Old 12-16-2008, 03:37 PM   #1  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

Default Who Do You Buy Holiday Gifts For?

Economy is not so hot...so who do you buy Christmas or Holiday gifts for? What did you get for them? How long ago did you purchase it? Who do you still have to shop for?

Are you obligated to buy gifts for everyone? How much do you end up spending?
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:38 PM   #2  
Diana

Height: 5' 4"

We're in Louisiana and are self-employed in the oilfield...we aren't rich by any stretch of the imagination, but the recession's not hitting us as hard as it seems to be hitting everyone else...so this is a pretty normal Christmas for us. We've spent between $2500 and $3000 on Christmas. That's pretty typical for us. We save for Christmas and have no credit cards. When the holidays are over, we're not stressed about how we're going to pay everyone's Christmas gifts off. I can't imagine going into debt to buy folks stuff that they may or may not like. lol I love my extended family, but there are just some things I'm not willing to do for them....that being one of them! This year, we bought for everyone. Usually we do not. We usually draw names for the adults on both mine and my husbands side. I didn't buy out of obligation....most of the folks I bought for will be totally surprised to be getting something from us. I don't imagine anyone else bought for everyone. We have older kids in the family....teens, except my twin nephews. We are giving all the kids money except the twins. We bought them gifts. There is, however, as sense of obligation when it comes to the kids. I have two kids (nephews) that are 18 this year....I did NOT want to give them gifts, but felt obligated. Anyone have an opinion about that issue??

Last edited by GainingWeightInLa; 12-16-2008 at 04:40 PM.
GainingWeightInLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

I haven't shopped yet, at all. Well except the speedometer DH found for is motorcycle, that's what he wanted for Christmas. We travel to my parents and since we can travel with gifts, 3 kids and dog, we don't shop till we get there which is about 3days before Christmas. we buy for my parents, brother, 2 nephews, a niece and our 3 kids.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

We BUY presents for immediate family only. I usually have some kind of craft going on (last year I knit scarves and hats, this year I beaded necklace and earring sets), and friends get those. Then I make cookie and goodie baskets, and those go out to the friends and acquaintences.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #5  
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

Usually, I buy for my parents, brother, grandmother and some friends. This year, I'm not buying for anyone since I'm unemployed. Hoping I can make that up to them early 2009.
RangerChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:56 PM   #6  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

I buy for a few close friends, and that's all.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:04 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 223/213/199

Height: 5'6"

I sometimes buy for my sister's family, 2 nieces and my mom and her bf. They live between 4-7 hrs away from DH and I...so we usually end up buying them gifts early.
I started shopping this year in early October and got some great deals that way! We buy for DH's family...Gramma, 2 Aunts, Cousin, Cousin's GF, Mom, Dad, Sister and BIL. That's about it...we also play Secret Santa that lets you only spend a max of $125 on the person you got and then $5-$15 on the others. The smaller gifts are consumable things or things you use on a regular basis (ie. socks, shampoo/conditioner, hair gel, gift cards to Starbucks, Second Cup, etc...)
We ended up spending a bit more on DH's parents and gramma this year b/c we bought them a photobook of our wedding photos from last year. It was about $50/book from MyPublisher....thank god for the 2 for 1 deals!
Wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

I buy for my family of four, my parents, my sister's family of four, one aunt, and my cousin and her son. Oh, and my BFF. That's it this year. I usually send packages to some other friends and buy for a few friends at work. I really love shopping for presents, wrapping and giving them, but this year we didn't get a bonus, so I had to just send cards. I think everyone understands and they know that I think of them and love them.
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

We buy for the kids only - that means my 5 nieces and nephews. Usually about 30 per kid (they are ages 3-9). None of the adults give anymore, and we have found that we ENJOY the time together this was MUCH more.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:20 AM   #10  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I buy for my parents, my In-Laws, my 3 kids, my brother's 5 kids, my sister's 2 kids, my best friend's 2 kids, and my husband....plus we adopt a family in need every year
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote