Old 12-17-2008, 09:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 307.5/301.5/159

Height: 5'7"

Question WW vs Calorie Counting?

Hey All, My sister and I are currently doing Flex points from Weight Watchers and are wondering what the pro's and con's of calorie counting are. Our main con of WW's is always having to have that dang points calculator near by. We were thinking about switching to counting calorie and using the Daily Plate (or a site like it) What are some of your ideas?
HilaryAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I love calorie counting. It's pretty easy to find calories for foods in restaurants, on packages, or in my little calorie counting book/online. Plus, I think it's a lot more accurate than the point system, so you can really tell what you're allowed to eat.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

I personally prefer calorie counting to WW because the concept of points drives me crazy. I wind up trying to convert points to calories in my head and then wondering about fat and carbs and so forth. I find it to be an annoying distraction.

Also you can find calorie lists everywhere - online, in books, etc. So when you run into something that's not standard you don't have to find a specific book or website to look things up.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against WW, it just isn't a system that works for me.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 12-17-2008 at 10:08 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:08 PM   #4  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

Either way you have to count
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:44 PM   #5  
Empress/Queen

I've done Flex but for me calorie counting is the most basic and relevant factor in tracking what I'm eating.

WW is a fine system but to me the points are a less exact way to quantify food. Calorie count for a point can vary depending on fat and fiber and to me that's just not relevant to what I want to track.

But to each their own.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:23 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I have done both calorie counting, and WW Flex...and I think that there are pros and cons to both.

With calorie counting, I like that I can ONLY count calories if I am in a hurry, and all the macronutrients are secondary. It makes it easier to figure. On the other hand, I like the fact that WW basically rewards you for eating fruits and veggies by making them naturally very low in Points values (because of the low fat and high fiber factoring in). I like that calorie counting is FREE...but I like the group support, and the incentive fgiven by WW. (I am more likely to stay more strictly on plan if I know someone is going to see my weight every week!)

It all boils down to what works best for YOU. They are both great plans.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:50 AM   #7  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

I think it's a great idea. I like the 'less work' idea. Calorie calculating sites are awesome!!! I use daily plate and have been very happy with it

It's me i've been having trouble with
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote