Old 12-18-2008, 01:25 PM   #1  
Workin' It

Default Crunchy green bean help

I've read the 'new ideas for green beans' thread withe the crunchy green beans recipes and realize I am a cooking imbecile, so have a couple of questions for anyone who made them... (holiday party this weekend - looking for a healthier, easy to make 'appetizer snacky' item to take)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
I buy frozen green beans and toss them (while still frozen) with a tiny bit of olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, and fresh cracked black pepper, then I roast them in a very hot oven until they begin to shrivel. They are sooooo good
So, on this one, how hot do you guys think is a 'very hot' oven? How much oil and Worcestershire, just enough to coat? Roast on an open cookie sheet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
ROASTED GREEN BEANS

Make a lot, they really are yummy.

-Green beans, rinsed and trimmed.
-Spray a large cooking sheet with cooking spray.
-Lay beans on in as much as a single layer as possible.
-Spray beans with some more cooking spray
-Sprinkle with a little sea salt
-Place in 400 degree oven for about 30-40 mins, total, turning every now and then, til they get almost brownish and wrinkly.
-About 1/2 way through, sprinkle on lots of fresh chopped garlic and finely diced onions, spray with more cooking spray. Roast further til done, turning every now and then.
think these are fresh green beans? Think I could use thawed frozen beans?

I like the frozen bean idea, but I also like the cooking spray instead of oil idea...

Suggestions from anyone who has made these, or something similar, before?

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 12-18-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 175/156.6/128

Height: 5'3"

I do this with fresh green beans, but I think you can with frozen as well. I use 1 lb green beans and 2 teaspoons of olive oil. I usually just go glug glug with the worchestershire. Then I put them on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven at 375 until they almost burn. I can't tell you exactly how long I cook them. Just watch them and taste one every so often once you think they're almost done. Since I use fresh, a couple of the really skinny baby ones sometimes burn before I get the majority to the consistency I like. Using frozen, they should all be the same size, so this shouldn't be as much of a problem.

I have also used PAM and it works well too. When I used PAM I lightly sprayed the pan and then put the green beans on and sprayed again. One hint is that the green beans need to be in a single layer; they can't overlap each other.
murphydoodle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I have a similar recipe. I use fresh green beans from Sam's Club. They're very skinny long "haricots verts" (just the french name for green beans). I've never used any other green beans, because these are already washed and trimmed, and I just rinse and pat dry.

But then I toss them (in a ziploc bag) with just enough oil to make all of them damp with the oil after shaking. Usually one tablespoon is plenty. Then I pour in a couple teaspoons of dry ranch dressing mix (I buy it in bulk, but it's what's in the Hidden Valley Ranch mix packets) or mixed seasonings (garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt, pepper). Then I shake to coat the beans with the seasoning and poor onto a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees until they're wrinkly, and the very tips are just starting to turn black (this is the way I like them).

I think with frozen, you might have to cook longer (on the other hand, since they're precooked, they might not take as long). The really thin green beans only take about 25 to 30 minutes to bake. Just keep checking on them and when you like the results, take them out.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #4  
Workin' It

Thanks guys! Going to try it out tonight so if I fail miserably I have time to buy some bagged party mix...
Old 12-18-2008, 05:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

This is from the Martha Stewart Cookbook:

Fahrenheit Celsius Gas mark Description
225° 110° ¼ Cool
250° 130° ½ Cool
275° 140° 1 Very slow
300° 150° 2 Very slow
325° 170° 3 Slow
350° 180° 4 Moderate
375° 190° 5 Moderate
400° 200° 6 Moderately hot
425° 220° 7 Fairly hot
450° 230° 8 Hot
475° 240° 9 Very hot
500° 250° 10 Extremely hot

Mark Bittman has a similar chart in "How to Cook Everything" ... but it doesn't have as many levels. I think the temp range is about the same.

For me "very hot" means around 450 to 475.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #6  
Workin' It

That is the coolest chart I've ever seen. I'm going to print it out and tape it up by the stove (next to the one I printed out with common measurement and weight conversions...) Thanks!
Old 12-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
I've read the 'new ideas for green beans' thread withe the crunchy green beans recipes and realize I am a cooking imbecile, so have a couple of questions for anyone who made them... (holiday party this weekend - looking for a healthier, easy to make 'appetizer snacky' item to take)

So, on this one, how hot do you guys think is a 'very hot' oven? How much oil and Worcestershire, just enough to coat? Roast on an open cookie sheet?

think these are fresh green beans? Think I could use thawed frozen beans?

I like the frozen bean idea, but I also like the cooking spray instead of oil idea...

Suggestions from anyone who has made these, or something similar, before?
Shannon, I use fresh green beans. I'm not a fan of the frozen variety. I make at least 3 - 4 lbs at a time. I'll also tell you this. It may take one or more tries to get them just "right". It's a hard thing to explain. They have to get a certain "look" to them. But when you do get them right - yumm. yumm. yumm.

I'm curious to know what you wind up making and how they turn out. Let us know.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:20 PM   #8  

Tonight I'm roasting veggies for dinner. Lots of veggies. So I threw some green beans into the toaster oven. The problem with roasting all kinds of different veggies is that they all need different times. So I have lots of pans in the oven and 2 in the toaster oven.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I didn't think my frozen green beans were cooked. Perhaps blanched but not cooked. Now I have to go home and look.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:50 PM   #10  
Workin' It

Okay, I'm in the process of making the beans and my first round of beans had black spots on the bottom when I turned them. Must have waited too long. Taste good so far though... going to see what happens... I'll update more when I get more done.

Edit: okay, after 40 minutes they were browinsh all over, I guess that is normal. What is the texture supposed to be like at the end? I ended up about 50/50 between really brown but crunchy all the way through and brown and crunchy on the outside, a little chewier on the inside and the not brown toasty spots. They did get all wrinkly, and the flavor is great... Going to see how batch two turns out. I used "Penzey's Sandwich Sprinkle" and ground black pepper as my spices. The blend has salt, garlic, onion powder, oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil, majoram and something else I think... I'll look when I go back down.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 12-18-2008 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #11  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

OK, I actually just bought a 2 lb. bag of those long thin green beans. I usually eat them plain-- they are so sweet. Sometimes I'll steam them and put a little bottled teriaki sauce and pieces of chicken, meat or shrimp and tell DH it's a stir fry.

I'm going to try the roasting thang and let y'all know if it is a blast or a bust.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:08 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The texture varies and it sounds like they're coming out just right. I've never had a batch where they've all been crunchy all the way through. I don't know if I'm impatient, or just paranoid about them getting too burnt. Even the little black spots are prefectly normal, and as long as they're tasting good you haven't overcooked them.

I've not burnt beans, but I have burnt caulifower and broccoli roasting them this way and it's amazing how veggies can go from needs to cook a little more to yucky burnt in what seems like just a few seconds. Luckily, after doing it a few times you start to get a feel for when to check, based on the smell.

I made turnips this way tonight, and it's the first time I used turnips. I let them go a little too long before checking (about 30 minutes), and I was a couple minutes late. Most of them were still excellent, but a few were carbon critters. Note for next time, start checking at 20 minutes.

You will also probably get a sense (literally) for what each vegetable's "done" smells like.

I did this once with canned, diced beets. I drained them and patted them dry first (which is hard to do with canned veggies). And I cooked the bejeebies out of them (I think about 40 minutes), because I was craving hash browns, and I kept checking and checking waiting for them to get crisp.

They were the weirdest little things, but they were very yummy. They didn't really get crisp, but they were really good (they did sort of look like shriveled up red hash browns).

I've heard (here I think) of people doing the same with canned or leftover (cooked from dried) chickpeas. Baking till they're crunchy. I'm thinking of trying that next.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:10 PM   #13  

Oh I love roasted chickpeas. A little olive oil, some salt and paprika ... mmmmmm. Cooked until crunchy. I have to be careful not to overdo with these.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:19 PM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Shanon, it sounds like your first crack at it turned out really well. You've got my mouth watering! Really - sounds just right.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:47 PM   #15  
Workin' It

How do I store the beans? They got a little squishy overnight...