Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-18-2008, 06:55 AM   #1  
novabsolute

S/C/G: 220/207/120

Height: 5.2

Default No To Binging At Night

Hi,
I think I'll post here cause I do need weight loss support. Night time is soooo hard for me. I usually dont get to bed until 11 or 12 at night. I could probably do it by 10.

I have done this before, lost weight... why does it seem so unattainable to me this time? Is it the fact that I have done it before? It is has become so normal for me to eat without any guidlines, whenever I want , what ever I want... a lot of eating just to be eating. Butter sandwiches, spoons of peanut butter, candy, cheese. I was filling up my nights with this and now its really hard not to just act on my impulse to open the fridge. I know I can do crafts and read and take a bath and call a friend and post here but when I finish there is this long stretch of time ahead of me still. I know I have issues... sorry to be a drama queen but this is really the main part of my struggle.

I believe I need to find something I am passionate about. this will be my salvation. Thanks for listening.
Kriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:09 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 175/156.6/128

Height: 5'3"

For me, cross stitch was the answer. Admittedly I already liked it (I had done it 10-15 years ago), but it keeps my hands busy and I don't want to eat while I cross stitch so I don't get stains on the fabric. I know you mentioned that you already do crafts, but I can literally cross stitch from the time I walk in the door until the moment I go to sleep. I think you're on to something when you said that you need to find something you're passionate about. If I only cross-stitched for 30 min per night it wouldn't have the same effect.
murphydoodle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:52 AM   #3  
No description available.

It sounds like eating at night is part of your routine.

Try changing your routine.

Plan out your food for the day and then establish a routine that will tell your body and mind you are done eating for the day.

My routine is a full glass of water, a chocolate calcium chew, and then brushing my teeth.

That is my signal to myself that I am done eating for the day.

It might take a week or so for your body to be conditioned to the signal, whatever it is you choose, but you can change your habits and routines.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Kriss,

Night time eating was my biggest problem. Sure, I would eat some during the day but then I was binging every night. I would eat dinner with my family and then after everyone went to sleep I logged on my computer and made my plate--sometimes two. I knew I shouldn't have been doing it but it became my habit.

I started changing my life in June. My answer for the night time problem was simple. I GO TO SLEEP! I read that more calories are burned sleeping than when you are watching TV. Because I am usually in bed by ten, getting up at 5:30 to run isn't a problem for me.

Best of luck. Recognizing where your mistakes are puts you that much closer to your goal. Good work.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

I eat at night too now I bought an exercise bike and put a little TV in front of it on a stand also with a radio to listen to talk radio (not the political ones, Money Matters, Clark Howard etc.)

At night if I am tempted to eat I will go in there and ride a little bit and watch TV or listen to the radio.

It's funny if I go on the bike 10 minutes later someone will call or come by and interupt me, never fails! LOL!

seriously though I used to do 70% of my eating after 7pm because I keep late hours so I know what you mean it's hard.

Last edited by flatiron; 12-18-2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: bad speler! lol!
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

I usually never eat at night any more, but lately I had been trying these diet supplement pills and they have thrown me out of whack. So, being wide awake because of the caffeine in these things and hungry I had a 1am snack last night lol. Well for me it was a meal to be honest.

Ahh well...no more of that then!
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #7  
novabsolute

S/C/G: 220/207/120

Height: 5.2

I already feel better~Thank you all so much for the quick reponses. I am on vacation now until the 4th and I am kinda pinging around the house!!! Going out here consists of eating out to eat so thats not an option for me.

I used to needlepoint and I know it is easy to get lost in it. Its a good idea murphydoodle to take up something like that again. I was thinking crochet because then [ hopefully] I would have masses of throws or scarves and I could donate them here.

Flatiron I recently saw on a TV special that some offices have set up computer stations where employess could walk on a treadmill while at the computer! They say that preformance is up and people are happier! Look at you doing the same!

Thanks for the suggestion about a nightime routine Midwife , a great idea. especialy brushing your teeth.

Jaquie can't you take the supplement at another time. way earlier in the day. No More 1 am snacks!! You have lost so much weight already.
Anyway its about 6:30 pm here and I am still really full from dinner and feeling encouraged. i know if I can get that 1st 5 pounds off I will get the ball rolling.
Kriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:13 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 185/161/148

Oh, the night binging. I know it well. I think it's part habit, part weakness due to tiredness. when I was single, I could retreat to bed with a book at 7 if I wanted. Now haveta stay up and deal with family's needs. The bingeing becomes a stress reliever.

The good news is, I joined here two days ago, and last night, for the first time in forever, I did not binge! I immediately lost four pounds of water weight and am enjoying that "lighter" feeling this morning. That's the kind of jump start that I need!
Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:24 AM   #9  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

yes...no to binging at night.

I am also planning to go to sleep much earlier than I currently am. When I started my journey that was part of my lifestyle change. I've been sliding backwards. Now I'm heading forwards again and I'm gonna get into bed earlier!!

post often... good luck!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss View Post
Jaquie can't you take the supplement at another time. way earlier in the day. No More 1 am snacks!! You have lost so much weight already.
Anyway its about 6:30 pm here and I am still really full from dinner and feeling encouraged. i know if I can get that 1st 5 pounds off I will get the ball rolling.
It said to start out by taking one in the mornings and one in the afternoons. So, I would take one at 8:30am and then one at 3pm and upon taking the second one I would start to feel a bit shaky, jittery, and wide awake in the wee hours of the night. :/

It also did something to my appetite and I found I wouldn't eat, I wasn't hungry, but then I would be ravenous at night lol. So, I think no more of the supplements. lol

I did read that supplements with caffeine can make people with a sensitivity a bit nutty. Perhaps I'm one of those people. I know I usually don't have caffeine, not in daily amounts.

I agree, no more eating late night snacks!

Last edited by Jacquie668; 12-18-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

The bad habit i need to break about binging is doing it while dinner is cooking. I seem to be either so hungry, or just wanting to snack. So...tonight, i will just have to make it a healthy snack or else no snack at all. I think i am going to have some popcorn on my way home tonight (and i do mean one of those single serving, 100 calorie bags). And the bbq chicken breast i am cooking tonight shouldnt' take that long to cook anyways. Also, i have to drink my water at home too. I tend to either grab a can of soda or nothing at all. So, i need to drink my water to help flush the sodium out of my body while i sleep. I can tell i'm not doing it at night because my shoes are looser on my feet now at 4pm than they were this morning at 7am when i put them on. And normally, your feet sweel during the day, not the opposite.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:50 PM   #12  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Ug I have this terrible habit too- I'm so good all day then bam it hits 7 or 8 pm and I want to eat- I will try the brushing my teeth thing and I'm also going to try the drink a glass of water thing- hopefully that helps!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

This is a HUGE problem for me too, and it has become more of one lately -- the more fatigue and stress I have in my life, the worse it is. And, of course it's a vicious cycle.

Maybe we could make this an accountability thread? I truly believe I would drop some pounds if I cut my night eating...
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss View Post
Hi,
I think I'll post here cause I do need weight loss support. Night time is soooo hard for me. I usually dont get to bed until 11 or 12 at night. I could probably do it by 10.

I have done this before, lost weight... why does it seem so unattainable to me this time? Is it the fact that I have done it before? It is has become so normal for me to eat without any guidlines, whenever I want , what ever I want... a lot of eating just to be eating. Butter sandwiches, spoons of peanut butter, candy, cheese. I was filling up my nights with this and now its really hard not to just act on my impulse to open the fridge. I know I can do crafts and read and take a bath and call a friend and post here but when I finish there is this long stretch of time ahead of me still. I know I have issues... sorry to be a drama queen but this is really the main part of my struggle.

I believe I need to find something I am passionate about. this will be my salvation. Thanks for listening.
Maybe at first instead of cutting out a snack totally at night, you could just change your snack! Find something low calorie, crunchy, etc. and have that and then brush your teeth. That way, you still feel like you are filling that need to have something at night, but it's not going overboard.

maybe?

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:35 PM   #15  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumifan4ever View Post
The bad habit i need to break about binging is doing it while dinner is cooking. I seem to be either so hungry, or just wanting to snack. .
Me too. In an effort to stay OP, I ate a bowl of marinated mushrooms while getting dinner together. Then, I logged the calories in my daily plate.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote