vet... arghh!!! I called and ordered more, and yes, it got the smell out of my car.

Anyway, the phone number is 1888 419 1299 The guy who owns the company is usually who answers -- I actually think I remember that his name is Bill (I know, that's sad). Anyway, he ships it super fast and it works. He tells you the step by step directions on the phone.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:16 PM   #7  
Determined to lose!

I SWEAR by Nature's miracle, but I found recently that borax also does the trick. I have borax on hand for lots of other uses (ants, fleas, clothes, cleaning and my sis is trying it with mange after researching home remedies)... well, my new puppy (he's 12 weeks old) had accident today and I used it on that according to the directions and it works! So, less out of pocket expenses this time around for potty training! yeah!
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:41 AM   #8  

Natures Miracle works really well yeah.
mikefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:09 AM   #9  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

My DD's cat peed in the closet too, it soaked through the carpet, pad and unto hardwood floor beneath it. She cleaned the carpet, then pulled the carpet up in the corner, cut out the pad and replaced it with a new piece after scrubbing the floor. She said it was very easy to do, the carpet was easy to attach back onto the strips of wood/tacky under the carpet. If you don't have any pads laying around, go to a carpet place and ask for a small piece.
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:51 PM   #10  
mom2cole

I bought a house where the lady let the cats pee on the carpet and I had to tear out the carpet and pad and scrub the sub floor and then use a sealer on it since the smell was still there. I then replaced the carpet. I honestly don't think cat pee smell can be removed. I tried every thing before spending thousands on new carpet. I don't have cats so I was more sensitive to the smell.
mom2cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:49 PM   #11  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefish View Post
Natures Miracle works really well yeah.
Yes! This stuff rocks. Nature's Miracle and Kids N' Pets are safe for use around kids and pets. They have enzymes that eat the smelly bacteria and they aren't too perfumy.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 214/Ticker/130

Height: 5' 5.5", age 59

I'm with those who say pull up the carpet and remove and replace the pad underneath. But you also need to scrub and seal the floor before putting it all back together. Polyurethane works great for that.

I put towels under the carpet and then really saturate it with whatever cleaner I'm using, over and over, then use a carpet cleaner to suck out as much liquid as possible (or towels) and leave it propped up on something to air out completely. It is a job, but you really want to get all the smell out, or the cat will smell it and pee there again, even if you can't smell anything.

Last edited by recidivist; 01-01-2009 at 08:22 PM.
recidivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #13  
One day at a time...

S/C/G: 195/158/130

Height: 5'3"

I can't believe there is so much raving for Natures Miracle! I've used that stuff a ton and the cat's I've had problems with always keep going back to those spots. On recommendation from a vet friend of mine we use Urine Off now, they make a dog and cat formula. You'll need to either find a vet that sells it or buy it online.
OnlyWomanInTheHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #14  
BlueFlick

S/C/G: 257/255.8/150

Height: 5'10"

I use Petrotech, It's great for vomit too!
BlueFlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #15  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

natures miracle did not work for my cat urine spots! my cats peed on the couch over and over in the same spot... ugh it was horrible!!!!! and the couch was white so we even bleached it that helped a little... but We ended up getting anti icky poo as well- I found it online and it's been rated the number one on the market for getting rid of the smell! trust me it works!!!! it has enzymes that heat the bacterias in the cats urine that makes it smell so bad!
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote