Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-30-2008, 07:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 214/Ticker/130

Height: 5' 5.5", age 59

Default I need snack tips

I sometimes need an energy boosting snack to tide me over when my energy is flagging. Something that doesn't require cooking or food prep. Before Christmas I bought some of those fake crab sticks, and I love them, just straight out of the package. Two of those are only 80 calories, but they have junk in them I'd rather not be eating.

I limit myself to two pieces of fruit a day to limit sugars (I have a banana for breakfast and a piece of fruit for my evening snack). So, I'm looking for snacks that have really great flavor, feel satisifying, and don't contain a lot of junk (processed foods and preservatives), are ready to eat, and are about 100-200 calories. I already do 1/2 to 1 cup of yogurt or cottage cheese a day. Veggies aren't filling enough and don't give me the energy kick I need. No sugar. I'm not sure nuts would work, as I'd have to eat too many to feel like I ate anything at all.

Is protien the best thing I can snack on for an energy boost?

I will probably stick with the crab sticks since I like them so much, and maybe get some mozzarela cheese sticks. I never thought about it, but I can make some hard boiled eggs too.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by recidivist; 12-30-2008 at 07:21 PM.
recidivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

I like to mix yogurt with some high protein cereal -- like Nature's Path Optimum Power (Although, it is not particularly low in sugar...)

I also like to eat veggies dipped in hummus -- good protein and fairly low sugar. It is even better if you make your own so you can control how much fat is in it.

The 50 calorie cheese sticks are good and with some veggies for bulk they make a great snack

Celery or carrots with peanut butter or almond butter is really good

Unsalted roasted almonds fill you up and are chock full of good things for you

Hmmm...that is all I can think of off the top of my head. Although some fruit is not that high in sugar. Blueberries are great for you and pretty low in sugar content. I often throw a handful of them into my yogurt...even my salads.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:51 PM   #3  

Hummus is a great idea...as a veggie dip. Thanks! I'll have to look up some recipies.

I wonder if I could make falafel patties without frying them...just bake them in the oven, as a snack. I'll have to play with that. I have falafel mix.

I've been wanting to get some almonds, but they are so expensive, when I see the price I back out of buying them. Blueberries would be good, but again, expensive when not in season. I hope my bushes start producing soon so I can freeze my own.

Natural peanut butter might be OK, but 1 tbsp is 100 calories and doesn't seem like it would be very filling. I'm not fond of it on celery.

I prefer a cheese filling on celery. I should probably make some Neufchatel mixed with chopped onion to use as a spread on celery.

Oh and I forgot rice cakes. A low sodium rice cake with the cheese spread on it would be good. I also have a hot air popper for popped corn, but popped corn doesn't really boost my energy, and it's pretty bland without butter flavor or salt.

I wonder if adding raw rolled oats to the cheese spread would bulk it up and give me fiber too.

Last edited by recidivist; 12-30-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:54 PM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Schumeany had a good list!

Veggies with Laughing Cow, or a low fat cheese stick or peanut butter (or the hummus of course) - combining protein with fats and carbs works best for me.

I also put those spreads on a Thomas Light English Muffin - added fiber and protein. Or a Flatout Flat Bread. Or a high protein pita bread. Or Wasa crackers.

I make my own verson of Nessa's Oatmeal bars with added milk powder and peanut butter to boost the protein content.

Nuts are great, and filling - combine them with dry cereal, or veggies to add bulk and feel like you are eating a substantial snack.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

You can make baked falafel patties - which is really just a ground up garbanzo pattie. Same thing practically. Spray 'em with a little olive oil and oven fry them (dang - I just gave myself a snack idea and now I'm hungry).

Natural pb is a great healthy snack - spread some on 1/2 an apple, or a 1/2 a banana, or even on a single slice of whole grain bread. It's my favorite snack.

Boiled eggs. I boil a dozen eggs every Sunday and sometimes pop one in my purse (in a small snack baggie) to take with me as a quick protein snack. (Oh, I just saw you mentioned those! ).

If you can go to someplace like Sams or Costco you can get frozen wild blueberries and almonds in bulk. I buy a HUGE bag of almonds, then divy them up into single servings and freeze them. They're pretty cost effective that way.

A 1/2 an avocado is a great snack - full of healthy fats and about 80 or 90 cals. Slice it on a wasa cracker and it's yummy and filling.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 12-30-2008 at 08:01 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
.A 1/2 an avocado is a great snack - full of healthy fats and about 80 or 90 cals. Slice it on a wasa cracker and it's yummy and filling.
Huh, FitDay has that as 138 calories. Then again, I do always pick the smallest ones, and I actually usually have a quarter of one at a time. Either way, I still have to have an avocado every week
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:43 PM   #7  

Hm. The Daily plate lists one medium avocado as 160 cals. That could be wrong though. Hmph. Off to go investigate. I had a whole one tonight for dinner - I'm ok on calories even if it's double, but still ...

Old 12-30-2008, 09:23 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I've always thought avocados were closer to 400 calories.

Thedailyplate actually says that 1 medium (6oz) is 161 calories, but then it goes on to say that 1 oz. is 50 calories. Huh? Doesn't quite stack up.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I like making my own hummus patties and eating them w/lettuce, tomatoes and pickle.

I also like the artificial crabmeat that comes ready to eat. It is actually polluck fish. I also love the cole slaw that comes shredded and ready to use from the produce department. I top it with f-free miracle whip with vinegar and throw in diced apples and some raw almonds.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:37 PM   #10  

Well avocado.org says 1 oz is 50 cals. So then I had to go weigh my other avocado. It's another PhotoChick weighing and measuring extravaganza.

1 medium whole avocado = 6.55 oz

I fished the skin and pit out of the compost and weighed them:

1 avocado skin = 1.05 oz
1 avocado pit = 1.55 oz

Avocado flesh of one medium avocado = about 4 oz.

So at 50 cals per oz, that's 200 cals per avocado, give or take.

There you go. I'm gonna round up and say 1 medium (i.e. 6-7 oz whole avocado) is about 225 cals.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:10 PM   #11  
One day at a time...

S/C/G: 195/158/130

Height: 5'3"

Hmm, I'm interested in knowing now too! I had 1/4 of one today as a snack.

ETA: LOL, now I see PhotoChicks post.

Last edited by OnlyWomanInTheHouse; 12-30-2008 at 10:11 PM.
OnlyWomanInTheHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

So, on Fitday, under "Avocado, Raw," and then select "1 avocado, California", it says 276 calories.

But under "Avocado, Raw, California," then select "1 fruit, without skin and seed," and it says 227 calories.

Whatever
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:26 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
I like making my own hummus patties and eating them w/lettuce, tomatoes and pickle.

I also like the artificial crabmeat that comes ready to eat. It is actually polluck fish. I also love the cole slaw that comes shredded and ready to use from the produce department. I top it with f-free miracle whip with vinegar and throw in diced apples and some raw almonds.
Yum! I'm a horridly picky eater, but that sounds really good!
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:10 AM   #14  

Avocados are heavenly...1/2 sliced with a 1/2 sliced small tomato and sprinkled with garlic powder or lemon pepper. That's a snack I can handle. Thanks.

The calorie count site I've been using shows avocado is 240 calories per 150g (5.3 oz), which is about 1 cup cubed, and that comes out to about 45.3 calories an oz. Another site gave 47/oz. I think that's probably a safe estimate to go with 50 cal/oz.

Yes...I have to put avocado on my shopping list.

The crab sticks I mentioned are what you are all saying you love (I do too) but look at the ingredients. I feel guilty eating them.
ingredients:
pollock or pacific whiting, water, potato starch, eggwhite, sugar, modified tapioca starch, sorbitol, wheat starch, <2% snow crab meat, natural and artificial crab flavor, carageenan, rice wine, salt, potassium chloride, hydrolized corn, soy and wheat protein, (four different preservatives, I think), color added.

I'm pretty much a snob about not eating processed foods that contain crap, but I'll probably keep eating these, just cause I love them and they are fat free. But I will try to alternate with better snack options.

OK, canned tuna or salmon is good too. I should probably get some low fat crackers to have with a little tuna salad made with tuna, diced celery and garlic, drizzled with vinigar/splenda/garlic chili oil dressing. A green olive on top of salmon on a cracker and a sprinkle of dill weed is also great.

You guys are coming up with some great options and helping me to get my thoughts rolling. Thanks.

I forgot I used to just warm up a corn tortilla with an oz of melted cheese, and a spoonful of salsa or garlic chili sauce on it. That's only about 150 calories.

Oh I should mention that grapefruit and avocado are supposed to be great together...and a great snack for dieters, but I had them served together as a salad once, and didn't care for it. It might appeal to others though.

I haven't had bread in the house in ages. I should make some of my seedy wheaty whole wheat bread and make it into little single serving buns. It's so delicious.

Last edited by recidivist; 12-31-2008 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:21 AM   #15  

thighs be gone, when you say you make a hummus patty, do you mean you cook it like a falafel patty, or just shape it into a patty?