Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #1  
Insanity Is Relative

S/C/G: 324/241/170

Height: 5'6"

Talking I'm melting!

Heya! I'm a newbie... I had gastric bypass on December 9th 2008-- so I'm really quite new!
I went down to see my surgeon for the first week follow-up on the 17th and I'd lost 15lbs and am under 300lbs for the first time in my adult life! I cried when I saw the numbers come up on the scale. I don't currently own a scale so I don't know what's going on now lol... but I tell ya, this is the best thing I have ever done for myself!
Elizabeth
MissusO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Oh Elizabeth!

I'm so happy for you my dear! It is hard work but oh so worth it. Welcome to our site. You are starting out about where I once was, and yes I melted also. Do what the doc and NUT tells you! SIP, sip, pis, SIP, sip!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:17 PM   #3  
Insanity Is Relative

My doc promoted me to soft foods when I went down for my follow up... the only problem I'm having is their guideline is 'eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full'... I could have used some more detailed instructions! I know WHAT to eat, I just don't know when or how much-- so I'm shooting from the hip!
Old 12-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Congratulations !!! and to 3FC's

Did you have to see a nutritionalist before your surgery?
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:02 PM   #5  
Insanity Is Relative

Yep... I saw a nut, and a psych... they DID give me paperwork, but it's very vague... I think I'll e-mail the nut... I had completely forgotten she'd given me her e-mail addy! (my surgeon's office is 3 hours away)
Old 12-21-2008, 09:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Become best friends with your NUT!! Every plan is different, but at the stage you are at I was able to do 2 to 4 TBSP of soft food. Everyone is different and I really didn't have any idea when I was full or when I was hungry at this stage. Just ate what I was told and didn't push it. Ate small amounts frequently and with my water, think that is about all I had time for the first couple of months. Really talk with your NUT and have her get very specific.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:15 PM   #7  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

congrats!
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:53 PM   #8  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Woohoo! I am happy for you, you made it to the other side! Yes email your NUT, mine gave me a list and menu for the first 8 weeks, I'm surprised they didn't give you more info. Soft food stage I was drinking my protein shakes between about 3 meals about 2 tbls in size...but get your NUT to be specific! I think I started being hungry again about 3 days ago LOL Just don't push it, never eat to the point of stuffed or throwing up. Ok "never" is a harsh goal, try not to. That was my biggest complication, eating just a little too much, getting the pain in my chest and throwing up...Blakh!

At this point is eat what you're told, walk walk walk, get enough water and take your vitamins...it will all fall into place!

Congrats on the 15 lbs!!! again....Woohoo!

Go MissusO! Go MissusO! Go MissusO! Go MissusO! Go MissusO! Go MissusO!

Last edited by missangelaks; 12-22-2008 at 12:01 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:57 PM   #9  
Excited about my new life

S/C/G: 348/256/190

Height: 5'8"

Congratulations to you! How exciting to be out of the 300's. Please share your answer of how to know when you are full or hungry. I had surgery on December 11th and I don't always know when to eat. I am afraid when I am able to eat over 2 - 4 oz per meal.

Have a wonderful Christmas enjoy the soft food diet, the liquid one is beginning to kill me!
worthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:18 AM   #10  

Wow, congrats, that must be such an amazing feeling!
plaidkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:54 PM   #11  
Old Cackler

Hi MissusO! and congrats! now, about that eating thing. you probably aren't feeling exactly hungry right now, are you? so, how could you possible know when you're FULL? seriously!!!!

so, Nan's advice is right on - less than 1/4 cup should do you just fine. but be sure to consume your protein!!!!!!! before anything else.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote