Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-23-2008, 08:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

Height: 5'6"

Default question for runners with knee issues

Hi, i just read through the knee pain thread and found some good tips in there. i especially liked the one about tracing the alphabet with your big toe, some kind of ballet move. i could really feel that in my quad.

I was curious if any runners are familiar with barefoot running?
i have read up on how running barefoot puts your body in a more natural alignment by forcing you to toe strike, rather than landing on your heel and jarring your body.
i was wondering if anyone incorporates barefoot drills into their running and if it has helped strengthen your legs and ease joint pain , esp. knee pain.

I quit my favorite workout (running) due to intense pain in my R knee.
the dr. took xrays and diagnosed me with 'runner's knee' otherwise known as patellar fascitis. there is a little evidence of arthritis too, but not too bad.

sometimes the pain goes away, but as soon as i start running, even an easy mile or so, the pain returns.

has anyone recovered from this without surgery or drugs?
i've gained so much since i havent been able to run, and my mental state has suffered as well. I'm so much more relaxed and peaceful when i can run.
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

I had runner's knee as well in the past and I would have to stop running because it got so bad. One of the main causes is that your leg muscles aren't strong enough to stabilize the knee cap so it moves and that friction causes pain and swelling of surrounding tissue. I saw a physical therapist for mine who recommended knee strengthening exercises. I did weighted leg curls and extensions as well as the elliptical at really really high resistance level and it worked. This is the first time I have been able to run for months on end without being sidelined by an injury. I can relate to the frustration of not being able to run when you want to. I did this off and on again running thing for 6 years and it feels so good to know that now I can run year round. I hope this helps.

As far as barefoot running, I read the runnersworld boards as well and some people swear by it you might want to look there for people who have had experience with using it to treat injuries. I can't and will never attempt as I need a cushioned shoe with good arch support.

Last edited by JackieRn; 12-23-2008 at 09:07 PM.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote