Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-23-2008, 09:11 PM   #1  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Default "It's muscle"

Well, nothing like a rant to herald my return to 3FC after a prolonged absence.

What I have done since I left....I cant remember when I quit posting regularly, probably sometime in Jan/Feb. I have an inability to have more than one forum at a time and I was really focusing on my running goals and spending my internet energy on a running forum

So in 2008 I achieved a lot of running goals. I got a PR (Personal Record) in 5K, 10K, Half Marathon and Marathon and most importantly my Marathon PR was enough to qualify for Boston. Lifetime goal. (of course, now I need to set a new goal). Along the way I racked up over 2000 miles which far exceeded my goal.

BUT the downside is over the last 17 months I have regained approximately 14 lbs of the ~ 60 I had lost. Now if I so much as gripe about that my friends are quick to assure me that I look great (yes, I do, but my pants are all uncomfortable and half dont fit at all and I'll be DAMNED if I am buying anything bigger) and that with all the exercise I do it MUST be muscle. If I had gained 14 lbs of muscle I am pretty sure I would know.

And of course there is the self destructive bingy behaviour I have been indulging in pretty much non stop for 17 months. Lose 1 lb, gain 2, lose 1, gain 3. Qualify for Boston, gain 5 (hello fear of success).

I need to be back in the land of people who wont make excuses for me. I know what is real. And reality is when you are sampling the christmas cookies WHILE cooking breakfast, something is a bit broken - regardless of what the scale says. I have always been willing to accept the weight that a healthy lifestyle will maintain. If that was this weight that would be fine (although it would make my new lifetime running goal a major challenge) But when I know in my heart of hearts that an average of 3-4 days a week I am eating in a self-destructive manner, I know that this isnt it.

So I am back. With what worked before which is very short term mini goals with DATES on them. That is what works for me.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:36 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Ennay!!! So good to hear from you. Your voice of reason has surely been missed.

Great going on your running goals. You've gotten so far! Literally. You should be incredibly proud of yourself.

You've done a great job in recognizing that something needs to be done now, before those 17 little annoyances (is that even a word?) turns into 20 or more. There isn't a one of us here who hasn't been in your shoes. You know what needs to be done and glad you're here to "do it" and indeed - get it done.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday. I'm glad you're back and will once again be a participant here at 3FC.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:01 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

ennay!! I was wondering just the other day what you were up to!

I am amazed at you for your running accomplishments!

I'm sorry to say that for me, some foods are always going to sing a siren song... and "going with the flow" just isn't the right strategy with that. Holidays don't make it OK to overindulge--for me that just means weight gain. I wish it weren't so! The scale just seems to go up overnight and stay there... getting it back down takes a lot longer.

I'm right back with you after the New Year! We can do this.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:25 AM   #4  
No description available.

Ennay!!!!! Glad to see ya, girl!!!! Congrats on Boston. That is AMAZING!!! My running partner and I checked out the qualifying times and I just had to laugh---it is so far from reality for me. Wow! I am impressed and so proud of you!!!

I fell face first into some sweets last night so I understand where you are coming from. It's a tough time of year. I'm glad you're here!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:08 PM   #5  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

hi ennay i've missed ya! sorry to hear you've gained a little but it's just a little and now that you're here you'll get it back under control!
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:00 PM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
I need to be back in the land of people who wont make excuses for me.....
OK so the mother of my adopted GRANDkids qualifies for Boston and doesn't have enough in her to think twice before binging...?.... I don't think so...I think she is stronger than she allows herself to be....

Glad to see you back
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
OK so the mother of my adopted GRANDkids qualifies for Boston and doesn't have enough in her to think twice before binging...?.... I don't think so...I think she is stronger than she allows herself to be....

Glad to see you back
I'll have to get a new avatar so you can see how big they have gotten.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:24 PM   #8  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Welcome back! AWESOME news on Boston - what an amazing accomplishment!

Glad you are here, and we will help you with those pesky lbs. and getting back OP.

I look forward to reading your posts (again).
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:30 PM   #9  

Height: 5'5"

Yeah, scales and water and muscle weight can be misleading, but my clothes always tell me what's up. Once you recognize the situation for what it is it's much easier to get into the swing of things and get back on track. The most important thing is to get to where you're comfortable in your own skin. It's always such a relief to me when I finally take that first step, and it sounds to me like you're seeing things pretty clearly now and getting back on track.

BTW, congrats on your BQ. I think I know you from another site (RA). Nice to see you're on here too. Small world
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:34 PM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulVegGirl View Post
Yeah, scales and water and muscle weight can be misleading, but my clothes always tell me what's up. Once you recognize the situation for what it is it's much easier to get into the swing of things and get back on track. The most important thing is to get to where you're comfortable in your own skin. It's always such a relief to me when I finally take that first step, and it sounds to me like you're seeing things pretty clearly now and getting back on track.

BTW, congrats on your BQ. I think I know you from another site (RA). Nice to see you're on here too. Small world
Yep - you have the same avatar on RA I think!
Old 12-25-2008, 10:15 AM   #11  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Great picture....what a lucky mom! Love the sweaters!!

I hope Santa was good to them!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote