Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 8"

Smile Struggle to Lose

So this year I had great intentions of losing weight. I started the year at 245lbs and have managed to slowly knock off a 20lbs since July. But I've hit a standstill. I managed to lose a litttle through food journaling and exercising in Jan & Feb but by July had gained all but 3lbs back. Then I decided to get in gear in July and lost a total of 26lbs by the last week in Sept. Then I got on "the Shot" and whether its coincidence or blamed on the shot I haven't lost anymore and actually gained 6lbs back. I'm fighting to control my eating again and get back in to exercising. It seems to be much more of a struggle the last two months to consciously focus on eating heatlhier.

So anyways now I'm down a total of 20lbs since Jan08 and hope I can be a little bit more motivated this month and lose that 6lbs by Jan09. I hope this coming next year will be finally the year I reach my goals!!!! It will be the year I finally get back down under 200, it will be the year I finally escape the 'obese' category in the BMI charts, it will be the year I finally hopefully see my ideal weight!

I'd like to do a whole lot more than lose 20lbs over the course of the next year. But I have learned alot. I learned food journaling helps me immensely in seeing how much I eat, how much it adds up and how fun it is to track my weight loss when I keep my net calories in goal. And really the only time I really was losing was when I was both journaling & exercising.

All tho I am quite dissapointed in the amount of weight I lost this year. I am amazingly glad and motivated that I did manage to lose that 20lbs. And I did it really only in a matter of 2 months. When I was focused on my food journal and going to the gym 3-5 days a week. So if I start that up again, (which I have been journaling since sunday and am going to the gym tonight for my 1st workout in over a month) I know I could manage to get under that 200lbs mark by my birthday in mid-March! It's only 26lbs. I lost that in 12 wks last time and I have 15wks till my Bday, I figure the Holidays might slow me up a little, but I'm won't let it much. So that's my story of my struggle to lose weight this year. Finally getting a headstart on the progress and my goal of succeeding fully over the next year!
Sun_Flower2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #2  
Transforming

S/C/G: 228/184/164

Height: 5' 7"

Congrats for the success you've achieved so far, Journey of thousand miles starts with a single step..so keep doing, keep counting every pound you lose, & keep persisting. You'll do it
rinku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #3  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

It sounds like you can definitely do it! - That is why I refuse to get the shot. every person I have known to be on it gained at least 30 pounds. - No thanks! Two of my friends had no trouble at all with their weight prior to getting it. I actually afraid of any BC interfering with my weight loss at the moment since I seem to be sensitive to it.
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:29 AM   #4  

Yes, now i wish I hadn't of gotten it. I just got my 2nd shot last week and REALLY wish I wouldn't of. I really think its doing something to my brain where I think, I should eat whatever I can get a hold of. And I'm thinking it is because of the horomones telling my body it's pregnant (so I don't ovulate and get periods and actually get pregnant), so since my body thinks its pregnant it's thinking, "Eat, Eat, Eat!" Ugh! So now I've made my battle twice as hard. I had just started to get my eating under control when I got the 1st one 3 months ago and my resolve to consciously eat better spiraled out of control.

I have a friend who said she gained 30lbs when she got on it and I don't think its a coincidence anymore that that is about the ideal amount of weight a lady gains when she's nuturing a fetus. So now I've got the next 3 months to figure out how to fight that desire and natural instinct to eat all the food that's available to me in my "cave".

I guess time to try extra hard to fill up on the fiber! Maybe I'll start taking a fiber supplement cuz I'm lucky if my fiber intake is above 20g on a normal day. Damn, Damn, Damn! Does anybody know a good anti-hunger pill that doesn't make you feel cracked out?

Oh the trials us modern young women have to face! Granted my life could be worse, but this just sucks big time!
Old 12-16-2008, 01:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 270/209/170

Height: 5ft 7

I hated the shot! I was on it for a year and I gained a million pounds. Im also really sensitive to bc.
Also, Im a big fan of just increasing fibre naturally since it is such an awesome appetite suppresant in itself. I found a great recipe for beans on toast which I eat often for breakfast or lunch, and I also increased my hummus intake since its delicious and an amazing source of fiber.
erinmagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #6  
Being A Better Me!

S/C/G: 211/191/150lbs

Height: 5'5"

Try to not even think of it as a challenge. Think, "this food is better than that food". Or "I think I'll go for a walk instead of watch tv". Stuff like that. Maybe because you are thinking of it as a challenge, it is one. Try to just think of it as a way of life rather than an imposition. If you want something sweet, don't have a fuss about not eating it, just set a limit and stick to it. Eating slower helps you feel fuller when you're finished. Fluids help your body use the food you consume better.

migotokokoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:17 PM   #7  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Height: 5'6"

This is working for me...I hope it helps you and anyone else that reads it. I found it on the web last month.... I am pasting it up hear for ya.
I always lost regained ect until I Read this Now its losing only.....

A
url=http://www.3fatchicks.com/] [/url]
Principles
Weight management may be difficult to achieve, but it certainly is not difficult to understand. When you consume food or drink, you consume calories. Your body burns calories to function, burning significantly more calories when you exercise. If you consume more calories than you burn, you gain weight. If you consume fewer calories than you burn, you lose weight.
Because your body requires energy simply to stay alive, you burn calories even when you are not exercising. In fact, you burn calories directly in proportion to your body weight. On average, a male burns 11 calories per day per pound of body weight. The average female burns 10 calories per day per pound of body weight. These figures are just averages. Some people will be higher or lower, since everyone's metabolism is a little different. Fitness Record allows you to specify the value which is appropriate for you. If you don't know, it is suggested that you start by using the average value for your gender.
For example, if John weighs 150 pounds, he burns approximately 150 x 11 = 1,650 calories per day. If he exercises, he will burn additional calories on top of that, depending on the exercise activity. However, if he does not exercise, he must eat 1,650 calories per day, just to maintain his body weight. If he eats more, he will gain weight. If he eats less, he'll lose weight.
For the purpose of calculating expected weight gain/loss, one pound is 3,500 calories. Each time you consume an extra 3,500 calories more than you burn, you will gain a pound. For example, Jane weighs 130 pounds, never exercises, and eats exactly 1,400 calories every day. Her metabolism is burning 1,300 calories per day, so she are consuming an extra 100 calories each day. If she does this indefinitely, she will gain a pound in 35 days, since 35 * 100 = 3,500.
Fitness Record uses another term, called Behavioral Weight. The idea is that over the long term, your weight is determined by your behaviors, and is best illustrated by example. Consider Jane above, who eats 1,400 calories per day. After 35 days of this behavior, she will weigh 131, instead of 130. This means her metabolism will burn slightly more calories than before. If she continues to eat 1,400 calories every day, she will continue to gain weight, but at a slightly slower pace. Eventually, she will weigh 140, at which time her metabolism will be burning 1,400 calories every day. At this point, she will stop gaining weight, since she is consuming the same number of calories that she burns. Therefore, by eating 1,400 calories in a day, Jane is behaving like a 140 pound person. Her "behavioral weight" is 140.
Exercise contributes to your calories burned. If Jane were to exercise, burning an additional 100 calories each day, then her calories burned would be in balance with her calories consumed. She could eat 1,400 calories per day, exercise 100 calories per day, and continue to way 130 indefinitely.
You may now be asking, "Why can't I just eat low fat foods?" You can eat whatever you want. But, non-fat foods can still have calories. Check the food label to find out if eating the non-fat version of a food is really saving you any calories -- sometimes it's not. Many programs recommend moderating your dietary fat intake, and that is obviously good advice. Eating low-fat foods happens to be an excellent guideline for keeping your calorie intake low. In addition, moderating your dietary fat intake may contribute to your health in other ways. However, it will not alter the mathematics of weight management -- you still have to eat fewer calories than you burn if you want to lose weight.
The problem with the way the human body works is that calories counting is tedious and difficult. Most weight-loss programs, as well as the so-called "fad diets", focus on other guidelines which are simpler to follow than calorie counting. However, none of these guidelines alter the underlying principles of weight management.

Last edited by Lori259; 12-16-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #8  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Height: 5'6"

a website that helps with calories counting that I am using is www.caloriescount.com . It also has Calculators to help with how much you burn a day from as simply as watching tv To Jogging and all the inbetweens.
It's a great help.
I Hope all goes well for you.(I eat more in quanity now then I did before But Everything is Lower calories...So This all may be helpful.

Last edited by Lori259; 12-16-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:38 PM   #9  
Slowly but surely

S/C/G: 210/210/160

I do a lot better with my weight loss when I'm conscientious about recording (honestly ) what I eat too.

As for the shot, I was on it for about 2 years when I was 19 (I'm in my mid-30s now) and in those 2 years I gained over 100 lbs. I went from ~110 lbs size 2/4, to 230+ lbs size 22/24. Yikes.
kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #10  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

20 lb is an impressive effort.

But about your contraception - I know that the plural of "anecdote" is not data, but I've been on the depo shot for 5 years now, and all my weight gain was prior to that. In the first 4 1/2 years I maintained my (high!) weight, and for the past 6 months I've been losing. So I don't think you can blame hormones for failure to lose/gaining weight. You may have to work a bit harder, but you can still do it.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:36 AM   #11  
Reached Goal Sept 11/09

S/C/G: 228/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I know that the plural of "anecdote" is not data
Primm, as a scientist, I love this SO much! That just made my morning.

On topic? I haven't been on BC since I was a teenager, so I really can't add anything to this topic.

Heather
MrsWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:35 AM   #12  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I have two friends that both claim the shot made them gain weight. One lady was quite thin before and after taking the shot, she gained 20 pounds within a 6 month period. My other friend--she was overweight before hand, shot up into (and still maintains) in the super obese category! I wouldn't touch the shot!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:36 AM   #13  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Lori, I am saving what you posted. I would say the estimation in calorie counting is spot on.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:09 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinmagill View Post
I found a great recipe for beans on toast which I eat often for breakfast or lunch, and I also increased my hummus intake since its delicious and an amazing source of fiber.
yes, I love hummus and don't eat it enough, I should try and eat a lil each day. so that beans on toast sounds interesting, could u post that recipe?! I've been trying to figure out easy ways to add beans to my diet too cuz I don't get enough of good protein sources, i think it would help my nails to be stronger.

...is Lori a spam-bot for that website?!!!... i'm not quite sure what the point of that was. that's basic nutrition 101. lol! I guess I'm always wary of spambots on forums.

thanx everyone else for your input too. i'm thinking this definitely is related to the shot, because I was doing just fine before I got on it and I didn't even think/know about the weight gain/connection to the shot until after my I lost my control on my "food thoughts". it's from reflecting on it that I've realized there is something else going on that is affecting my desire to eat. (not to mention the mood swings, my boyfriend has def noticed that! poor guy!) Before the shot I had gotten to where I didn't even have a frustrating thought about food because I had a nice meal plan with foods I like and fit into my life/work schedule and because I was eating 4-5x a day, I was eating good foods and I was losing weight, then all the sudden within 2 weeks of getting the shot I realized later, day by day I got more careless with my eating. Now when I think back on it, it seemed subconsiously my mind was telling me to just splurge or eat whatever!

For me it's realizing this and figuring this out and pinpointing the culprit is what I believe will help. Cuz I know its not me, its these hormones I got injected into my body interfering with the normal operation of my body chemistry and hence my hunger and satiety.

So I can plan for the next 2 months and 2 1/2 weeks while I wait for it wear off. I can plan extra carefully and make sure my mind & body is satisfied and fueled so I don't feel the urge to give into all these hormonal surges.

Anyways, I know it prolly affects each individual woman's body's chemistry differently and for some it is a struggle and for some it's not so much. I'm just glad to know I wasn't going crazy! So anyone else there I recommend sticking to just wrappin it! Don't get the shot! lol!

Last edited by Sun_Flower2; 12-19-2008 at 01:11 AM. Reason: correcting typos