Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-26-2008, 10:11 PM   #1  

Height: 4'11"

Default Health Benefits: Weights vs. Cardio

Hi, I'm new to the forum and boy oh boy do I ever hate to exercise. I make myself do 30 minutes on the treadmill, which I know is not very much. I think I will like exercise once I get some weight off, because I like dancing, and I think I would enjoy taking some classes. I'm not going to take them now.

The one form of exercise I don't mind too much is weightlifting. I know cardio is better for burning calories, but what if I'm just trying to get my body healthy. For now, can I mainly lift weights, or do I have to do cardio? Does weightlifting have as many health benefits as cardio?
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:30 AM   #2  
No description available.

Funny you should ask.

I got New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women for Christmas and the author shares the theory that weight-lifting, since it builds muscle, allows for overall greater calorie burn than cardio.

I think there are benefits to both.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I believe there are benefits to both. 30 minutes on the treadmill is great, I wouldn't give that up if I were you, it is a nice compliment to your weight lifting. And as you said, you will probably enjoy it more as you get fitter and fitter -- and the extra cardio will help you get there faster.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote