General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Default So Angry at TMobile

I am so angry I'm just shaking. I don't even know where to begin.

A couple of months ago my Blackberry died and since I had the upgrade credit on my account, I got one of the new G1 Google phones through TMobile. At first my husband thought it was funny and geeky ... but he's played with mine and really liked it and decided that at some point he kinda wants one.

So. We agreed on a small budget for Christmas this year and we agreed that we'd buy each other one present. (Even though we're separated, we're still sharing and house and we're still really good friends and wanted Christmas to be nice).

You can see where this is going I'm sure. Of course I got him a G1 phone. With the upgrade credit I have and the discount from my small business account, I got it for the same amount as if it were a new activation - under $200. It was going to be a complete surprise. I did it today - went to TMobile, bought the phone, went ahead and activated the data plan, and told them I'd swap out the SIM chip myself on Christmas day. All well and fine.

Then I got home and hubby showed me his current phone - the new text message he got. Not 10 minutes after I left the store, TMobile sent a text message that said "Congratulations on getting your new G1 Phone. For information .... etc." with a link to the TMobile forums.

I'm so angry.

It's the ONLY thing I'm getting him this Christmas and now the surprise is totally ruined. I seriously am so angry I want to cry.

I called TMobile and they were all apologetic, but of course I'm not getting anything - no credit, no bonus, no nothing. And hubby has no Christmas surprise.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 12-16-2008 at 08:32 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:44 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

That's not cool, at all. There's nothing you can really do, but I would have thought TMobile would have gave you something, like money off your bill or something. Oy....
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:46 PM   #3  
Maintanier to the MAX

S/C/G: Maintainer

Oh man, I'd be peeved too. I'd go back to the store and ask what they plan to do, since they ruined your Christmas gift. GRRR, GRR, GRRR.
PearFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Perhaps I come from a unique perspective on this, but...is it really that important? I mean yes, it's unfortunate, for sure...but enough that you want to cry?

We're bad at secrets in this house. Very bad. And inevitably, something gets spoiled. And through many (many many) experiences of that kind, I've learned that the surprise on Christmas morning itself isn't that big a deal. Really and truly and honestly.

Most likely TMobile assumes that people giving gifts won't activate the plans for those phones until given, which though erroneous in this case, is probably their standard business model/customer. It was an honest mistake that wasn't made to spite anyone or ruin anything, and it's just one of those things.

I'm sorry that you're so upset...I can imagine it being disappointing for you. But again, I really and truly think that the "surprise" part is less of a big deal than most people make of it (and I say that as someone who is good both at accidentally ruining surprises for her wife, and who secrets are very hard to keep from..)...that's one day, and the gift itself will hopefully provide lots of use and other goodness on many other days.

ETA: Worried the tone of this came out strangely (maybe I'm paranoid) so I want to clarify...I'm not trying to say you don't have reason to be upset (You do! You wanted a surprise you can't have that now), but to say that, in the end, it'll all be OK and not be as big of a deal as it feels like now.

Last edited by mandalinn82; 12-16-2008 at 08:56 PM.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:23 PM   #5  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

I'll jump on any bandwagon hating tmobile. add me to the list. bahumbugg tmobile.
can't wait for contract to end.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #6  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Happy TMobile customer for 6 years.

UNhappy Tmobile customer for 1 year.

Since the economy tanked and the holiday season hit, their customer service has gone down the drain. Not to mention they have recently made a sport out of "how many random fees can we charge this customer?!?"

When I can afford it, I'm going to get an iPhone. AT&T may have terrible service, but if I'm getting a superior product, so be it.

Your situation kind of reminds of when DH and I went to the jeweler right before the wedding to have the ring inspected and the lady blurted out the cost of the setting in front of me. I ran off before she got to the cost of the stone. For a moment I thought DH was going to hit a girl
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Wow. So sorry to hear it. I would've been highly peeved too.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:47 PM   #8  

Manda,

I do get your point and to a degree, I agree with you. I'm actually not nearly as upset as I am angry. I tend to cry when I'm angry. Oddly enough when I'm REALLY upset and sad and hurt, I can't cry. It's been confusing to a lot of men in my life.

The thing is, Christmas surprises are a HUGE big deal in our family. Or in hubby's family, that is. We all pick names out of a hat for Christmas and keeping your "name" secret is a huge part of the fun for everyone (since we don't buy a lot of presents - just one for one, we all kind of think it's important to keep the element of surprise). So everyone gets a present from their Secret Santa and then little stocking presents from Mom and Dad.

And every year since we met (going on 18 years now) hubby and I have carried over the surprise game for the presents that we buy each other for Christmas. We have always played that game with each other - wrap the presents, put them under the tree and then pester each other to death with "what did you get me" and giving silly goofy answers that lead you off on wild goose chases.

Given that this has been a difficult year for both of us and that it's probably the last real Christmas we'll spend together, we were both kind of working towards making it as normal as possible (especially since we have to spend it with hubby's brother and SIL who are being really judgmental and rude about our situation) and being able to enjoy our friendship and enjoy Christmas.

So I guess I"m just more emotional about this Christmas than I would be normally - because it will be our last married Christmas and even though we're both ready (or as ready as you can be), it's a bitter-sweet sad time.

I dunno. I'm just angry that my last ever Christmas surprise for him was ruined this way. So yeah, in that sense, I guess it really is (was) that important to me. That important to make me that angry and upset.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 12-16-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:49 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

That's why I edited my post...to make sure it was clear I was saying "That sucks and I'm sorry you're upset, let me offer reassurance in some way by saying that in the end, it won't be what matters"...because it DOES suck. But in the end, despite the emotions associated with this Christmas, it will turn out ok.

I totally understand the angry crying. I'm a frustrated crier, personally, but I get it.

Lots of extra for you.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:16 PM   #10  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
Happy TMobile customer for 6 years.

UNhappy Tmobile customer for 1 year.

Since the economy tanked and the holiday season hit, their customer service has gone down the drain. Not to mention they have recently made a sport out of "how many random fees can we charge this customer?!?"

When I can afford it, I'm going to get an iPhone. AT&T may have terrible service, but if I'm getting a superior product, so be it.

Your situation kind of reminds of when DH and I went to the jeweler right before the wedding to have the ring inspected and the lady blurted out the cost of the setting in front of me. I ran off before she got to the cost of the stone. For a moment I thought DH was going to hit a girl
I've had AT&T for 2 years now...I've never had a problem with their product or service. I get great coverage and have never had a problem with their customer service....unlike Sprint and T-Mobile who we switched over from.

PC - sorry your surprise is ruined...

Is there anything that you could get him that he has been wanting? Something small? A book or something...

Last edited by zeffryn; 12-16-2008 at 11:18 PM.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:21 PM   #11  

Thanks guys. The sympathy has helped. And Manda, you're totally right. I'm ok with it now. I called TMobile and politely but firmly told them that they spoiled my Christmas surprise for my husband. Bleah.

Now I'm trying to turn it to my advantage. I just told hubby that since he knows what he's getting, it's only FAIR that he should tell me what I'm getting. He's not buying the bs here.

Oh well. I just made butter toffee and cake balls and am getting ready to package stuff for gifts. I'm doing ok. And I haven't even eaten any cake balls. Annoyance is good for something - when I'm annoyed and fuming, I don't eat.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 12-16-2008 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:24 PM   #12  
Let's do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeffryn View Post
I've had AT&T for 2 years now...I've never had a problem with their product or service. I get great coverage and have never had a problem with their customer service....unlike Sprint and T-Mobile who we switched over from.

PC - sorry your surprise is ruined...

Is there anything that you could get him that he has been wanting? Something small? A book or something...
Interesting. They consistently rate low in cust. service. I swear my DH's phone drops the call before he has a chance to dial .

I think the ridiculous random charges over the past couple of months have done me in with TMobile. Tme to give AT&T a fair shake.

end//hijack
Old 12-16-2008, 11:24 PM   #13  
Moderating Mama

Can you do something ridiculous with the wrapping? I'm thinking padlocks, entire boxes worth of tape, etc, then the box is empty and it's in his suitcase, or something? Scavenger hunt?

Since he didn't have to work to figure out what it is, make him work to get it!
Old 12-16-2008, 11:26 PM   #14  
Let's do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Can you do something ridiculous with the wrapping? I'm thinking padlocks, entire boxes worth of tape, etc, then the box is empty and it's in his suitcase, or something? Scavenger hunt?

Since he didn't have to work to figure out what it is, make him work to get it!
I like this.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:27 PM   #15  

Heheh. I like that idea. His mother is the packing queen and we always joke about the amount of tape she uses. Maybe it's time to challenge her skills.