Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 12:18 PM   #1  

Default New and need HELP

I am new to this whole web site, there seems so many avenues to take I am unsure where to start, let me start by saying I have about 100lbs to lose, am also unable to work due to disablity, and also fighting depression, so now you can see that I need support, I feel like I am at the bottom of this huge hill that I dont even know where to start to try to climb, I am currently not on any diets or programs, but one thing is for sure I am tired of carrying this 100lb person with me all the time and I just want to feel good, and of course having so much to lose it feels like it is never gonna come off, I want to feel good and look good not to mention losing will probley releave some of my pain, so I am in need of any and all support anyone is willing to give, tips, lead, best way to start, I have a real problem focusing on the 100lbs, it just seems like it will come off so slowly, so please help
Old 08-28-2002, 12:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 308/238/164

Height: 5'5.5"

Hi there and WELCOME

First off, know that you are not alone. We are all in the same boat, or in this case on the same wagon.

I had about 150 lbs to lose, and still have over a 100 to go, but one day when I was so over whelmed, a very smart woman (Sandi ~ Jacobsmommy) gave me some great advice. Instead of seeing the whole picture, focus on a small goal. So due to her advice, I concentrate on 25lbs at a time. I've hit my first, but still have 5 more to go. I have currently lost the same amount of weight that my 3 year old weighs! . It hasn't happened over night, but I have the drive and determination to do this. We all fall off the wagon, but when your here, there is always a hand reaching out to help you get back on.

No one judges you, we're here for support. Now where to start? Everyone here is pretty much doing their own thing. Some are doing W.W., some are doing low carb, some sugarbusters. I count calories and it seems to be working for me. You may want to start out just by eating less at every meal. When I FINALLY had my epiphany, I jumped right in. I decided that I would eat a certain amount of calories and not worry about carbs and what not. I wanted to be able to eat 's, :donut: 's, , and 's. So as long as I stay within my range, I eat pretty much what I want. Again, this is what's working for me.

We just started a new 30 Challenge. You should check out the thread and join us. Basically, we each determine how much Food, water and exercise, we want to do each day. Then if we are successful we get a point for each catagory. I hope I'm not confusing you. Please check it out.

Again, WELCOME. Post often and get to know us
Old 08-28-2002, 01:23 PM   #3  

blancita, first off WELCOME! You will find a lot of wonderful support here. I've only been here about 6 or so weeks & the ladies are just fantastic.

Second, you are not alone at all. I started about with 150 pounds to lose & still have 90.8 pounds to go. And looking at the big number IS overwhelming. So much so, I try not to do it. My goal is instead to just try to lose each week -- even if it's only .1 pounds. Then slowly but surely, those little losses are adding up. Focusing on losing 150 pounds (or 90.8 now) just makes me think I will NEVER be able to do it. Focusing on losing just a bit each week makes me think "yeah, I can do that" So my advice would be not to look at the big number, but set "mini-goals" for yourself (and amply reward yourself for achieving them!)

Personally, I am doing the WW Points program, & it is working wonderfully for me. But everyone needs to find what works for them. You may have to experiment around a bit & see what works best for your lifestyle, your body. But, while your finding out what exact program will work for you, there are some little lifestyle changes you can make in the meantime. For instance, up your water intake, up your veggie & fruit intake, and try to be a bit more active (nothing huge at all. But just move a bit more. Start small -- I started by just taking a 5 minute walk 2 times a week.). These are all little things that add up to make a big difference while you are fine-tuning your eating plan.

Anyway, those are just the ways that I did it. The journey of weight loss is different for all of us. But the bottom line is that we are worth it & we CAN do it!
Old 08-28-2002, 02:06 PM   #4  

Thank you ladies for your support I can not begin to express just how much reading those couple of words means to me, I look forward to all the support and advice I am getting at this forum and only hope that I will be support to someone in the near future thanks again
Old 08-28-2002, 02:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 308/238/164

Height: 5'5.5"

I see your in California too. I live in the Bay Area. What part are you in?

DH has a job interview next Thursday in Simi Valley. Not exactly sure where that is, but do know it's down south some where.
Old 08-28-2002, 02:48 PM   #6  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Welcome here. we all have had a huge strugle here and know how hard it is to start let alone keep up the work. post often that is the key to success.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:54 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

Default well, hi there, blancita

welcome to the wise women!!! you've taken the first major step, and that's admitting you want to change, and then you've come here!!! check out the other boards for program ideas, and then decide what works best for you. if one plan doesn't work, just shout NEXT and try another one!!! and keep going.

sandi's mini goals are great. and some diet authorities believe that the focus should actually BE on those small goals, 10 percent of your body weight at a time, and then focus on maintaining that weight for a few months before going for another weight loss round.

i've lost more than 230 pounds, and still have a little less than 100 to go, but don't follow my example unless you want to know how to do everything WRONG. the docs corrected my sleep apnea and then i had the weight loss surgery. the right choices for me, but not for everyone.

so, welcome, post a lot. ask questions. look around the website, and off you go!!!!
Old 08-28-2002, 09:57 PM   #8  
gbo

Welcome Darlin' you have come to the right place. There are many avenues to choose from. On this site are many methods of weight loss. Choose one you can live with long term. One you feel "fits" you. Support you shall have in abundance here. For yourself and your success post daily and most of all be open when you are here. Open with your feelings and for support. We have all gone through the weight cycle and know well the ins and outs of the process. Mentally, emotionally, and physically!!!!!! You can be assured you are safe here to freely express yourself about any issues you may have to deal with. For sure.....pick small goals. I choose ten lbs increments. Not 10 pounds a week, but as goals. I have a chart for myself in those 10 lbs goals. It works!!! And by the way kids when I started I had 225lbs to lose!
Pam
Old 08-28-2002, 10:25 PM   #9  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

WELCOME!!! WELCOME!!!

There is not much more wisdom that I can share that these fine ladies have not already said.

Read often, Post often. We want to hear how you are doing!!
Old 08-28-2002, 11:12 PM   #10  

Thanks ladies for all your support so far, I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your support, so far today I feel so much better than I have in a long time, I feel as if I am and I can reach my goal this time around, with all the help of you ladies I feel anything is possible, thanks again.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:03 AM   #11  
Losin It For GOOD!

I highly reccomend the one goal at a time approach as well. I focus by setting mini goals (and we run them on the boards!)

Our current mini goal is for labor day (too soon for you!) and our next one is already being orgainzed for Halloween!

Jump on into our challenges, I know a LOT of people have had success with them, and lost weight!

Welcome, and a big hug to you for starting this journey! You won't regret it!
Old 08-29-2002, 11:24 AM   #12  

Welcome! I cannot think of anything that someone hasn't already told you. You took the first step in deciding you need a lifestyle change. Again, post often and read often. It really is helpful in your weight loss journey.
Closed Thread